2023 Player Spotlight with Logan Ford from Woodford County High School (Ky)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight with Logan Ford from Woodford County High School (Ky)

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Logan Ford

School Woodford County High school

Class 2025

Positions played Kicker / Punter

How long have you played football, and what keeps you playing?
I’ve played football since I was 10 years old, and I am going on to my 7th season. What has kept me playing is an absolute love for special teams and the subtle yet significant impact they can have on a game.

What is your favorite part and least favorite part of playing high school football?
My favorite part about playing high school football at WCHS is the extraordinary culture and sense of family. If I had to choose my least favorite, I could only say when we lose. I haven’t lost very much during my time at WCHS (only 3 games in 2 seasons), but when we have lost, it only pushes us to be better, and never want to experience that feeling again.

Have you been to any kicking camps? If yes, what have you been able to learn to make you better?
The kicking camps that I have attended the most is ProKicker. Legendary NFL punter Ray Guy founded the camps, and as you’d expect, the coaching is second to none. Fundamentals are key in kicking and punting, and the coaches at ProKicker stress this the most.

What's your longest punt and field goal in practice, along with the longest in a game?
The longest field goal I ever knocked through in practice was a 50-yarder. In a JV game, I hit a 36-yarder, that being the longest in game. Because I was a backup punter my Freshman and Sophomore year, I did not log an in game punt. However, this year I will be starting and look forward to many opportunities.

How often do you get to practice live kicking in practice?
Luckily for me, my coaching staff at Woodford understands and emphasizes the importance of special teams leading me to get many live field goals and punts in practice. If I had to say how often I get live reps, I would say every single practice.

Have you been to kick any game winners?
There’s no better feeling as a kicker than hitting a game-winner! Luckily for me, I got to experience this. Right before my freshman year, I played in a 14U travel football tournament. Against Middle Georgia Elite, I hit a game-tying extra point in the final seconds of the 4th quarter, leading to overtime, where I then hit a game-winning field goal. It was a great experience that I will likely remember my whole life.

What has been your most memorable moment as a football player?
The most memorable moment of my football career will have to be from my freshman season, where my team recovered 4 of my onside kicks. My head coach put me in to perfectly place the ball for a recovery, and I delivered! I also went 6/6 on PATs that game. It is just an overall great performance that I strive to duplicate.

Is there a coach or athlete that you look up to as a role model, and why?
An athlete that I look up to is Evan McPherson of the Cincinnati Bengals. Evan is a kicker for my favorite NFL team, and I admire his clutch gene. I couldn’t even tell you how many crucial field goals and game winners he has hit in only two seasons with the Bengals.

What's the best piece of advice you've gained from your coaches?
The best piece of advice that I have received from a coach was along the lines of, “Even if you’re not the biggest and don’t have the strongest leg, find a way to be consistent. Coaches would rather have a guy give them 10 45-yarders in a row as opposed to a guy who might give them a 60-yarder every 10 tries.” I have shaped my kicking ability to hit the same ball every time, and I believe this will excel me going forward.

How would your coaches and teammates describe you?
I would say my teammates and coaches would describe me as the guy who will get the job done. In all of the opportunities that I have been given in the game, I have delivered for my team. My teammates and coaches have instilled trust in me, and I have thrived on that.

What are your goals for the season?
My goal for this season is the ultimate goal. A state championship. Our schedule this year is tough as nails, but I believe this adversity will make us a strong contender for the 5A title!

Who is your favorite athlete?
My favorite athlete would have to be Ja’Marr Chase. Again, I am a huge Bengals fan as well as an LSU fan, so it just makes sense that I would be a fan of Chase too! Second-to-none catching ability, explosive speed, and insane athleticism all make up a superstar that so love to watch on Sundays!

What toppings go on your pizza?
Go big or go home is what I say! The toppings on my pizza are supreme: pepperoni, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, onions, black olives, and green peppers.

What is your favorite song and who sings it?
My favorite song is “All of the Lights” by Kanye West.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Player Spotlight with Logan Ford from Woodford County High School (Ky)

Post by VetteMan »

Good interview. I know what Logan will go through each and every game. Being the Punter and the Kicker are one of the two most under appreciated positions on the team. As far as I'm concerned, the Center and or the Long Snapper is the other position. Everyone may not know the names of those two players before the game starts, but let the Punter have a bad punt, or even worse the Kicker miss an extra point or a field goal, he will be remembered the rest of the game. The poor Center or Long Snapper can have an excellent game all night, but let him have one bad snap that affects the outcome of the game, then he and the kicker get to walk off the field together. Two under appreciated positions on the team.

Return to “Football”