2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Antonio “T2” Weaver from Columbus Independence

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Antonio “T2” Weaver from Columbus Independence

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Antonio Weaver

School Columbus Independence High School

Class 2025

Positions Played WR/DB/FS

How long have you played football, and what keeps you playing?
I played a lot of playground football without equipment but I have been playing organized football since around the 6th or 7th grade. What keeps me loving the sport is the feeling that I acquire walking out on the field every time knowing that there is nothing in the world that can make me feel the way it feels.

In your opinion, what is the most difficult part of playing high school football?
In my opinion, the most difficult part of playing high school football is having to juggle so many things going on during this time period in the life of advancing to be young adults.

What was the best and worst part of the 2022 season?
The moment that beats all others in such a great season was the Eastmoor v. Independence game you just had to be there, and I scored the first touchdown that game. The energy of everything was so high with Eastmoor arguably being at its best at the time, and with us coming out on top in movie-like fashion making history. The worst part of the 2022 season in my opinion was our playoff game against Canal Winchester, we weren’t able to showcase our full ability with major players in the offense being hurt. I hold accountability from that game with mistakes from me which makes it the worst as well. Not to mention it was the last game of such a great season, but losses only are lessons in disguise and showed us what we have to work on now.

Who was the best team that Independence faced last season, along with the reasons that made them so tough?
The best team that Independence faced last season is the Saint Clairsville Red Devils. They were so tough because it was like facing a mirror, but only with more players. They would attack you viciously but have more players with 100% juice and intensity to come in right after.

What goals do you have, not only for yourself but for the 76ers as a team?
The Goal I have for myself is to be the leader that steps up after such great role models have left. For the 76ers as a team, I determine a City Championship repeat year. I enjoy being the underdog because we always upset against the thought-to-be winner, including winning the City title in football and track back to back when nobody thought to even include us in the conversation.

If you could change one rule as far as high school football goes, what would it be, along with your reason?
If I could change one rule, it would be the celebrations after a touchdown hands down.
Given the fact that football is already expressive, a touchdown that was earned shouldn’t get a penalty for showing it off. Having hurt feelings from a celebration after getting banged in the rough sport is questionable.

I cover many of the Columbus City League games as a fan and a member of http://pafootballnews.com. I love the Thursday and Saturday afternoon and night games. As a player, how do you feel about them?
As a player, I can adapt to it and I have no problem with Thursday and Saturday afternoon games. I can understand why some don’t as well though, but for the night games I enjoy them because it gives supporters the flexibility to come to multiple games that week.

What's your game-day routine?
My game day routine is the same as my practice routine because it is so rich with focus. But one thing different I do is I stretch a lot that day and I store energy.

What have you done during the off-season to improve your game for this season?
I have worked with a lot of IHS greats this off-season to work on speed and technique. I have gotten a lot of camp work this year improving mechanics and I have begun to lift more this year, differing from last year's off-season.

Which side of the ball do you enjoy playing the most? Explain.
I enjoy playing offense the most, while playing defense is good to me as well, the excitement from making a catch or running down the sideline to score just hits more to me.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams making the playoffs for each region?
I have no opinion on it, It just makes the top have to prove themselves a little bit more.

Where should the state finals be held?
The Buckeye field, why not?

If you could pick one opponent for Independence to face, who would it be and why?
If I could pick one opponent for Independence to face It would be Beechcroft, They are pretty good in the City North.

What is your favorite class or subject?
I began to like English a lot this year.

What is your favorite activity outside of participating in sports?
My favorite activity outside of participating in sports is graphic designing.

Who is your favorite sports team?
I like the Minnesota Vikings and 49ers as football teams.

Where is the best spot in town to grab a bite?
Cajun Island is an underrated pick.

Return to “Football”