LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Hunter Yates from Shenandoah High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Hunter Yates

School Shenandoah High School

Class 2024

Positions played Wide Receiver, Free Safety, Corner

How long have you been playing football, and what keeps you playing?
I’ve played football for nearly 10 years years and the thing that keeps me playing is the love I have for the game, the brotherhood you get from it, and my biggest supporter, my mom.

What are your personal goals as well as the goals you have set for the team this season?
Some personal goals I have for myself are to break 1,000 yards this season and the school touchdown record again. Some goals for the team would be to not only make the playoffs but make a deep run in the playoffs.

After watching some of your HUDL highlights, the two things that stuck out to me were your ability to catch the ball in traffic and how you broke free after making the catch. Can you share with the readers what prep goes into this, and how often you practice the things that make you make this look so easy?
Having strong legs and great balance helps me keep my footing and break tackles. lifting multiple times a week, and just working on my balance.

What is the hardest part of a Shenandoah high school practice?
The fast-tempo offense.

With this being your final high school season, are you doing anything differently? If so, what?
Just being in the weight room way more than I was in my previous years.

Have you heard from any colleges about playing at the next level?
I’ve heard from a couple but still looking.

Where do you think the state finals should be played?
The Hall of Fame Stadium.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams per region making the playoffs?
I think it gives lower-seed teams a chance to show other teams they deserve to be there and possibly upset and make a run.

Are you hoping to be invited to play in any of the All-Star games after the season is over?
Yes, I hope I get that opportunity.

Which side of the ball do you enjoy playing the most? Explain?
Offense is my favorite to play because I’ve played it more than anything else and I know wide receiver more than any position there is.

Do you feel that you and your teammates are role models to the younger kids who come and watch you play?
I feel like my teammates and I are good role models for the younger kids.

What is your favorite genre of music, along with your favorite song, and who sings it?
Rap, any Lil Baby song really but probably Freestyle.

What toppings go on your perfect pizza?
Pepperoni, and sausage.

What is your favorite class or subject?
Math because I’m good with numbers.

Return to “Football”