Wk 5: Bexley (2-2) @ Nelsonville-York (3-1) Thurs.

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Wk 5: Bexley (2-2) @ Nelsonville-York (3-1) Thurs.

Post by Buck Nut »

This will be the first ever meeting between the Lions and the Buckeyes. Game will be Thursday night.

Go Bucks!!
Skyrocket
Riding the Bench

Re: Wk 5: Bexley (2-2) @ Nelsonville-York (3-1) Thurs.

Post by Skyrocket »

Bexley

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

NY should roll the Lions.

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

Article by: Cam Robertson
Athens Messenger

NELSONVILLE — Sometimes in athletics, one team is just simply better than the other. No matter what the two teams may do out there on the field, one side’s talent may just outmatch the others where nothing can be done.

That turned out to be the case on Friday night as the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes welcomed the River Valley Raiders to Boston field to kick off play in the Tri Valley Conference- Ohio division.

Nelsonville-York (3-1, 1-0 TVC-Ohio) absolutely crushed Rivery Valley (0-4, 0-1 TVC-Ohio) by a score of 54-0, a dominant affair that saw a running clock implemented just midway through the second quarter.

The Buckeyes dominated from the opening kick, with sophomore Dylan Moore recovering a muffed kickoff before senior Gavin Richards scored on the first offensive play, an 18-yard run to start the team’s strong offensive effort.

From that point on, it was all Buckeyes as they imposed their will over the Raiders in a one-sided performance. Nelsonville-York forced three more turnovers in the first, another muffed kick recovery, a blocked punt and a turnover on downs that saw them up 28-0 before the first quarter had come to a close.

A pair of touchdowns in the second, a one-yard run from Richards and a punt return from junior Landen Inman saw the Buckeyes take a 48-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

“We got a couple bounces there early,” noted Nelsonville-York head coach Rusty Richards in his postgame interview. “Those first two kickoffs bounced right out of their hands and right to us. There’s nothing like taking two 20-yard drives for touchdowns to start off.”

Nelsonville-York only saw their starters play roughly a quarter and a half, with coach Richards opting to take out his first unit to protect their health moving forward.

It was a strong showing from the trio of Richards, sophomore Alec Thompson and senior quarterback Makhi Williams who led the Buckeye offense to a dominant advantage before ending their night early.

The trio accounted for all but two of Nelsonville-York’s seven first half touchdowns, with Richards amassing a trifecta of touchdowns, two rushing and one from a pass via Williams. Williams and Thompson also connected for two through the air.

Thompson in particular stood out to his head coach, who made sure to highlight his performance.

“Alec started the last six games for us last year as a defensive back, it’s nice seeing him get his confidence,” Richards said following the game. “He had a touchdown catch last week and then got those two early tonight. It gives us another weapon, so getting his confidence up has been nice.”

Despite the score and the high number of touchdowns, it was a relatively light night of work for the Buckeye trio.

Richards finished with just three carries for 25 yards and two touchdowns, while also adding two receptions for 59 yards and a score. Thompson corralled his two receptions for 15 yards and a pair of scores, while Williams finished his evening just 4-of-5 passing for 72 yards and three touchdowns.

The Buckeye offense slowed in the second half, with both the running clock and the nearly 50-point lead speeding up the final two quarters.

Nelsonville-York didn’t stay scoreless though, with a 75-yard touchdown run on the first play of the second half from sophomore Kaden McWilliams to score the eighth and final Buckeye touchdown of the game.

It wasn’t all offense for the Buckeyes, however, as the defensive side of the ball was just as dominant for Rusty Richard’s team. Nelsonville-York pitched a shutout, allowing just one single Raider first down in the first half, which came on their opponent’s first offensive drive.

Gavin Richards didn’t just star on offense, leading the team with six tackles while senior Jacob Jones and sophomore Austin Gautier each contributed five of their own.

“We’ve got some guys banged up, but a little bit of everybody stepped up on that side tonight.” Richards added in his postgame comments about his defensive unit.

It’s not every night a team pitches a 50-point shutout victory, but this victory is almost surely a strong start for what hopes to be another season atop the TVC-Ohio standings for coach Richards and the rest of the Buckeyes.

Starting 1-0 in conference play is nice, but Richards and his team knows that doesn’t make them special.

“We told our guys tonight everybody in the TVC was 0-0, and after tonight three would be 1-0 while the others would be 0-1, and we wanted to be 1-0,” Richards noted about his pregame message to his team. “As long as we keep going 1-0 every week, we’ll be where we want to be in the TVC at the end of the year.”

The Buckeyes will get a week off from TVC-Ohio competition next week as they welcome Bexley to Boston field on Thursday, September 14.

Go Bucks!!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Bexley used to be a strong team. Don't know too much about them anymore.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:41 am Bexley used to be a strong team. Don't know too much about them anymore.
They haven’t been good since Katie Smith’s brother stopped coaching them.

Skyrocket
Riding the Bench

Post by Skyrocket »

They have 2 wins. What is the total wins of the 3 teams that Nelsonville york has beaten ?

Glousterite
Freshman Team

Post by Glousterite »

Good luck NY
NY - 28
Bexley - 14

Statistics Are Like Bikinis...They Show A Lot, But Not Everything.
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Is the shortage of officials the reason for the game being played on Thursday night? I'll take the Buckeyes over the Lions.

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:08 pm Is the shortage of officials the reason for the game being played on Thursday night? I'll take the Buckeyes over the Lions.
From what I understand, Bexley could not play on Friday so we asked if they could play Thursday instead of cancelling during the offseason and they agreed. I believe it’s due to Rosh Hashanah being on Friday but I could be wrong.

Go Bucks!!
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Buck Nut wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:11 pm
VetteMan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:08 pm Is the shortage of officials the reason for the game being played on Thursday night? I'll take the Buckeyes over the Lions.
From what I understand, Bexley could not play on Friday so we asked if they could play Thursday instead of cancelling during the offseason and they agreed. I believe it’s due to Rosh Hashanah being on Friday but I could be wrong.
Thank youi.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Nelsonville-York’s wins have been against teams with a combined record of 0-12. Very uncharacteristic for Newark Catholic to be 0-4 at this point in the season. Their opponents are 13-3 though. I like N-Y in this game. If N-Y wins, it’ll ultimately help them with seeding in the region.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Running clock Bucks.

RupertHowdy
Waterboy

Post by RupertHowdy »

I’m wondering how most of you guys that have made a score/winner prediction came to your conclusion. Is it by previous years records/trends? I usually try to watch a lot of film that’s available and look at position matchups. This isn’t a shot at anyone or an attempt at starting an argument, I’m genuinely curious.

That being said, after watching what I could find of Bexley, I’ll say they are fast and their QB can be very accurate with the ability to run. They remind me of (2023) Newark Catholic but without the all of the mistakes. If NY goes into this thinking it’s gonna be a walk.. they could be in trouble.

As long as they keep control and adjust(which NY box coaches are superb at) to the things Bexley will do well(short passing with a surprise deep ball) they should be fine.

I look for this one to be low scoring in the first half until someone hits on adjustments in the second half.

26-24 NY

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

I agree with Rupert, their QB is athletic and appears to throw a nice ball. They also seem big upfront as most schools their size are. Should be a good one tomorrow night.

Go Bucks!!
Auntyjp
Waterboy

Post by Auntyjp »

Is this a home game for Nelsonville-York?

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Good Luck Buckeyes

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

RupertHowdy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:04 pm I’m wondering how most of you guys that have made a score/winner prediction came to your conclusion. Is it by previous years records/trends? I usually try to watch a lot of film that’s available and look at position matchups. This isn’t a shot at anyone or an attempt at starting an argument, I’m genuinely curious.
Bexley’s program has just been uncompetitive for so long. Since August 2021 they have wins over three programs: Lakewood, Grandview Heights, and Mifflin. Go back another year, it’s those three and KIPP in one of their first years of football.

Lakewood — chronically underachieving program. Lions just lost to them by three scores a couple weeks ago.

Grandview — great coach, but a way smaller school than Bexley and has faced serious numbers challenges for several years now.

Mifflin — City League programs in general have been bad for the last few years. Mifflin may be the worst of them all. Haven’t won since 2019.

The way I see it, a win over NY would be the first time in a long time that Bexley football gets a win over an opponent they aren’t expected to beat. It would be great for them! If this was NY vs the Bexley when John Smith was there, it’d be a pick’em or slight edge to the Lions.

Fun fact: Bexley’s freshman starter at QB? Greg Frey’s son.

Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

Auntyjp wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:02 pm Is this a home game for Nelsonville-York?
Yes

Go Bucks!!
RupertHowdy
Waterboy

Post by RupertHowdy »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:20 pm
RupertHowdy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:04 pm I’m wondering how most of you guys that have made a score/winner prediction came to your conclusion. Is it by previous years records/trends? I usually try to watch a lot of film that’s available and look at position matchups. This isn’t a shot at anyone or an attempt at starting an argument, I’m genuinely curious.
Bexley’s program has just been uncompetitive for so long. Since August 2021 they have wins over three programs: Lakewood, Grandview Heights, and Mifflin. Go back another year, it’s those three and KIPP in one of their first years of football.

Lakewood — chronically underachieving program. Lions just lost to them by three scores a couple weeks ago.

Grandview — great coach, but a way smaller school than Bexley and has faced serious numbers challenges for several years now.

Mifflin — City League programs in general have been bad for the last few years. Mifflin may be the worst of them all. Haven’t won since 2019.

The way I see it, a win over NY would be the first time in a long time that Bexley football gets a win over an opponent they aren’t expected to beat. It would be great for them! If this was NY vs the Bexley when John Smith was there, it’d be a pick’em or slight edge to the Lions.

Fun fact: Bexley’s freshman starter at QB? Greg Frey’s son.
Thanks for the reply!

If that QB is a freshman he’s got a great future ahead of him. I went back on Maxpreps and saw their record of years past and just assumed what you explained as far as what’s happened to them over the years. Thanks again!

Return to “Football”