LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Owen Blaine from Minford High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Owen Blaine

School: Minford High School

Class: 2024

Positions played: LT, RT, C, DT

What have you been able to accomplish during the off-season to help you become a better player this season?
I’ve been on a carnivore diet for about 2 months now and have lost 20 lbs and worked on gaining about 15 LBs of muscle back. This is all to improve being quicker with my steps and improving in strength.

What were the best and worst parts of the 2022 season?
I’d say the worst parts were just losing games we felt like we should’ve won. The West game was a big bummer just because of how well the offensive line played that game. We had nearly 300 yards rushing and still felt short of the win. The best parts of the season were of course the wins we were able to have including our last one against Valley. To be able to fight through adversity with injuries and come win it in double overtime was pretty special.

How long have you played football, and what keeps you playing?
I’ve played since the 3rd grade. I think competing is what keeps me going and to be able to achieve one common goal with my teammates which is to win.

If you could pick one opponent for Minford to play, who would it be, along with your reason for picking the team?
I don’t know if I have any teams in particular I’d want to play but every year we scrimmage with Piketon and Fairland which are pretty competitive so maybe one of those teams if we could get them on our regular season schedule.

If you could change one rule in high school football, what would it be? Why?
I think the holding call is pretty inconsistent with high school refs and should be changed to 5 yards instead of 10 from the point of the play. I also think sometimes they throw the holding call when you either manhandle someone or when the play is just on the total opposite end of where the hold is which just seems like a useless penalty.

What is your opinion on the transfer rules in Ohio as far as high school football is concerned?
I think there are some problems with the transfer rules just due to teams being able to recruit kids solely for athletics which just isn’t fair and shouldn’t be accepted. But transferring for area and academic reasons is valid at the same time.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I think we should go back to the 8 teams in each region or maybe even have a play-in-game system. I just think the 16-team playoff seems more like a participation award just due to some below .500 win percentage teams making the playoffs which aren’t fair to the better teams that make it.

Where do you feel the state finals should be held?
THE Ohio State University.

Which side of the line is harder to play on? Explain?
I think physically the defensive line is harder but mentally the offensive line. Both sides of the ball are challenging for just little recognition.

Have you heard from any colleges as far as playing at the next level goes? If so, who?
I’ve been reached out to by coaches for camp invites on Twitter and other social media and plan to attend camps this summer. But I have no offers as of right now. Another goal as the off-season goes on.

Do you read or post on any message boards?
I’ve read some in the past during the season but other than that no.

What is your favorite class or subject?
I’ve always enjoyed history/government.

MMA or boxing?
I’d rather do boxing but to watch I’d say MMA I love the UFC.

Return to “Football”