Morgan joining the Twin State League? Other expansion?

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Re: Morgan joining the Twin State League? Other expansion?

Post by Jim Ryan »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:13 am Well boys I have some top secret information that I can’t sit in any longer. Federal Hocking will be petitioning to join the TSL in everything except football. We are tired of the home refs in the TVC. Daniel has done a bad job getting that fixed. Once accepted we are done with the Turkey Vulture Conference. That league is dying. The buzzards are circling.
Interesting that I actually heard this several days ago but figured it was just talk. I guess we’ll see.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:09 pm Nobody can tell me a league with

Small
Fort Frye
Nelsonville
Trimble
Waterford
Alexander
Belpre

Big
Warren
Point
Marietta
Cambridge
Morgan
Athens

Isn’t an upgrade from what we have now.

Bigger gates better rivalries
Would be an awesome league.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

muskiefan11 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:30 pm
1gcfan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:24 pm
MVLfan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:44 pm Why would the small schools care about Zanesville joining? Much better trip than any of the others that were added, but would be a big school, so only one game a season against them. No offense to the blue devils, but they are far from a giant in any sport currently.
I agree, but old grudges ruled. I thought Bishop Rosecrans would be a fit for the small school division. I think they were voted down several years ago.
Don’t think Rosecrans will ever be a good fit for the MVL as long as they continue to mandate crossover games. Rosecrans has no chance to compete with TV, JG, and Sheridan in the big school outside of soccer, and boys basketball depending on the year.
Aside from preserving long time rivalries, what benefit does mandating crossovers have? Football it guarantees 2 games and every other sport it’s 6. I’m sure Crooksville and Tri Valley could both find games more beneficial to their situations than playing each other.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

MVLfan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:44 pm Why would the small schools care about Zanesville joining? Much better trip than any of the others that were added, but would be a big school, so only one game a season against them. No offense to the blue devils, but they are far from a giant in any sport currently.
When the MVL looked to expand the push was from the small schools and they wanted more small schools added. Obviously Zanesville did not fit that profile. Zanesville still has larger classes in K-6 than any of the MVL schools, but they have dropped numbers in 9-12 and sometimes is barely smaller than Tri-Valley.

When Zanesville was an independent between being a member of the SEOAL and the ECOL, the MVL allowed Zanesville Middle School to play an MVL schedule. There were multiple problems with player, coach, and fan behavior. It certainly did not help Zanesville's cause.

Coshocton and Meadowbrook were definite small schools year in and year out. River View is trending toward being a small school in 4 years or so. Cambridge numbers put them on the borderline leaning toward being a small school if a school ever left and Cambridge filled that gap. Which I think is a given at some point.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

That makes a lot of sense why Zanesville would not be welcomed. The MVL has a bunch of good, respectful schools. It’s rare you see any of the schools have player issues in any sport. Fans may be another thing, but that’s a problem across the country.
The majority of the league schools are in the D4-5 range in football with TV, Sheridan, and JG being outliers in 3 and Crooksville in 6. Instead of thickening the middle, wouldn’t some larger schools like Zanesville/Logan help to make the big school division more big schools? Or is it true that TV/Sheridan could look to the LCL?

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

MVLfan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:17 pm
1gcfan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:24 pm

I agree, but old grudges ruled. I thought Bishop Rosecrans would be a fit for the small school division. I think they were voted down several years ago.
Don’t think Rosecrans will ever be a good fit for the MVL as long as they continue to mandate crossover games. Rosecrans has no chance to compete with TV, JG, and Sheridan in the big school outside of soccer, and boys basketball depending on the year.
Aside from preserving long time rivalries, what benefit does mandating crossovers have? Football it guarantees 2 games and every other sport it’s 6. I’m sure Crooksville and Tri Valley could both find games more beneficial to their situations than playing each other.
Football is the only sport where crossover is based off of school size. So Crooksville (Being the smallest school) plays Morgan & Philo now as the 2 smallest schools in the big school division.
The problem for Crooksville is the crossover games in sports like BBK, GBK, Baseball, Softball and Volleyball. They'll play 2 games vs Small School and 1 game vs Big School.

I've heard one of the issues NL has is that in football it doesn't want its crossovers to be TV & Sheridan (Biggest Big Schools) when they align better with Morgan and Philo who are very similar in enrollment.

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

A little trivia. The MVL started in 1938 but took 1943 off due to gas rationing. Some teams played a few games. The New Lex - Philo series was interrupted that year then resumed in 1944 before being interrupted again in 2020. They will resume in 2024.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

Play60Football wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:58 pm
MVLfan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Football is the only sport where crossover is based off of school size. So Crooksville (Being the smallest school) plays Morgan & Philo now as the 2 smallest schools in the big school division.
The problem for Crooksville is the crossover games in sports like BBK, GBK, Baseball, Softball and Volleyball. They'll play 2 games vs Small School and 1 game vs Big School.

I've heard one of the issues NL has is that in football it doesn't want its crossovers to be TV & Sheridan (Biggest Big Schools) when they align better with Morgan and Philo who are very similar in enrollment.
That’s why it feels like the league has outgrown Crooksville. I’m sure that their admin/community would never let them leave for TVC or MSL due to being a charter member.
I don’t imagine anyone in any league would like 2/10 games being Tri Valley and Sheridan. Those two schools have been dominant! It’s great that our league has 2 teams that annually are strong contenders. Does the LCL rotate their crossover games or are they like the MVL that crosses based on size?

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I did some checking and the LCL has 1 mandatory crossover game and it is based on size.
Weeks 1-4 are non-league (or on your own with a league opponent)
Week 5 is mandatory crossover.
Weeks 6-10 are division games.

Week 5 - school size rank in ( )
Licking Heights (1) v Lakewood (7)
Watkins Memorial (2) v Johnstown (8)
Mount Vernon (3) v Heath (9)
Granville (4) v Utica (10)
Zanesville (5) v Northridge (11)
Licking Valley (6) v Newark Catholic (12)

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

https://www.twinstateleague.com/_files/ ... 35f64c.pdf
Says 6 schools "expressed interest in joining the league" Thought maybe they'd list the schools.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

Play60Football wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:54 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:27 pm What are the odds any of these schools actually make the move? It seems like since the TSL was formed, there is constantly talk about schools being "interested" but nothing ever comes from it. Morgan. PHS. Cambridge. Now Crooksville and 70% of the TVC? I am obviously for expansion but I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

If all of these TVC schools really want in the TSL, why not just add the four TSL schools and Crooksville and go to 3 divisions? Try to add Gallia and Logan, so Vinton County can be in the middle school division with better travel.
Yea you're right there always seems to be rumors. No one has actually pulled the trigger. I'm sure the TSLs approach is to get anyone who they've spoken to or who has shown the slightest interested all together and say "see them, and them, and them? Come on!". One school is likely not to go by themselves.

It reminds me of the PAC 12 dilemma recently.... A lot of speculation and meetings and what not for the better part of a year or more, then finally Colorado jumped ship and next thing you knew the PAC 12 was dead!
From what I just heard some dominoes may be starting to fall. It’s probably only a third, fourth, or fifth hand source not from the horses mouth, but don’t be shocked if in the coming days or weeks, we see some movement.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Yea from what I’m hearing they are confident the league will be getting bigger soon.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

Are we hearing any names? Morgan? Alexander (who joined for soccer i believe)? TVC Hocking division?

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Play60Football wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:05 am Are we hearing any names? Morgan? Alexander (who joined for soccer i believe)? TVC Hocking division?
Morgan already withdrew from consideration

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Play60Football wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:05 am Are we hearing any names? Morgan? Alexander (who joined for soccer i believe)? TVC Hocking division?
I believe Athens, Meigs, and Alexander from the TVC Ohio have been in contact. Not sure about the hocking schools but I would be surprised if Waterford and Belpre haven’t been in discussions just because of their proximity to the conference if they decide to split into a big/small League.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:30 pm
I believe Athens, Meigs, and Alexander from the TVC Ohio have been in contact. Not sure about the hocking schools but I would be surprised if Waterford and Belpre haven’t been in discussions just because of their proximity to the conference if they decide to split into a big/small League.
Waterford and Belpre are interested if the league gets enough schools to split into 2. Also MOVL small div is struggling maybe Frontier could come over. Get all Washington county schools in the same league.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:30 pm
These 3 possibly coming is why I was so confused in the Oak Hill stuff. Nelsonville has to be involved in this to.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Athens needs to play some bigger teams in league. TVC does not do anything for them come playoff time.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

What would Vinton do if they lost the tvc.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:02 pm What would Vinton do if they lost the tvc.
I have no clue. If Athens, NY, Alex, and Meigs all left, the TVC would have to combine into one conference. Not sure that would work for VC.

VC
RV
Trimble
Wellston
Fed Hock
Eastern
Southern

These would be the remaining schools. If you take out VC, that would work imo. Worst case scenario, the TVC implodes, I could see VC trying to start a conference with Wellston, RV, Oak Hill, and Trimble OR petition the SVC. Not sure either of those would be great options though. Vc could become independent. Who knows.

Return to “Football”