Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name:
J.D. Matiz

School:
Minford

Class:

Positions played:
OLB-Slot

Which side of the ball did you enjoy playing on the most during the 2022 season?
I enjoyed playing defense the most during the 2022 season.

Which one of those positions you played during the 2022 season was the hardest to prepare for?
Outside linebacker was the hardest position to prepare for due to the fact that we faced a different offensive scheme every week.

Which game will you remember the most from the 2022 season?
The Valley game will be the game I remember most from the 2022 season because we were down most of the game and came back and won in double overtime.

Out of all the road games, which stadium was your favorite to play in?
Ed Miller Stadium was by far the best stadium to play a game in.

Who was the best player you faced during the season, and what team did he play for?

Ryan Sissel from Portsmouth West was the best player I played against in the 2022 season.

What were your personal goals heading into the 2022 season, and did you achieve those goals?

I had one goal in mind, and that was to start on both sides of the ball. Yes, I achieved my goal by starting both sides of the ball.

What will you miss from the 2023 class?
I will miss how they treated the rest of the team and how they made us focus each week.

What lesson or lessons did you learn about yourself during the season that you can use this year to be a better player?
The lesson I learned this year was to push through adversity and stay focused on playing my position.

Who is the hardest team to prepare for? Why?
Wheelersburg, offensively, is one of the hardest teams to prepare for because they have so many formations and motions.

What is your fondest sports memory?

The game winning interception against Valley to secure the win in double overtime.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with J.D. Matiz from Minford

Post by VetteMan »

I would probably have to agree with J.D. that Ryan Sissel from Portsmouth West was probably one of the best all around players, if not the best player in the SOC-2 Conference. Sissel was a tremendous running back, as well as an outstanding linebacker. Good interview.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:19 am I would probably have to agree with J.D. that Ryan Sissel from Portsmouth West was probably one of the best all around players, if not the best player in the SOC-2 Conference. Sissel was a tremendous running back, as well as an outstanding linebacker. Good interview.
Matiz played against Ironton as well so he saw most of the better players. Probably the only other player on that level locally was Winters from Jackson. But Sissel probably was the best player around and will compete at Marshall.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:19 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:19 am I would probably have to agree with J.D. that Ryan Sissel from Portsmouth West was probably one of the best all around players, if not the best player in the SOC-2 Conference. Sissel was a tremendous running back, as well as an outstanding linebacker. Good interview.
Matiz played against Ironton as well so he saw most of the better players. Probably the only other player on that level locally was Winters from Jackson. But Sissel probably was the best player around and will compete at Marshall.
Agree with you completely as far as some of the players from Ironton. Jacob Winters from Jackson was not only a very good QB, but was also a very good defensive player for the Ironmen. As you stated, Sissel does not have to take a backseat to any of the players that have been discussed.

Return to “Football”