2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Nate Freize from Ashland Paul G. Blazer High School

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Nate Freize from Ashland Paul G. Blazer High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Nate Freize

SchoolPaul G. Blazer High School

Class 2024

Positions played Tightend

What is your favorite part of playing high school football?
My favorite part of playing high school football is all the work that goes into it and going through everything together as one big family. Going out on the field with those guys and knowing everybody has your back is the best feeling in the world.

When the game is on the line, do you want to be on offense or defense? Why?
I would personally want to be on offense because I personally like to be the side that has to go score. I know the defense has more pressure on them, so I like that feeling of having the upper hand.

Looking back at only the road games you have played in, which stadium has been your favorite?
When we played at Bell County for the region title I think that their stadium was my favorite. I loved the rural area feeling and being up on that hill where it just seemed like there were no distractions.

Do you feel that you and your teammates are role models to the younger kids who come and watch you play?
I would like to think that we are role models yeah. I remember being a kid I always looked up to the older guys and wanted to be just like them, but I was kind of shy and just nervous to be around them. That’s why I think it’s important to come off as nice as you can so that way the kids aren’t scared like I was.

If you could change one rule when it comes to high school football, what would it be and why?
If I’m being totally honest I don’t really think there is a rule that I don’t agree with. I’m just focused on the game itself and as long as we can come out with a win it doesn’t matter to me.

Who is the best player you have faced, along with the team he played for, and what made him so tough?
I don’t know his name but I think it was West Jessamine’s QB just because of the ability he had to get out of the pocket and basically just become a running back. We really didn’t have an answer for him that game and he proved he wasn’t easy to tackle.

With this being your season, are you approaching things any differently?
No, just going to go do my thing and focus on one thing at a time.

How important is spring ball as far as preparing the team for the upcoming season?
I think it’s very important and really can be a huge difference maker. All the work we put it now has proved that it works and pays off come August and all the way through the playoffs.

What do you believe are the three top things you have to improve on this season to get better on the field and show college coaches that you are the real deal?
My main focus points are getting stronger, faster, and becoming a better and more well rounded player as a whole in terms of doing both blocking and catching as well as maybe playing some defense this year.

Have you heard from any colleges about playing football, and would you name some of them?
I have heard from a few personally so far and have actually received my first off from Alderson Broaddus. Some other schools I’ve talked to have been Wilmington, Georgetown, Thomas More, Butler, Kent St, and some others.

Who is the one team that you most want to beat this season, and why?
There are plenty of teams I want to beat this season but if I had to narrow it down to one I would probably say Raceland just because of the fact they killed us in our first game last year at their place. I believe we’re the better team and can 100% beat them if we can come together and play like we know we can.

Where do you go to get your sports news?
I follow a few local sports pages so I normally go to any one of those that talk about sports in our state. For our region, SportsTalk is a good page for news. Now just in terms of all sports then obviously ESPN.

What is your favorite class?
My favorite class is probably History because I find it so interesting just learning about the past and everything that happened back then. It really helps you understand more things about our world today and I just think it’s neat.

What is a talent that you have that most would be shocked to know about?
I have a big love for cornhole and I would like to think that I’m pretty good at it so I would say that’s something that’s probably not very normal.

Return to “Football”