LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Cade Wolford from Jackson High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Cade Wolford

School Jackson High School

Positions played RB/ATH

Class 2024

How long have you played football, along with the reasons you continue to play?
I’ve played football since I was in the 3rd grade. When I got into about the 6th grade, I really developed a love for the game. I decided in 7th grade that I wanted to play football in college, and my passion has just kept growing since then.

What have been your favorite and least favorite parts of playing high school football?
I’ve loved everything about high school football. Especially playing at Jackson, it’s just an amazing experience. The whole town comes out on Friday night and the atmosphere is just electric. Truly nothing like it. Our stadium is incredible, and Ironmen fans pack it full on game day. My favorite part of high school football has been winning big games, celebrating with teammates after, and just developing lifelong friendships with my teammates. In hindsight, I’m thankful for the low moments of my career here as well, as they’ve made the highs that much better.

The Ironmen went 10-3 last season, losing three games by a total of just six points. What sticks out in your mind about those three losses?
We did 10-3 last year. Obviously, the playoff loss to Bishop Watterson hurts the most, because it ended our season. We never want to lose any games at Jackson, but losses will happen. Our losses to Ironton and Tri-Valley really opened our eyes to what we needed to work on and become better. We fixed some of those things and had a very successful year.

What will it take for the team to have a better record in 2023 and a deeper playoff run?
We will have to have a lot of younger guys step up for us in order to improve from last years record and playoff run. We have a lot of spots to fill as we graduated many starters. In our program, there’ll always be younger guys who are hungry and just waiting for their turn. I’m confident us older guys and our coaching staff will have them ready to dominate come August.

Who was the best player you saw last season, along with the team he played for?
The best player I’ve faced not only last year but in my career, has been Drew Novak. He was Western Brown’s QB and led the nation in passing yards 2 years in a row. A very dominant player. After beating us twice two years ago, and knocking us out of the playoffs, it was great to beat them last year.

What are your biggest strengths as a football player?
At this point in my career, I’m looking to build on what I’ve learned and experienced throughout my high school career. I want to further develop every aspect of my game in order to be the best player I can be for us this year. I take pride in my play even when I don’t have the ball while blocking for teammates.

Where do you feel the state finals should be held?
I think the HOF stadium is a great place to have the finals, however, I think it’d be cool to play them at Ohio State.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I look at it in multiple ways. I love the game of football and am all about playing as many games as possible. I’m sure many others are the same way. So having 16 teams per region just makes for more football games to be played, and who doesn’t love that? I can see how it can become a problem when a 16 seed has to face the #1 seed, but it just helps that team gain more experience for the next year.

Do you think the players from Jackson will miss the game against Wellston?
I think all of Jackson misses that game. It’s something that should’ve never gone away in the first place. It’s an iconic matchup for both programs and the people would love to see it again.

Can you share with the readers some of the schools that have been recruiting you?
I currently hold nine Division 1 offers: Akron, Eastern Illinois, Fordham, Indiana State, Colgate, Butler, Dartmouth, Columbia, and Penn. I have some interest from some other schools and will continue to work on their offers!

What are you looking forward to most this season?
I’m looking forward to everything this season. It’s my senior year, so I want to take it all in. I want to dominate and enjoy it as much as I can.

What are your personal goals for the season?
I want to rush for 1,750+ yards and have 25+ total TDs. I want to have at least 500 receiving yards as well. Overall, it’s not about stats. I want to be the best team possible this year, and that starts with me being the best possible player I can be.

Where is the best spot in town to grab a bite?
Toro Loco

If you could live in any place in the world, where would it be?
That’s a good question, there’s a lot of cool places. I don’t know that I could choose just one.

What is your favorite genre of music?
I listen to both country and rap.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Re: 2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Cade Wolford from Jackson High School

Post by GoBigI »

Extremely talented kid from a great, classy program.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Cade Wolford from Jackson High School

Post by VetteMan »

Cade is a tremendous all around football player for the Ironmen, first as a great running back and a receiver as well. As a defensive back he usually lines up against the best receiver on the opposing team. If a kid ever followed in his dad's footprints, it would most certainly be Cade. His father Shane was one of the best running backs that ever suited up for Jackson High School. He has a younger brother that will be a Sophomore this upcoming season, who very well could be the starting QB for the Ironmen this upcoming season.

Return to “Football”