LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Interview With Sheridan Generals Head Coach Paul Culver III

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Paul Culver III

School: Thornville Sheridan

Position:
Head Football Coach

After taking over for your father, a legend in the area, did you feel any extra pressure to continue the success he had built at Sheridan?
I felt what I would call a “weight” on me. Not overwhelming by any means, but something like a gravitational pull from the importance and magnitude of the program that I was taking over, and especially the man I was following. I knew that I could never try to live up to his standard. I could only do the best that I could and honor his Legacy.

The Generals went 11-2 during the 2022 season, including playoffs. What were the expectations heading into the season, and did the team live up to them?
We had 20 seniors and several returning starters from the year before, but we had also lost some very good players. Yet, there is no change between our goals and expectations from season to season. We expect to compete for a League Championship, earn a spot in the postseason, and advance toward the Regional Finals. This team came very close to achieving those goals and should be very proud.

Who was the best team that the Generals squared off against last season and what made that team so good?
We faced several good teams this season, but Bloom Carroll stands out. They were significantly larger than us and played disciplined, hard-nosed football.

Who was the best player Sheridan squared off against last season, and which team did he play for?

There were many terrific players that we faced this year, but the player that gave us the most trouble in any game was probably the Quarterback from Watkins Memorial, Patrick Carney he was a very good football player and made several plays against us that night with both his arm and feet.

After all, two-a-day practices were over leading up to the first game. Which player or players stuck out the most? Explain.
Each year you look for a player to flash, and show that the work they put in during the off-season has paid off and translated to the field. A few examples would be Jacob Ramey and Bryden Gladstone. Both started every game on our offensive line this year, despite not starting a down the year before. Our Offensive Line was very good this season, and both of these young men were major contributors.

What was the toughest part of the 2022 season?
Losing in the Regional Semi-Finals, and saying goodbye to that terrific group of 20 seniors. We felt good about our preparation that week. And our defense played well enough to win. But I did not do a good enough job with the offensive game planning to give our players the best chance to be successful. We could compete with any team in Division 3 when we played well, and walking off that field knowing we had missed a terrific opportunity was very hard.

What was the best part of the 2022 season?
Spending time with our Team. If you play or coach for just the thrill of Friday nights then you are missing the point. We are together 9 months out of the year, not just 10 or 12 Friday nights. We are together in the Weight Room and on the Practice Field far, far more often, and I truly cherish those times.

What will you miss most about the seniors from the 2023 season?
They had terrific leadership and commitment. They showed the underclassmen how to be successful both on the field and off. They are terrific players, but more importantly, excellent students and special young men.

Do you think online ticket sales have hurt or helped attendance?

Honestly, I don’t really pay attention. We had some pretty good crowds this year, but I am not sure which ones were online purchases or not. Sheridan does not use that option.

What are your feelings about 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I voted against it, but I understand the idea. There is something incredibly special about a Playoff Game and I wish every young person could experience it. Yet part of what makes it special is that it is rare. It is earned. It is not given. Trying to balance those 2 ideas is not easy, but the current model seems to be working okay.

What is the best part of coaching high school football?

My Dad, Paul Culver Jr., coached football for over 40 years. He won a mind boggling 324 games during his Hall of Fame career. Yet he would tell you none of that matters if you do not have a meaningful lasting relationship with your players. I feel like coaching and mentoring young people is an incredible gift. I delight In going to work every day. I am honored to be the Head Coach of my Father’s program. I am proud to be a Member of the Red Rage. Go, Generals!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Interview With Sheridan Generals Head Coach Paul Culver III

Post by VetteMan »

WOW, I'm sure that is quite an honor for Coach Culver III to be able to take the reins from his father and succeed him as the Head Coach at Thornville Sheridan High School. Sheridan is a program that I have always had a lot of respect for. Sheridan is and has been a very proud program for quite a few years, I honestly don't think it will be any different in the upcoming seasons. 20 Seniors is quite a few for a Division-3 school, but I doubt that numbers has been or will be a problem for the Generals. Good Interview.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Re: 2023 Interview With Sheridan Generals Head Coach Paul Culver III

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I enjoyed this as a Sheridan alum. "Little Paul" was my coach as a 9th grader, he was also my physics teacher and the best teacher that I had in high school. His dad was my varsity football coach and the most intense person and great leader I've ever been around. Football at Sheridan is special, the impact Paul Jr had on so many of us is incredible. The calling hours when he passed were held in the gym and the shear number of people especially former players who attended was amazing. Paul III is having the same impact on the program and his players that his dad had. That community is so lucky to have him!

Return to “Football”