Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Post by Tigernation2021 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:07 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:04 pm
irontonwizard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:24 pm It does hurt when you lose a couple of studs from Northwest that transfer to Ironton. It’s hard to compete and I understand
Well, the latest one was advised by some college coaches that he needed to make a move from Northwest in order to get more exposure and play against better competition. Also the couple "studs" the one was what a freshman don't think that hurt them much, but they didn't bring in a SOC1 title either.
This is such BS. Portsmouth football sent two lineman to major college ball in 2009 (FSU and PSU). Sciotoville had an OL that received around 30 offers (including SEC schools) and ended up at WVU. Pendleton himself played for West and ended up having a nice college career at MSU. Holden from Burg was getting noticed by college football programs even though he had zero intention of playing college football!

Hell, the most successful college recruit in recent years from SOC/OVC played at Minford. Cain Madden was 2nd team all-American one year and eventually ended up starting at ND.

None of the schools listed above played serious high school competition.

My point? If a player has the talent, they are going to get noticed. Camps, social media, etc…. It’s not hard to get discovered nowadays.
Think so?? So you're saying the young man is lying as to why he left?? Honestly that's not the 1st time I've heard athletes say the same thing either, it's not a matter of can they find this 1 place or 2 places. I think it's more of getting noticed by a larger group of colleges, and comparing this player to that player or this location to that simply doesn't work. However, since you want to bring up those guys what about the Tyler Gerald's and heading to IMG?? Colleges wanted to see him improve and go against better competition or do you think he just went to IMG for the heck of it? I get what you're trying to say and you can agree or not but your point is pointless though, if it's said it's said regardless of your opinion on the matter.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:52 pm

Well, the latest one was advised by some college coaches that he needed to make a move from Northwest in order to get more exposure and play against better competition. Also the couple "studs" the one was what a freshman don't think that hurt them much, but they didn't bring in a SOC1 title either.
This is such BS. Portsmouth football sent two lineman to major college ball in 2009 (FSU and PSU). Sciotoville had an OL that received around 30 offers (including SEC schools) and ended up at WVU. Pendleton himself played for West and ended up having a nice college career at MSU. Holden from Burg was getting noticed by college football programs even though he had zero intention of playing college football!

Hell, the most successful college recruit in recent years from SOC/OVC played at Minford. Cain Madden was 2nd team all-American one year and eventually ended up starting at ND.

My point? If a player has the talent, they are going to get noticed. Camps, social media, etc…. It’s not hard to get discovered nowadays.
Think so?? So you're saying the young man is lying as to why he left?? Honestly that's not the 1st time I've heard athletes say the same thing either, it's not a matter of can they find this 1 place or 2 places. I think it's more of getting noticed by a larger group of colleges, and comparing this player to that player or this location to that simply doesn't work. However, since you want to bring up those guys what about the Tyler Gerald's and heading to IMG?? Colleges wanted to see him improve and go against better competition or do you think he just went to IMG for the heck of it? I get what you're trying to say and you can agree or not but your point is pointless though, if it's said it's said regardless of your opinion on the matter.
First, I’m not saying the kid is lying. I’m saying that anyone giving him that advice isn’t telling him the whole truth. If you are talented, you’ll get noticed. Many athletes in the area have proven that. As I pointed out with Holden: he wasn’t even pursuing a football scholarship… Coaches still took notice. Why? 6’5” receiver that can run will get college attention.

Second, with regards to IMG, that definitely would be a move to make because of the exposure (which is off the charts) and talent one would face. However, Ironton is not IMG. Ironton, like all small Ohio schools, is a blip on the map.

Third, the talent Ironton plays against is not much better than what Northwest will face next year. If the kid wants a true talent upgrade, come play D1 football in Cincy, Columbus, or Cleveland. Or head to IMG. Ironton is only a slight upgrade. Or better yet, play against Ironton and really stand out.

Fourth, if a player is a legit major D1 athlete, playing against Ohio D5 schools, said player should look like Bo Jackson or Lawrence Taylor on Tecmo Bowl; just unstoppable. Again, this talent will get noticed.

But you are right, if the kids think that, then they should do what they think is best for their future.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:39 pm

You’re 100% right you don’t have to move to play against big time competition, plenty of successful names. If this is the case why do these big prep high schools like IMG Mater Dei and such exist? Truthfully do you think Perkins gets the looks he had at Valley to go to Cincinnati if he stayed there and not went to Ironton, bc I don’t think so. It helped him
Ironton is not IMG or Mater Dei! Ironton couldn’t even compete in the GCL South; would never win a game. Also, Ironton’s schedule is nowhere near that level. We could take the top players from the teams Ironton plays next year, use those top players to create an all-star team, and that team would still not be close to the level of talent of the teams that IMG, Mater Dei, Moeller, St X, etc plays. So no reason to even compare or mention those schools.

If Perkins is truly D1 talent, then yes. Holden got those looks and wasn’t even pursuing a football scholarship. The kid from Sciotoville received as many or more offers than Perkins. Sciotoville!!!

I know this may shock some of you, but over the years, many kids from various schools in the area have gotten major college scholarships. It does happen outside of Ironton!

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

The Ironton D1 phenomenon is very much alive . I’ve never seen a school get so many kids into college for football. What Pendleton has done there in a few years is amazing. More and more players will migrate to Ironton and you can’t blame them.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:35 am

You’re 100% right you don’t have to move to play against big time competition, plenty of successful names. If this is the case why do these big prep high schools like IMG Mater Dei and such exist? Truthfully do you think Perkins gets the looks he had at Valley to go to Cincinnati if he stayed there and not went to Ironton, bc I don’t think so. It helped him
Ironton is not IMG or Mater Dei! Ironton couldn’t even compete in the GCL South; would never win a game. Also, Ironton’s schedule is nowhere near that level. We could take the top players from the teams Ironton plays next year, use those top players to create an all-star team, and that team would still not be close to the level of talent of the teams that IMG, Mater Dei, Moeller, St X, etc plays. So no reason to even compare or mention those schools.

If Perkins is truly D1 talent, then yes. Holden got those looks and wasn’t even pursuing a football scholarship. The kid from Sciotoville received as many or more offers than Perkins. Sciotoville!!!

I know this may shock some of you, but over the years, many kids from various schools in the area have gotten major college scholarships. It does happen outside of Ironton!
Well no kidding they aren’t competing in the GCL South it’d be a miracle if any team from SEO scored a point agains the door mat of that conference. It was more or less asking the fact of why do kids transfer to play better comp. As far as facing better competition when you consistently make deep post season runs the cream rises to the top so they are playing good teams.
Also the 2 kids you listed as examples of getting high profile looks, Holden a 6’5 freak and and an offense that utilized him a ton and Scott from East was another huge physical specimen he was what 6’4 and knew how to use his frame, also he played Offensive Line, so it didn’t matter where we was he was going to have success due to how good he was. Perkins was a 6’3 receiver with some nice speed, if he didn’t leave Valley would they have utilized him to his potential like Ironton?

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:05 am

Well no kidding they aren’t competing in the GCL South it’d be a miracle if any team from SEO scored a point agains the door mat of that conference. It was more or less asking the fact of why do kids transfer to play better comp. As far as facing better competition when you consistently make deep post season runs the cream rises to the top so they are playing good teams.
Also the 2 kids you listed as examples of getting high profile looks, Holden a 6’5 freak and and an offense that utilized him a ton and Scott from East was another huge physical specimen he was what 6’4 and knew how to use his frame, also he played Offensive Line, so it didn’t matter where we was he was going to have success due to how good he was. Perkins was a 6’3 receiver with some nice speed, if he didn’t leave Valley would they have utilized him to his potential like Ironton?
All of these kids getting looks from big colleges are physical freaks. Hence my point about it being more about the athlete…

As for Perkins, we are obviously just speculating, but I think his talents would be utilized more at Valley. There, he is far and away the top dog and would get as many touches as humanly possible. Ironton had to share the wealth.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What everyone Is saying is that Ironton is really good because they are getting quality transfers.

Northwest is now hurting because they have had two or three of their best players leave. Some coaches don’t have the time to promote their kids like others do. They have family and teaching jobs. Kids can still get recruited but they would have to do things themselves.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

irontonwizard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:24 pm It does hurt when you lose a couple of studs from Northwest that transfer to Ironton. It’s hard to compete and I understand
Advised by college coaches? Or recruiting/exposure services?

This is 100%. Kids who play against lower level talent have to step up their recruiting game though. More camps and expos to get noticed. More social media activity. But if they have the talent, the offers will come.

The Tomlison guy from Eastern Pike comes to mind. Has never paid a dime for 5 years of schooling, and started all 5 years on the O Line, 4 of those in D1 programs (UMass and Western Carolina).

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:11 am
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:05 am

All of these kids getting looks from big colleges are physical freaks. Hence my point about it being more about the athlete…

As for Perkins, we are obviously just speculating, but I think his talents would be utilized more at Valley. There, he is far and away the top dog and would get as many touches as humanly possible. Ironton had to share the wealth.

We will be splitting hairs for day on how the true talent and usage of a player, however I think there is a major difference between Valley being a one and done playoff team and their season ending sooner and Ironton who has consistently made deep runs and playing good teams and better competition to compete against

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Tigernation2021
Varsity

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:20 am

First, I’m not saying the kid is lying. I’m saying that anyone giving him that advice isn’t telling him the whole truth. If you are talented, you’ll get noticed. Many athletes in the area have proven that. As I pointed out with Holden: he wasn’t even pursuing a football scholarship… Coaches still took notice. Why? 6’5” receiver that can run will get college attention.

Second, with regards to IMG, that definitely would be a move to make because of the exposure (which is off the charts) and talent one would face. However, Ironton is not IMG. Ironton, like all small Ohio schools, is a blip on the map.

Third, the talent Ironton plays against is not much better than what Northwest will face next year. If the kid wants a true talent upgrade, come play D1 football in Cincy, Columbus, or Cleveland. Or head to IMG. Ironton is only a slight upgrade. Or better yet, play against Ironton and really stand out.

Fourth, if a player is a legit major D1 athlete, playing against Ohio D5 schools, said player should look like Bo Jackson or Lawrence Taylor on Tecmo Bowl; just unstoppable. Again, this talent will get noticed.

But you are right, if the kids think that, then they should do what they think is best for their future.
I think your 3rd point is the most valid, especially with the offense that NW runs and the teams they go against. Plus, Ironton making deep runs is also beneficial one QB in the area was told it's about making playoff runs not necessarily your stats. He was also wanting to switch to WR and he wouldn't have gotten that chance at NW. You are correct in that lower level divisions and less populated areas the recruits have to work harder to get noticed and this is what Ironton is doing for them and making the recruiting much easier.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

GoIrish wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:29 am

This is 100%. Kids who play against lower level talent have to step up their recruiting game though. More camps and expos to get noticed. More social media activity. But if they have the talent, the offers will come.

The Tomlison guy from Eastern Pike comes to mind. Has never paid a dime for 5 years of schooling, and started all 5 years on the O Line, 4 of those in D1 programs (UMass and Western Carolina).
Told it was coaches but I'm sure he was told by recruiting services also. In terms of Tomlison he had to work his tail off and ended up starting off going Iowa Western a JUCO school to start so let's not act like he jumped out the gate to UMASS and Western Carolina. High character player and one of the hardest workers you'll see on and off the field and getting offers was still a struggle. Now put him at Ironton and where the OL they have right now are getting offers to he would've had double digit offers. It matters where you're at and it for sure determines the amount of effort a player has to put in most local school coaches simply can't help very much in the recruiting aspect they just don't have the means or the information needed.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:47 pm

Told it was coaches but I'm sure he was told by recruiting services also. In terms of Tomlison he had to work his tail off and ended up starting off going Iowa Western a JUCO school to start so let's not act like he jumped out the gate to UMASS and Western Carolina. High character player and one of the hardest workers you'll see on and off the field and getting offers was still a struggle. Now put him at Ironton and where the OL they have right now are getting offers to he would've had double digit offers. It matters where you're at and it for sure determines the amount of effort a player has to put in most local school coaches simply can't help very much in the recruiting aspect they just don't have the means or the information needed.
No offense to D5-D7 Ohio schools, but the talent is not typically D1 level. Kirtland dominates and rarely produces a D1 athlete. Same with the MAC schools. The competition is just not good compared to the bigger schools.

So what should kids in these schools do?

Baseball/softball? Play travel ball. This is how all of the Burg softball players get noticed.

Basketball? AAU. Kids actually get scholarships who have never played for their high school team.

Football? Go to camps. Seeing a kid play against other elite talent will catch college recruiters’ attention.

If you are an athlete, and you do the above, you will get colleges to notice you.

But just playing D5 level football regardless of the team is going to get much notice. Just not competitive enough.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

His very first offer was Iowa State after his sophomore year. Then Central Florida. Then some MAC schools. Then PWO at Cincinnati and OSU. He waited too long to commit because he was holding out for one specific offer that never came. Those offers to O linemen don't last. Schools offer 6 o linemen but only have room to take 3, so first dibs gets it. That's why he went JuCo at Iowa Western. He said he'd commit to the first D1 offer he got after a season of JuCo, and that's how he ended up at UMass. A tough lesson to learn, but one I'm certain his younger brother has in the forefront of his mind.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

GoIrish wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:28 pm

His very first offer was Iowa State after his sophomore year. Then Central Florida. Then some MAC schools. Then PWO at Cincinnati and OSU. He waited too long to commit because he was holding out for one specific offer that never came. Those offers to O linemen don't last. Schools offer 6 o linemen but only have room to take 3, so first dibs gets it. That's why he went JuCo at Iowa Western. He said he'd commit to the first D1 offer he got after a season of JuCo, and that's how he ended up at UMass. A tough lesson to learn, but one I'm certain his younger brother has in the forefront of his mind.
Iowa State didn't offer he did take an unofficial visit there, his first offer came from UCF and then from Tennessee Tech. After that it was JUCO and the rest is history, you are correct those OL offers don't last long and waiting for a certain school did hurt. They learned a ton about the recruiting aspect of things with Dalton and Brewer will benefit a ton from those lessons. Looking forward to seeing him throughout his years in HS, as he went down to Ironton and won offensive lineman of the showcase camp.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:38 pm
RBH23 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:20 am

I think your 3rd point is the most valid, especially with the offense that NW runs and the teams they go against. Plus, Ironton making deep runs is also beneficial one QB in the area was told it's about making playoff runs not necessarily your stats. He was also wanting to switch to WR and he wouldn't have gotten that chance at NW. You are correct in that lower level divisions and less populated areas the recruits have to work harder to get noticed and this is what Ironton is doing for them and making the recruiting much easier.
May I ask who your talking about. Qb wanting to switch to wr and wouldn't have gotten that chance at NW.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

NCAA Division 1 football recruiting rules
D1 football coaches can send athletes recruiting questionnaires, camp brochures and non-athletic institutional publications freshman and sophomore year. Most other contact begins September 1 of the athlete’s junior year, according to the NCAA football recruiting rules.

Junior Year: September 1: Athletes can receive any form of private, electronic communication. This includes emails, recruiting materials, texts and direct messages on social media.
April 1 through the Sunday before the last Wednesday in June: A college may pay for a prospective student-athlete and two family members to visit campus. After this date, a college may offer an expense-paid visit after Sept. 1 of senior year.
April 15 through May 31: A coach may call a prospective student-athlete one time during this period.
Senior Year:

July 1 before senior year: Coaches can contact athletes off-campus, but only during the contact periods. Coaches are only allowed six off-campus contacts with each student-athlete.
First day of classes: Athletes can take official visits, using a maximum of five.
September 1: Coaches can call athletes once a week after this time, and they can call recruits unlimited times during the contact period.
Evaluation days: Coaches can evaluate each recruit three times. They can take one evaluation per recruit in the fall, and then two evaluations from April 15 to May 31.

The above was taken from https://www.ncsasports.org/football/rec ... s-calendar

I cringe every time I hear a kid getting offers before the legal time. Emails and camp invites are a dime a dozen. They are not the same as an offer nor does it mean that the school is even interested in you. But they will take your camp fee.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

For anybody interested:
@Southeastern
Greenfield McClain
Huntington Ross
@Wheelersburg
Minford
Valley
@ Vinton County
West
@Waverly
@Oak Hill

Just so the crazy talk stops.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

But if it wasn’t this, so what? Geez

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bfry wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:48 pm But if it wasn’t this, so what? Geez
Other than leaving league schools scrambling to find last-minute replacement games, no biggie. It easy for AD’s to find suitable football opponents in April/May for an upcoming season.

Arbiterlive still showing Manchester on Northwest’s schedule for Week 8, fwiw.*

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

That would be their problems guess. If that was indeed the case.

Return to “Football”