LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview With Ben Reeves from Covington Catholic

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Ben Reeves

School: Covington Catholic

Class: 2024

Positions played: Defensive/Offensive Line

Are you approaching things any differently than you have in the past, given that this is your final high school season?
Coming into my senior year, I am approaching things differently in terms of having a larger leadership role for this year’s team. Our coaches constantly remind us the importance of leadership, and I must live up to those standards.

What personal goals do you have for yourself this season as well as team goals?
Some personal goals that I have for myself are to be named an all-state defensive lineman, 1st team All-NKY, 1st team All-Tristate, but most importantly bringing another state championship back to CCH with my brothers.

How important is spring ball as far as getting the team ready for the upcoming season?

Spring ball is very important in getting the team ready for the season because it gives coaches the chance to evaluate players and install drills/schemes so we can hit the ground running come summertime. Arguably the biggest benefit is being able to put the pads on and hit for three weeks which is the most important part of the game.

Have you heard from any college coaches and is so could you name some of the schools?
I have visited UK, EKU, Indiana State, and Thomas More. I have also heard from Hanover, Valpo, Georgetown, Taylor, and DePauw, and I hope to visit these schools soon.

Looking back at all of the road games you played, which stadium did you enjoy playing at the most? Explain.
During my time at CCH I have gotten to play in some outstanding environments, but my favorite road game would have to be this last season at Lexington Catholic. This game was especially enjoyable for me for multiple reasons. One of which being we had a great cheering section with parents, colonel crazies, and colonel alumni who go to college at UK who made the short trip to watch us play. Another reason was seeing all of my family and my grandparents make the trip down. The final reason was that it was an awesome environment to play in, with music and energetic crowds and sidelines on 3rd downs. It felt like a college game. On top of this we got the win which is most important.

Which road game are you looking forward to the most this season? Why?
The road game that I am looking forward to the most this season has to be Highlands. There is so much history between both teams, and it is a battle every time we meet up. We have grown up competing against each other in multiple sports, and it always feels great to beat them.

What is the best and worst part of a Covington Catholic practice?
The best part of a CCH practice is no doubt goal line period on Wednesday. It is 1st team D against best available offense, and it is four plays of full go. This period is always full of energy and excitement.

What will you miss most about the 2023 seniors?
There is a lot I will miss about the 2023 seniors, especially since a lot of them were linemen like myself. These guys showed me the ropes of the program and made my better on and off the field, and I am extremely grateful for the memories made with them and for their leadership.

What was it like to not only play in the Pike County Bowl but to come out with a big win over a very stout Pikeville team?
Making the trip down to Pikeville for the Pike County Bowl was an awesome experience. A long road trip is great experience for teams and it benefited us well. Pikeville is an outstanding football community with a beautiful stadium and awesome environment to play in. We came away with the win, and this was a big win that gave us a lot of confidence and gave us momentum going into the rest of the season.

What makes playing for Covington Catholic so special?
There are so many things that make playing for Covington Catholic so special, but at the end of the day what makes it so special is the brotherhood that we share with our teammates and the support from the community. Friday nights in Park Hills are truly special and seeing all of the people that come to watch us, especially the kids in our youth football program which I once played in, reminds you how important CCH football is to the community.

What will you most remember from the 2022 season?
Something that I will remember most from the 2022 season is our victory at home against Beechwood. We had been looking forward to that game since the year before, and everyone was counting us out. We came out on fire on both sides of the ball and made a statement.

What is your most memorable football memory as a player?
My most memorable football memory as a player would have to be my first varsity start at home against Elder for the season opener. I had dreamed of being on that field playing in big games since I was young, and I grew up watching CCH teams and wanted to be just like them. Even though we did not come out with the win, it was fun competing against a very talented football team and playing in front of thousands of people, and I was able to learn a lot from that game which I would be able to use throughout the season. It was also very cool to be able to watch this game on TV the next day, and seeing highlights on the news.

What is your favorite song, and who sings it?
As of now, my favorite song would have to be Last Night by Morgan Wallen.

What is the one food that you like that most others do not?

I would say the hot salsa from Chipotle. I do not know very many people who order it besides me.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Player Spotlight/Interview With Ben Reeves from Covington Catholic

Post by VetteMan »

Just from reading some of Ben's answers, I would venture to say that he plays the game of football with a lot of intensity. If Covington Catholic is playing teams such as Cincinnati Elder, that shows me that they are not scheduling cupcakes during the regular season. There seems to be mutual interest from quite a few programs in as much as playing at the next level. Another good interview.

Return to “Football”