September 1, 2023 Jackson 28 - 20 Wheelersburg

Blitz
Varsity

Re: September 1, 2023 Jackson 28 - 20 Wheelersburg

Post by Blitz »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:19 am
Blitz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:09 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:59 pm

No one is bashing Wheelersburg except one Burg poster who claims Burg would never lose if they didn’t fumble and would run the ball. You lose give the other team credit and keep working. Your rant is misguided.
I don't think RBH is bashing Burg at all. If he is then count me in as a "basher". It's a fact that we haven't beat the good teams the last few years. The old saying that Burg kids don't beat themselves is no longer true. Burg has always played clean and gave themselves a chance to win at the end... didn't always pull it out but were right there. That is no longer the case. The only game I've seen live is the Jackson game and to me we looked small everywhere but O line and got bullied a little bit by Jacksons skill kids. Some of the dads I talked to were saying that these 4 classes are the first group through that came up through the system since Burg went away from "NO DADS" involved (not enough volunteers) in the pee wee and Junior High system that Ed Miller had in place. I wonder if that has any impact. IMO Burg goes 7-3 and wins the SOC. But! If they go 6-4, lose badly to HP and lose the SOC. You are gonna see a lot more criticism from the community not just RBH who I think has been very fair and accurate with his critique thus far
Good point , there is definitely a noticeable difference in the size and physicality between the Burg players and Ironton / Jackson. Is it simply Burg is getting out worked in the off season ?
I don't know the answer to that question. The weight room numbers posted say that this team is one of the stronger teams we have had. I think it is more just we have smaller skill kids and all of Jacksons skill kids dwarfed ours and it doesn't matter how strong a 150 lb. kid is he is going to struggle with a strong 200 lb. kid. I got criticized pretty heavily by some of the meat rider Burg posters on here when I said our O-line will struggle to block this year. My assessment seems pretty accurate in hind sight. Luckily we do have one of the if not the best staffs around but they definitely have their work cut out for them to right the ship

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Blitz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:42 am

I don't think RBH is bashing Burg at all. If he is then count me in as a "basher". It's a fact that we haven't beat the good teams the last few years. The old saying that Burg kids don't beat themselves is no longer true. Burg has always played clean and gave themselves a chance to win at the end... didn't always pull it out but were right there. That is no longer the case. The only game I've seen live is the Jackson game and to me we looked small everywhere but O line and got bullied a little bit by Jacksons skill kids. Some of the dads I talked to were saying that these 4 classes are the first group through that came up through the system since Burg went away from "NO DADS" involved (not enough volunteers) in the pee wee and Junior High system that Ed Miller had in place. I wonder if that has any impact. IMO Burg goes 7-3 and wins the SOC. But! If they go 6-4, lose badly to HP and lose the SOC. You are gonna see a lot more criticism from the community not just RBH who I think has been very fair and accurate with his critique thus far
Good point , there is definitely a noticeable difference in the size and physicality between the Burg players and Ironton / Jackson. Is it simply Burg is getting out worked in the off season ?
I don't know the answer to that question. The weight room numbers posted say that this team is one of the stronger teams we have had. I think it is more just we have smaller skill kids and all of Jacksons skill kids dwarfed ours and it doesn't matter how strong a 150 lb. kid is he is going to struggle with a strong 200 lb. kid. I got criticized pretty heavily by some of the meat rider Burg posters on here when I said our O-line will struggle to block this year. My assessment seems pretty accurate in hind sight. Luckily we do have one of the if not the best staffs around but they definitely have their work cut out for them to right the ship
Which Jackson skilled players are you referring to being so big ?

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Wolford and #6 I think... it just seemed like Jackson bigger on the back end than burg.. don't remember any other specific numbers

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

a_c_m wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:04 pm All you Pirates haters, you act like they have been blown out in every game this year. They have lost to two very good football teams. They have scored 54 points and allowed 62, that is an 8 point difference. They lost to Ironton by 3, and to Jackson 8 both on the road. Remember, these are young men giving it their all. The Pirates will be ok down the road. Try once to give credit and quit the bashing. Rant over!
No one is bashing Wheelersburg except one Burg poster who claims Burg would never lose if they didn’t fumble and would run the ball. You lose give the other team credit and keep working. Your rant is misguided.
Thank you!

As I said, I’m a Burg grad. Big supporter and fan of all Burg sports. Facebook friends with nearly all the coaches. Grew up with many of them playing sports with and against. So I am definitely not a Burg basher.

Based on losses, Burg is in a bad stretch that we haven’t seen with one head coach since Miller took over in ‘72. Something has shifted. I have my theories but don’t know the real reason, hence why I brought it up on this board to hear other’s thoughts/opinions.

Interesting what you said about “No dads” involved. Not sure what to think of that. Some of the pee wee coaches when I played were not dads of any players. Assume that was just coincidence because I don’t recall that rule. For that matter, my pee wee basketball coaches were not dads either. But many of the dads of the boys in my class coached junior high and high school sports. Never really thought about this and the possible impact…

Anyway, hopefully the coaches pull this together and prove my concerns to be irrelevant.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Let's compare last year with this year in the three comparative games. Took me a little to find some stats, everyone wants you to pay something to get them. All I could get is Burg's offensive totals.

Game totals between Ironton, Jackson, McNicholas

Burg Offensive Yards - 2022 - 961 yards (one OT game) .... 2023 949 yards - Basically the same offensive yardage if you don't count the OT yardage

Burg Scoring: 2022 - 50 points Burg Scoring 2023 51- points

Burg Allowed Points: 2022 - 67 2023 - 62

Now, if they are struggling blocking this year, then they were definitely struggling last year. Because we are pretty much on par in all three games. I'll take a struggling o-line that amasses over 300 yards a game any year.

People see and interpret things the way they want to. In the Jackson game, Burg punted once I think, all other drives were stalled by turnovers, they need to fix that, and they will be fine.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:35 am

Let's compare last year with this year in the three comparative games. Took me a little to find some stats, everyone wants you to pay something to get them. All I could get is Burg's offensive totals.

Burg Offensive Yards - 2022 - 961 yards (one OT game) .... 2023 949 yards - Basically the same offensive yardage if you don't count the OT yardage

Now, if they are struggling blocking this year, then they were definitely struggling last year. Because we are pretty much on par in all three games. I'll take a struggling o-line that amasses over 300 yards a game any year.

People see and interpret things the way they want to. In the Jackson game, Burg punted once I think, all other drives were stalled by turnovers, they need to fix that, and they will be fine.
Agree , I’ve been hard on Jackson first 3 weeks. If Jackson cleans up its pass defense and doesn’t jump offside during field goals they win that game 31-14 which is where they should be . Hopefully both teams clean things up.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:46 am

Agree , I’ve been hard on Jackson first 3 weeks. If Jackson cleans up its pass defense and doesn’t jump offside during field goals they win that game 31-14 which is where they should be . Hopefully both teams clean things up.
:lol:

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Good data…

Now how do turnovers compare 2022 versus 2023?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:49 am

Good data…

Now how do turnovers compare 2022 versus 2023?
No idea but I’m assuming not good.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Jackson replaced a ton this year , they haven’t even came close to peaking as a team. I have faith they’ll have it together before league play.
Last edited by Ironmen98 on Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Ironmen98 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:29 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:05 pm Biggest win for Jackson this year will be a touchdown win against D5 Burg with three turnovers at home.
Who will be Burgs biggest win ? Minford ?
Exactly :lol:
Burg can beat up on NW and Valley the next 2 weeks and claim there back then get embarrassed at home the next week against prep

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

a_c_m wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:04 pm All you Pirates haters, you act like they have been blown out in every game this year. They have lost to two very good football teams. They have scored 54 points and allowed 62, that is an 8 point difference. They lost to Ironton by 3, and to Jackson 8 both on the road. Remember, these are young men giving it their all. The Pirates will be ok down the road. Try once to give credit and quit the bashing. Rant over!
Not so sure they are giving it there all and a loss is a loss

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Agree. Good post

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:13 pm Jackson replaced a ton this year , there haven’t even came close to peaking as a team. I have faith they’ll have it together before league play.
Jackson coaches out coached Burg this past game. Hall did a great job protecting his sophomore QB. Didn’t put him in the spot to make any reads on pass plays. Burg coaches took the opposite approach with their sophomore QB. Hence 3 to 0 turnovers.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JTEK wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:29 pm
Not so sure they are giving it there all and a loss is a loss
Burg's issues this year are turnovers and special teams.

If they get those things fixed, I believe they win SOC, and make a great playoff run.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:32 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:13 pm Jackson replaced a ton this year , there haven’t even came close to peaking as a team. I have faith they’ll have it together before league play.
Jackson coaches out coached Burg this past game. Hall did a great job protecting his sophomore QB. Didn’t put him in the spot to make any reads on pass plays. Burg coaches took the opposite approach with their sophomore QB. Hence 3 to 0 turnovers.
He took a physical beating too. If you’re going to pass 30 times against Jackson you better protect him. Didn’t think he was going to make it through it.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:34 pm
He took a physical beating too. If you’re going to pass 30 times against Jackson you better protect him. Didn’t think he was going to make it through it.
That’s true. Good way to get the kid hurt. Not sure why Burg coaches are throwing him to the wolves like this.

Hall handled his young quarterback extremely well. Thought the Jackson OC called a good game.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Burg Offensive Yards - 2022 - 961 yards (one OT game) .... 2023 949 yards - Basically the same offensive yardage if you don't count the OT

I am not going to argue with you... apples and oranges dude last years team was the second most rushing yards in school history with absolutely zero threat of a pass. Blocking was really the only thing they were good at and that was against 9 in the box every snap. that being said if memory serves me right we had almost 600 yards of rushing in the Mcnick game alone which skews the numbers a lot. Jackson and Ironton stopped us last year. The QB this year can throw but is running for his life and Lattimore/Warren have broke long plays when the QB can get them the ball. We have no sustained rushing attack this year so far. and I think everyone with common sense will agree that all 3 of the teams we played last year were better than this year.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:59 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:34 pm

That’s true. Good way to get the kid hurt. Not sure why Burg coaches are throwing him to the wolves like this.

Hall handled his young quarterback extremely well. Thought the Jackson OC called a good game.

Wheelersburg has the line and backs to run the football , a good size tight end , 2 good receivers . I agree pound the rock , run some play action , safe passes and build on it from there. Coaches sometimes are too proud to keep it simple .

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Blitz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:03 pm

Burg Offensive Yards - 2022 - 961 yards (one OT game) .... 2023 949 yards - Basically the same offensive yardage if you don't count the OT

I am not going to argue with you... apples and oranges dude last years team was the second most rushing yards in school history with absolutely zero threat of a pass. Blocking was really the only thing they were good at and that was against 9 in the box every snap. that being said if memory serves me right we had almost 600 yards of rushing in the Mcnick game alone which skews the numbers a lot. Jackson and Ironton stopped us last year. The QB this year can throw but is running for his life and Lattimore/Warren have broke long plays when the QB can get them the ball. We have no sustained rushing attack this year so far. and I think everyone with common sense will agree that all 3 of the teams we played last year were better than this year.
first, I was using total yards that I found online. Second, Wasn't trying to argue a comparison of last year to this year. I was arguing that your assessment of this year's burg's o-line isn't accurate.

I was using last year's team to demonstrate that our o line is fine. Right now our oline is amassing over 300 yards of offense a game and scoring a point average better than last year in the three toughest games of our season, despite a boatload of turnovers. And you would probably be surprised of how well our rushing attack is, I don't know off hand but I would bet we are near 7 to 8 yards a carry. That's just not our offensive identity.

Return to “Football”