2023 Interview with Oak Hill Head Coach Tyler Kratzenberg

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview with Oak Hill Head Coach Tyler Kratzenberg

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Tyler Kratzenberg

School: Oak Hill HS

Position: Head Coach

Can you give us a brief history of your coaching career? Where you have coached and the position you have held at each stop:
2015- Amanda Clearcreek HS, Varsity DB Coach
2016- Dixie Heights HS (KY), Varsity WR Coach & JV Head Coach
2017-2019- Rock Hill HS, Varsity DB Coach/Special Teams Coordinator & JV Head Coach
2020- Heath HS, Varsity QB Coach & Co-Offensive Coordinator
2021- Dixie Heights HS (KY), Varsity WR Coach & Co-Offensive Coordinator
2022- Oak Hill HS, Head Coach

What will you miss most about the class of 2023?
Everything! They were my first Senior class as a Head Coach so they will forever hold a special place in my heart and to this program.

What did you learn about yourself during the 2022 season that you can use to be a better coach this season?
The biggest thing I learned was not to second guess myself as much, trust myself and my skill set I have built for myself because my skill set is what landed me this job.

Looking back from day one as a coach up to the present, what have been the low and high points of your coaching career?
I've learned so much through my career and am always continuing to learn. My low points would be the ending of each season knowing it's the last time for the seniors. The highs would be winning games of course but to see former players succeeding after high school is the best.

Oak Hill went 1-9 last season. How important is it for you guys to stop the nine-game losing streak to kick off the 2023 season?
It's important to get that first win to start the 2023 season but mainly to keep building and improving one day at a time. We are still a young team so with a full off-season under our belt I'm confident we have already turned the program in the right direction towards where we want to eventually be.

What are the goals you have set for the 2023 team?
Our #1 goal this season is to get into the playoffs. That's the only goal that truly matters at the end of the day for us right now.

Who is the best player you have played against or coached against, and what team did he play for?
Very hard to pick just one but I would have to go with Michael Mayer (Covington Catholic). He was just recently drafted in the 2nd Round by the Las Vegas Raiders.

What are your feelings about 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
There are positives & negatives to it. I'm currently rebuilding a program so I like that we have a great opportunity to get in but also it's not like when I played where only the top 8 got in plus there were only 6 divisions so it was a lot more difficult.

Do you think online ticket sales have hurt or helped attendance?
No, I don't because there is nothing like the Friday Night Football in person experience. I think it comes down to if your school truly cares about athletics and the importance it has in your community. If you're winning more people will be interested but if you're not then you will see less support/interest.

What are your thoughts on playing out-of-state opponents?
I love it because it gives your team a whole different taste of talent, atmosphere, & experience. I'm hoping I can make that happen for our program very soon.

Looking back at the 2022 season, which road stadium had the best overall atmosphere?
Wheelersburg is a very high-level & chaotic environment to play in, which I'm sure most everyone in this area can agree on.

The kicking game at the high school level seems to be a very weak spot overall. What do you think has to be done to make this a strength for your team?
I am actually truly blessed with a phenomenal kicker/punter so that has been one less worry for my staff & me. However, I do believe special teams as a whole is a very weak//less paid attention to part of the game in most places.

Can you tell us which seniors from last season will be moving on to play college ball and list the colleges too?
We do not have any seniors moving on to the collegiate level but we did have Evan Fisher (Defensive Lineman) play in the North/South All-Star Game.

What is the best part of coaching high school football?
The relationships with players and coaches, hands down. The competitiveness is what makes football so much fun to coach as well.

As a coach can you tell the readers what all you do to help your players get recruited?
We do numerous things such as social media, highlight films, camps, etc. My staff and I want to give our kids the opportunity to play at the next level but at the end of the day, we want them to be great young men no matter what they decide to do in life.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Interview with Oak Hill Head Coach Tyler Kratzenberg

Post by VetteMan »

I really hope that the administration and the fans as well will be patient with Coach Kratzenberg as he embarks on the job as the Head Football Coach at Oak Hill. He as well as quite a few other Coaches around SEO, all seem to be facing one of the same problems, that being a big numbers problem. I'm pretty sure that at times last season he had around 19-20 players on any given Friday night. It's hard enough to win in the SOC-2 regardless, let alone with that few kids on your roster. I think that Coack Kratzenberg might have played his High School Football at Ironton High School under a guy named Bob Lutz. While I could be wrong about this, but I think that possibly Bob Lutz might have started his coaching career as an assistant coach at Oak Hill. Good interview.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

It is so tough to get any one from the SEOP area to do these.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:24 pm It is so tough to get any one from the SEOP area to do these.
I can't see why any Coach or Player would be hesitant to be willing to do this. If a Coach or Player can call attention or promote their School with something positive, I don't see the reluctance in wanting to do so. Maybe it just comes down to the fact that some people are not comfortable when it comes to being interviewed or being asked questions?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

great interview and Oak Hill had their man. hopefully they jump in SOC play they can make with strides wirh this guy and i couldn’t imagine a better to help lead the oaks in those leaps.

good luck to the southern countians

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”