Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Tartanblue
SEO

Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Post by Tartanblue »

Read an article this morning that Northwest who is moving back to the SOC II may be looking to forfeit games against West, Wheelersburg, and Minford. If true why sabotage your own program after you just put confidence in your players to now basically say you're not good enough to play the bigger schools. Why even be in the SOC then?

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Northwest possibly destroying their own program??

Post by wobycat »

Tartanblue wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:40 am Read an article this morning that Northwest who is moving back to the SOC II may be looking to forfeit games against West, Wheelersburg, and Minford. If true why sabotage your own program after you just put confidence in your players to now basically say you're not good enough to play the bigger schools. Why even be in the SOC then?
I don't think people realize the dwindling school population in our area.

The only reason burg is maintaining is due to open enrollment. Wheelersburg without open enrollment would be a d6 school easy. Even Ironton would flirt with it.

There is a reason multiple schools are searching for a 3rd SOC division. It happened in basketball, it probably needs to happen in football.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:48 am
Tartanblue wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:40 am Read an article this morning that Northwest who is moving back to the SOC II may be looking to forfeit games against West, Wheelersburg, and Minford. If true why sabotage your own program after you just put confidence in your players to now basically say you're not good enough to play the bigger schools. Why even be in the SOC then?

The only reason burg is maintaining is due to open enrollment. Wheelersburg without open enrollment would be a d6 school easy. Even Ironton would flirt with it.

There is a reason multiple schools are searching for a 3rd SOC division. It happened in basketball, it probably needs to happen in football.
If what is happening to NW is true, I wonder if the SOC could get Ironton to join SOC II for Football only and split up SOC II into 2 subgroups, especially if they aren't able to add the teams needed for 3 divisions.

Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Valley

Ironton
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

You play everyone in your group + 2 crossover games alternating every season for 5 conference games. It'd give Burg and Ironton the 5 non-conference games to schedule up as big as desired. Northwest and Oak Hill avoid some of the heavy weights and be able to schedule down non-conference. Of course if teams desire to maintain rivalries annually, they can maintain them with 1-2 of their non-conference slots. I think Burg and West would both still desire to maintain Valley and Minford in the years they miss because gate and could be separated in a way that only 1 non-conference slot is used annually.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Where is the article?

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

a_c_m wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:32 am
Where is the article?
https://www.sciotocountydailynews.com/n ... -play-them

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Where is the article?
https://www.sciotocountydailynews.com/n ... play-them/

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:04 am

If what is happening to NW is true, I wonder if the SOC could get Ironton to join SOC II for Football only and split up SOC II into 2 subgroups, especially if they aren't able to add the teams needed for 3 divisions.

Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Valley

Ironton
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

You play everyone in your group + 2 crossover games alternating every season for 5 conference games. It'd give Burg and Ironton the 5 non-conference games to schedule up as big as desired. Northwest and Oak Hill avoid some of the heavy weights and be able to schedule down non-conference. Of course if teams desire to maintain rivalries annually, they can maintain them with 1-2 of their non-conference slots. I think Burg and West would both still desire to maintain Valley and Minford in the years they miss because gate and could be separated in a way that only 1 non-conference slot is used annually.
What exactly is happening to them? A few years ago they asked to be moved to the SOC I so they could rebuild their program so they wouldn't lose it. They became competitive and players gained confidence shoot I believe they even beat Portsmouth in a playoff game. You have players starting to believe in themselves. To now move back up knowing it was going to happen eventually and you even prepared for it with new facilities to now be willing to pay west, Burg, and Minford not to play them and travel at least 3 hours away.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:48 am
Where is the article?
https://www.sciotocountydailynews.com/n ... -play-them
Thanks!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

True, and very sad. Hate seeing this decline.

I remember when all SOC schools had freshman teams; Northwest included. Now, I believe Burg is the only SOC school that fields a freshman team.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I find it kind of funny they say Minford burg and west yet leave Waverly the biggest in the SOC off that list. Also very pathetic they are thinking of doing this very on brand for our current climate

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

It's a soft culture situation. You see travel teams going to tournaments and winning rings at age 9 ! Our sports culture continues to get worse and worse but yet it's ok when you bail teams out and give them participation trophies.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

They are looking to go Independent I think. The problem the next couple seasons will be numbers. They will be lucky to have over 30 kids this coming season and will probably only have maybe 10 upper classmen. It's sad but I think going independent is the only way to actually
save the program.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

baseball16 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 pm It's a soft culture situation. You see travel teams going to tournaments and winning rings at age 9 ! Our sports culture continues to get worse and worse but yet it's ok when you bail teams out and give them participation trophies.
My buddy Paladin used to say that most of the teams in SEO are afraid of competition. This is another example that proves him right. Just give everyone a trophy. Don’t even turn on the scoreboard anymore. Maybe little Joey won’t get his feelings hurt anymore. Oh and let everyone play whatever position mommy and daddy wants them to. Everyone gets equal playing time too. But if they lose we gotta fire the coach and hire daddy. He’ll show’em how it’s done. :mrgreen:

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:58 pm
baseball16 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 pm It's a soft culture situation. You see travel teams going to tournaments and winning rings at age 9 ! Our sports culture continues to get worse and worse but yet it's ok when you bail teams out and give them participation trophies.
My buddy Paladin used to say that most of the teams in SEO are afraid of competition. This is another example that proves him right. Just give everyone a trophy. Don’t even turn on the scoreboard anymore. Maybe little Joey won’t get his feelings hurt anymore. Oh and let everyone play whatever position mommy and daddy wants them to. Everyone gets equal playing time too. But if they lose we gotta fire the coach and hire daddy. He’ll show’em how it’s done. :mrgreen:
I agree some kids are afraid to compete. Many will even leave their own schools to avoid having to do so; always looking for the easy way.

Lebron James has been the king of this. When things get tough, he makes a quick move to another team to avoid having to compete. Never saw this behavior from Bird, Magic, Kobe, Jordan.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Maybe Northwest could join to OVC

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

Can't believe this is even being considered. How can Northwest justify even remotely contemplating forfeiting games? There is a lot more at stake than just "what is best for Northwest".
How would this effect playoff points? Do you get a win for forfeiting? What if you can't get a replacement team?

I believe Oak Hill and Valley both field smaller rosters than Northwest, what of them. If Northwest is allowed (fine or no fine) to skip out on games then we shouldn't count any leagues against Wheelersburg, Minford, Waverly or West. How is this right to Valley and Oak Hill?
Personally (if this article is true), Northwest just needs to leave the SOC in all sports, if for nothing else but the integrity of our league.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

jujubean wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:28 pm Can't believe this is even being considered. How can Northwest justify even remotely contemplating forfeiting games? There is a lot more at stake than just "what is best for Northwest".
How would this effect playoff points? Do you get a win for forfeiting? What if you can't get a replacement team?

I believe Oak Hill and Valley both field smaller rosters than Northwest, what of them. If Northwest is allowed (fine or no fine) to skip out on games then we shouldn't count any leagues against Wheelersburg, Minford, Waverly or West. How is this right to Valley and Oak Hill?
Personally (if this article is true), Northwest just needs to leave the SOC in all sports, if for nothing else but the integrity of our league.
I can’t imagine that the kids are happy about this. Actually, it’s probably humiliating for them.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Valley

Ironton
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

Would rather add Portsmouth. Way to much open recruiting going on at ironton to reward them with an invitation to the SOC

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Minford
Northwest
Oak Hill
Valley

Ironton
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

Would rather add Portsmouth. Way to much open recruiting going on at ironton to reward them with an invitation to the SOC
Agree. Portsmouth would make a lot of sense.

OldCoach
Waterboy

Post by OldCoach »

Portsmouth would make more sense in the SOC than Ironton.

Return to “Football”