2023 Interview with Head Coach Scott Clemmons Edgewood High School

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview with Head Coach Scott Clemmons Edgewood High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Scott Clemmons

School: Edgewood High School

Position Head Football Coach

Can you give us a brief history of your coaching career? Where you have coached and
the position you have held at each stop.

1998-2000-Edgewood Middle School coach, when coaching at the middle school level
you coach all positions.

2001-Monroe High School CO-Defensive Coordinator and RB coach.

2002-2011 Edgewood High School assistant

2002-2011 coached many different positions on both sides of the ball throughout those years.

2006-2011 Special Teams coordinator

2012 became the head coach at Edgewood.

What are your biggest concerns heading into the 2023 season?
Building on the success of the 2021 and 2022 seasons. We have won the league the last 2 seasons and lost in the
regional semis the last 2 seasons. Moving to a new league and playing new opponents.

What are you looking forward to the most this season?
Moving into a new league and playing new teams.

Who was the best player you have ever coached against, and what team did he play for?
David Montgomery from Mt. Healthy

Which team in 2022 was the toughest to prepare for? Why?
Anderson High School. Anderson makes you defend sideline to sideline and put you in bad situations defending them.

Looking back from day one as a coach up to the present, what have been the lows and
highs of your coaching career?

The lows are at the end of the season when you have to say goodbye to the seniors each year. Highs are winning the league championship, watching
players become better people and better students, and forming relationships with each player.

What are your thoughts on girls playing on the football team?
I have no problem with it and I have had girls on my team at different times.

What are your feelings about 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
The traditionalist in me doesn’t care for it too much and doesn’t like it, but getting to see
teams make the playoffs for the first time in school history is awesome to see. I was in
favor of a 12-team playoff bracket. I think the state needs to look at evening out the
numbers, if they are going to stay with 16 teams then each region should have 24 to 25 teams per region.

Do you think online ticket sales have hurt or helped attendance?
Hurt. I think people should be able to pay online or with cash. The cost to attend high school sports is getting ridiculous also.

Which football coach was most influential in shaping your current coaching style?
I have had the honor to be around some great coaches in my career. Some of the men that have helped me are Andy Olds retired Kings, Bill Nees at Piqua, Jim Place-Retired, Terry Schanke-Retired assistant Edgewood, Bret Stubbs-Fairfield assistant, Jason Krause-Fairfield, Dale Robertson-Retired Edgewood, Arvie Crouch-Hamilton, Chad Murphy-Winton Woods, John Aregood-Retired Franklin, and Steve Channell-Troy
assistant and former Edgewood HC. Steve was my head coach and my mentor for
many years as an assistant coach. All of these men helped me throughout my career.

From your experience, what makes a football player a leader?
To be a great leader, players have to understand that it’s more than just being the best athlete. A true leader
of a team leads in the school, community, and the field of competition.

What are your thoughts on multiple sports athletes?
I love multi-sport athletes. High school is a short time in these young people’s lives, I want them to enjoy the process.

Can you tell us which seniors from last season will be moving on to play college ball and list the colleges too?
Mason Green-Indiana State, Jake Valerio and Evan Swartz Wittenberg, and Tavionne Crosby-Wilmington.

Return to “Football”