LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight Interview with Elijah Appleberry from Dayton Dunbar

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Elijah Appleberry

School Dayton Dunbar

Positions played Oline/Dline

Class 2026

What is it like to have your home games at Welcome Stadium now that they are upgrading it so much that it looks new?
I think it’s nice that there upgrading Welcome Stadium and giving it a new look, after all, that time.

Dunbar came in at 4-6 last season but ended with two wins in a row. What will it take to keep the winning streak going and have a winning season that ends in the playoffs?
We had a rough season last year we were not disciplined enough it’s all about discipline and getting and being responsible enough to do what you need to do as far as grades and not getting in trouble in and out of school because we have the talent and potential to go deep into the playoffs and possibly make it to state that’s how I feel.

As a fan and a member of PA Football News, I cover a lot of city league games, and for the most part, those teams have low numbers. As a player, what do you try to do to get more of your fellow students to go out for football?
I let students know about football and tell them to give it a try and it has pros to playing football it can be personal like it can be a stress reliever and things of that nature.

Offensive line, defensive line, middle linebacker, and punter. That is a full load. How much time in practice do you spend at each position?
I focus on my main position more like Oline and Dline but when we do have a defensive day at practice coach will let me get reps in at MLB and the same as punt team but Our coach James lacking will put me where the team needs me because I’m an all-around player and s quick learner.

Of the positions you play, which one do you think you are best at, along with the one you have to improve on the most?
I feel like I’m the best at Dline I need to improve the most on MLB as I just got moved there not too long ago but I have been watching film and doing drills at MLB so I should be alright.

What do you believe is your biggest attribute as a football player, along with the one thing you have to improve on to become more dominant and to open some college coaches' eyes?
My biggest attribute as a football player is my determination I am not a quitter if I can’t get something right I will practice until I get it right. And I feel like what I need to improve on is stop worrying about other people and what they think they are trying to make it to the same place as you. I just need to be locked in at all times to be different.

Who is the best player you have ever faced, along with the team he played for and the things that made him so good?
I feel like the best play I have faced is Trootwood Madison quarterback I just feel like he had all the requirements of a quarterback and he had major colleges looking at him.

Where should the state finals be held?
I feel like the state finals should be held at Ohio State it gets you exposure to different colleges I’m sure that would like to come and see the two teams that made it to state championships play.

If you could schedule one new opponent for Dunbar to play, who would it be and why?
For me, it would be Walnut Ridge because we were supposed to play them but I believe the game got canceled because of a strike that was going on down there we watched their film and I feel like it would’ve been a good game.

What are you looking most forward to this season?
I’m looking forward to our first game to see how we perform and how much we have progressed and I’m just excited for this first game at welcome stadium week one.

What one rule would you change in high school football?
I would allow hurdling to be in some situations you need to hurdle someone and college would see it and probably think Man he is very athletic.

What is the hardest part of participating in three sports and keeping your grades up?
I’m my opinion it’s not hard because it’s three different sports three different seasons but I would say the hardest part is just the different classes every year and having to just get locked in and back to that mindset.

Where is the best local spot to grab a bite?
For me, I would say Chipotle.

What is your favorite class or subject?
My favorite subject is math.

Who is your favorite pro football team?
My favorite pro football team is the Kansas City Chiefs.

Return to “Football”