August 25, 2023 Wheelersburg 20 - 17 Cin.McNicholas

wobycat
SEOPS

August 25, 2023 Wheelersburg 20 - 17 Cin.McNicholas

Post by wobycat »

Thoughts? They have some good offensive weapons. Should be a tough game for the pirates

RBH23
S

Re: WK 2: Burg vs McNichols

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:10 pm Thoughts? They have some good offensive weapons. Should be a tough game for the pirates
McNich lost to Beechwood on Friday. Not sure how good Beechwood is this year, but they are typically a strong program in Kentucky.

As for McNich, last year, we saw their backup sophomore QB. Not sure if the starter will be him or the prior starter when they come rolling into Burg.

I expect they will have a strong O but so-so on D. Burg needs to be physical to win.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Burg takes care of business at home.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Qb and kicker for McNicholas are very good players this should be a dandy

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:26 pm Qb and kicker for McNicholas are very good players this should be a dandy
Do you know if the RB for McNich is back this year? I believe he was #2.

Haven’t found much about them this year in the Cincy news.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:35 pm
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:26 pm Qb and kicker for McNicholas are very good players this should be a dandy
Do you know if the RB for McNich is back this year? I believe he was #2.

Haven’t found much about them this year in the Cincy news.
Not sure if he is or not

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:10 pm Thoughts? They have some good offensive weapons. Should be a tough game for the pirates
Burg by 35!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Good luck Pirates, get us some 2nd level points.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Go Burg!! Should be another dandy of a game can't wait and also look forward to the adjustments Burg makes after week 1

Burg grad 85
Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Burg 34
Mcn 13

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 pm
McNich lost to Beechwood on Friday. Not sure how good Beechwood is this year, but they are typically a strong program in Kentucky.

As for McNich, last year, we saw their backup sophomore QB. Not sure if the starter will be him or the prior starter when they come rolling into Burg.

I expect they will have a strong O but so-so on D. Burg needs to be physical to win.

I heard beechwood only had 26 players dressed against McNick. McNick couldn’t take advantage of that lack of depth so I say Burg will take this one.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BallDontLie wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:40 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 pm

I heard beechwood only had 26 players dressed against McNick. McNick couldn’t take advantage of that lack of depth so I say Burg will take this one.
Oh wow!! That’s really bad! McNich typically has a decent team.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Don’t know anything on their roster size but pretty sure Beechwood is a two or three peat state champ and the favorite again in KY’s 2A division.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

McNicholas has improved from last year, 2 new skill positions players from last years team. Lost to Beechwood, who has won state the last 3 seasons, 31-14 last week. On a neutral field I like McNich, but you never know how these high school teams will react to a 2 hour bus trip. Nonetheless, Burg doesn't get blown out at home, typically.

For Burg to win I think the path is to run the ball this week. I think the game plan vs Ironton was solid, just not executed fully. Oline played well considering Irontons size and speed, that was a tough matchup. The bubble passes to get it to 2 & 9 are smart, but poor blocking on the outside. We need those to get Rucker and the offense in a rhythm. I knew that was going to be a rough spot for Rucker, hopefully he settles in this week -- was visibly nervous last week. Nothing wrong with that, it was a huge spot for a Soph QB.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Burg has to figure out what type of team they want to be. Spread or Spread with a running attack. I feel as if they didn't have an offensive identity against Ironton.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:25 am McNicholas has improved from last year, 2 new skill positions players from last years team. Lost to Beechwood, who has won state the last 3 seasons, 31-14 last week. On a neutral field I like McNich, but you never know how these high school teams will react to a 2 hour bus trip. Nonetheless, Burg doesn't get blown out at home, typically.

For Burg to win I think the path is to run the ball this week. I think the game plan vs Ironton was solid, just not executed fully. Oline played well considering Irontons size and speed, that was a tough matchup. The bubble passes to get it to 2 & 9 are smart, but poor blocking on the outside. We need those to get Rucker and the offense in a rhythm. I knew that was going to be a rough spot for Rucker, hopefully he settles in this week -- was visibly nervous last week. Nothing wrong with that, it was a huge spot for a Soph QB.
I rewatched the MyTown broadcast last night and the first two bubble passes, the other wr out there completely whiffed on the blocks both times…

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:25 am McNicholas has improved from last year, 2 new skill positions players from last years team. Lost to Beechwood, who has won state the last 3 seasons, 31-14 last week. On a neutral field I like McNich, but you never know how these high school teams will react to a 2 hour bus trip. Nonetheless, Burg doesn't get blown out at home, typically.

Agree on running against McNich. That was the key to Burg’s victory last year.

As for stopping McNich, have to be prepared for those seam routes. They killed us with those.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

yea the blocking on the perimeter is key to this type of offense against a D as fast as Ironton had and McNich will have.
I'd like to see Lattimore line up in the backfield some this week, I think he will tbh.

From what I've been told, McNich has added some serious skill players from last season so those seams are definitely gonna be a concern. I think I like our secondary more this year than last year tho!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:07 pm yea the blocking on the perimeter is key to this type of offense against a D as fast as Ironton had and McNich will have.
I'd like to see Lattimore line up in the backfield some this week, I think he will tbh.

From what I've been told, McNich has added some serious skill players from last season so those seams are definitely gonna be a concern. I think I like our secondary more this year than last year tho!
McNich had skill to waste last year. Their problem was in the trenches. Burg ran at will.

Hope the coaches will prioritize the run and only pass to keep the D honest.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:07 pm yea the blocking on the perimeter is key to this type of offense against a D as fast as Ironton had and McNich will have.

Be careful running Lattimore out the backfield too much - he gets nicked up quite a bit. Thats ya best offensive player. Gotta protect ya assets too.

Return to “Football”