November 3, 2023 Wheelersburg 34 - 0 Portsmouth

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Trojans vs the Burg

Post by trojandave »

Anyone on this site who is familiar with my posts know that I'm not some blabbermouth who spouts off without some really reliable information.

With that said, Portsmouth dropped Wheelersburg in football because the Trojans had become non-competitive vs. the Pirates. A conversation that I and biggdowgg had several years ago at a PHS--Rock Hill football game with an individual capable of making the decision had indicated that the series had become non-competitive. We tried to convince this person to keep the series alive, but obviously our urging fell on deaf ears. Not saying that this individual was personally responsible for the series being discontinued, but he was a person of major influence for sure.

Now back to the game Friday. GO TROJANS!!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:59 am
RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 am
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:29 am

Who has left Burg for Portsmouth other than the Maxie kid 2 years ago? Lol
His name escapes me, but he transferred same year as Maxie. Played football and basketball for Burg (would have started at Burg in both) but only played basketball at Portsmouth.

Two in one year, yet Burg didn’t drop Portsmouth in basketball.
Kenny Sanderlin and his little brother left Burg for phs
Kenny we won’t count on this thread, he never played football for Portsmouth. I’ll give you Dylan though. So that’s a 3-2 Burg lead so far.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

24-6 Burg, I see their line dictating both sides of the ball and stopping the Portsmouth run

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojan Dave is correct, Portsmouth definitely took burg off the schedule for what ever reason but like Dave said it was said to because of not being able to compete .

As far as one person said about burg coach being mad and having to scramble looking for a game,I'm pretty sure he knew a year ahead of time because if I remember right Portsmouth tried to drop them the year before but burg would not let them out of the contract because it was their home game,and rightfully so ,I wouldn't give that money either.

This will be my last post on this. ,I would love to see this game every year to ,but it's not my decision obviously lol.

Back to the game,there is no doubt Portsmouth is heavy underdogs Friday night but still,I believe our kids can compete,so hopefully it's a good game and maybe we have a chance to pull a big upset,it's very hard to win on the road at burg.

Hoping for an injury free game for both teams though so they are healthy who ever will be moving on!

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

biggdowgg wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:26 pm Trojan Dave is correct, Portsmouth definitely took burg off the schedule for what ever reason but like Dave said it was said to because of not being able to compete .

As far as one person said about burg coach being mad and having to scramble looking for a game,I'm pretty sure he knew a year ahead of time because if I remember right Portsmouth tried to drop them the year before but burg would not let them out of the contract because it was their home game,and rightfully so ,I wouldn't give that money either.

This will be my last post on this. ,I would love to see this game every year to ,but it's not my decision obviously lol.

Back to the game,there is no doubt Portsmouth is heavy underdogs Friday night but still,I believe our kids can compete,so hopefully it's a good game and maybe we have a chance to pull a big upset,it's very hard to win on the road at burg.

Hoping for an injury free game for both teams though so they are healthy who ever will be moving on!
100% correct and yes we had plenty of time to get a game. Our choices were limited since most teams are scheduled 2-3 years out but nobody was mad. I agree and hope we can get each other back on the schedule in the future. As for this weeks game I think the competitive gap between these two teams are still pretty far apart but not as bad as it was when we stopped playing each other.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Sanderlin leaving Burg was a huge blow to the Burg football team. He was one of the best LB's I'd seen play at Burg for awhile. I think it was a huge mistake by him because he was a WAY better football player than basketball. From what I had heard, the Burg basketball coach, Ater told him he was D1 basketball player and he should quit football to concentrate on basketball. Not only was he not a D1 basketball player but it backfired on Ater as Sanderlin left to play B-ball at Portsmouth.

IMO I think he had a legit shot to play football at the next level. Ater really messed that kid up!!

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Imagine if Lattimore would have stayed at Portsmouth.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:54 pm Imagine if Lattimore would have stayed at Portsmouth.
He wouldn’t be having as good of a season as he’s having right now. Portsmouth doesn’t/can’t throw the ball. So he would’ve been just blocking and playing defense. He will be missed on the basketball court though.

Who Dey!
GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Burg 34
Portsmouth 12
As great as Heiland is, he’s the only true weapon the Trojans have. If their pass game was strong, they’d be very difficult to stop. I see a Burg/Harvest Prep rematch in our future for the Regional Championship.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

GoBigI wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:29 pm Burg 34
Portsmouth 12
As great as Heiland is, he’s the only true weapon the Trojans have. If their pass game was strong, they’d be very difficult to stop. I see a Burg/Harvest Prep rematch in our future for the Regional Championship.
Not entirely true. They have a few other running threats, just no real passing threat. Both JT & Cam Williams can absolutely scoot, a threat to take it to the house when they touch the ball.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:09 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:54 pm Imagine if Lattimore would have stayed at Portsmouth.
He wouldn’t be having as good of a season as he’s having right now. Portsmouth doesn’t/can’t throw the ball. So he would’ve been just blocking and playing defense. He will be missed on the basketball court though.
Wonder if he’ll go back to play for Coach Liseth?

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Blitz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:32 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:26 pm Trojan Dave is correct, Portsmouth definitely took burg off the schedule for what ever reason but like Dave said it was said to because of not being able to compete .

100% correct and yes we had plenty of time to get a game. Our choices were limited since most teams are scheduled 2-3 years out but nobody was mad. I agree and hope we can get each other back on the schedule in the future. As for this weeks game I think the competitive gap between these two teams are still pretty far apart but not as bad as it was when we stopped playing each other.
No one wants to play a team that beats them 35 plus point a game all the time.
Ironton is dealing with this with Chesapeake Rock Hill Coal Grove.
Portsmouth is playing Ironton because it's a Rivaly one of the oldest in the State.
I wish Portsmouth would have kept playing Burg but they was at a place where their program needed fixed.
Athens did the same left the SEOAL to lesser competition in many's eyes but they won and found their footing enough to make a state tittle run.
Sometimes teams need to drop away from programs to get better seems Portsmouth dropping Burg may have been one of those times

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

fielddaddy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:37 pm
Blitz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:32 pm

Portsmouth is playing Ironton because it's a Rivaly one of the oldest in the State.
I wish Portsmouth would have kept playing Burg but they was at a place where their program needed fixed.
Athens did the same left the SEOAL to lesser competition in many's eyes but they won and found their footing enough to make a state tittle run.
Sometimes teams need to drop away from programs to get better seems Portsmouth dropping Burg may have been one of those times
True but what they did made no sense at all. They picked up a team almost 3 hours away and got beat I think someone told me 48-0. That had to cost the school a ton of money in doing that.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:06 am [quote=fielddaddy post_id=2086824 time=<a href="tel:1698802644">1698802644</a> user_id=17642]
[quote=Blitz post_id=2086779 time=<a href="tel:1698777166">1698777166</a> user_id=2604]
[quote=biggdowgg post_id=2086778 time=<a href="tel:1698776781">1698776781</a> user_id=1320]
Trojan Dave is correct, Portsmouth definitely took burg off the schedule for what ever reason but like Dave said it was said to because of not being able to compete .

[/quote]

[/quote]

True but what they did made no sense at all. They picked up a team almost 3 hours away and got beat I think someone told me 48-0. That had to cost the school a ton of money in doing that.
[/quote]

23-0 Gallion was the score. Trojans were in the game until late if I recall correctly.

Who Dey!
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

PTrojan59 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:36 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:06 am [quote=fielddaddy post_id=2086824 time=<a href="tel:1698802644">1698802644</a> user_id=17642]
[quote=Blitz post_id=2086779 time=<a href="tel:1698777166">1698777166</a> user_id=2604]
[quote=biggdowgg post_id=2086778 time=<a href="tel:1698776781">1698776781</a> user_id=1320]

[/quote]

[/quote]

23-0 Gallion was the score. Trojans were in the game until late if I recall correctly.
[/quote]

You are correct on the score. I looked it up on Joe Eitel. Funny how the 48-0 was told to me by a Trojan fan.

Still, this series needs to be played every year going forward. Back in the day, this was THE GAME of the year every year and there have been some classics. Two that come to mind was 1992. Michael Parker was the stud back for the Trojans and the Pirates contained him pretty well and won 7-0. The second game was in 2004. Trojans defense was dominating Burg and led 7-0 in the 4th qtr. Trojans threw a pass on the Burg 10 yard line that the Burg defender stepped in front of the WR and took 90 some yards to the house to tie the score 7-7. After the Burg kicked off, a few plays later the Trojans fumbled and Burg recovered in Trojan territory and ran plays and then kicked a FG and held on for a 10-7 win.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Portsmouth played Spring Valley last year which is a bigger school and more talented team than Burg.

I doubt Portsmouth is afraid to schedule wheelersburg.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:47 pm Portsmouth played Spring Valley last year which is a bigger school and more talented team than Burg.

If Portsmouth wanted this game they could have made it happen in the last 7 yrs

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

fbnut wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:17 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:47 pm Portsmouth played Spring Valley last year which is a bigger school and more talented team than Burg.

Agreed. If PHS loses to spring valley, not much repurcussion is going to follow. Lose to BURG, local team, and there will be a bit of noise. Even though spring valley is a much bigger school it a bit easier to take when they lose to them. BURG would've kept playing them but they backed out. The spring valley argument is irrelevant.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

packers80 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:44 pm

Agreed. If PHS loses to spring valley, not much repurcussion is going to follow. Lose to BURG, local team, and there will be a bit of noise. Even though spring valley is a much bigger school it a bit easier to take when they lose to them. BURG would've kept playing them but they backed out. The spring valley argument is irrelevant.
I’ve heard Portsmouth called Burg a few years back and Burg only wanted a 1 year contract and to be at home.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:54 pm
packers80 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:44 pm

I’ve heard Portsmouth called Burg a few years back and Burg only wanted a 1 year contract and to be at home.
Doubt it

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Football”