Hopefully Coach Pendleton isn’t going anywhere.

Prime Time
All State

Re: Hopefully Coach Pendleton isn’t going anywhere.

Post by Prime Time »

Well, has he split the atom!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:20 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:15 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:12 pm

Yeah ok
Why do you think he would? Most people in Cincinnati don’t know anything about Ironton, let alone their football coach.

The only town in SEO that people here are familiar with is Portsmouth. And why is that? Because when the local news shows the weather report across the state, Portsmouth is the town listed in that area.
Ironton isn’t Pendleton’s only life , the guy played what 4-5 years at a successful big 10 football school, probably played with how many professional players and I’ll bet his contacts have d1 football people all around Ohio if not the country. You’re telling me his network of football contacts is just in Ironton Ohio ?

Do you really believe that ?
He played at MSU? That’s what you think gives him an edge at Moeller?

D1 athletes around here are a dime a dozen. Same with professional athletes. Heck, Paul O’Neill and Chris Sabo were members of the church I attended. Current and ex college/professional athletes are not hard to run into in Cincinnati. And ALL of them have connections as good or better than Pendleton’s. Plus, they know the area. Know the schools.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:23 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:13 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:57 am

How does one get experience at a program like Moeller unless given a chance? Just curious.
How does one get the experience?

The prior coach worked his way up the coaching food chain in college and had 20 years of experience before taking over Moeller.

It comes down to working up the ranks at different levels while being exposed to a program the size of Moeller or even bigger.

These large GCL schools are almost like college programs with regards to recruiting, dealing with alumni, travel, etc. These are not your typical high school coaching jobs. Even Wheelersburg and Ironton, both excellent programs, are not in the same stratosphere.
I agree with wheelersburg . You saying that Pendleton who lived the life of a big 10 football player for 4 years , played in every big game a midwestern boy can play in, would be star struck at Moeller High school ?
Not star struck. The enormity of the job would be a major challenge since he has never coached at this level; coaching and playing are completely different.

His initial issues would be:
- He’s not from the area.
- Did not grow up in the GCL or play for any Cincy schools.
- Not familiar with the catholic feeder school relationships.
- Has never had to compete in recruiting. There are lots of schools that recruit in these parts.
- He’s an unknown.

Not saying he would fail, but it is a far more challenging job than Ironton.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

He knows the schools, coalGrove, South Point, Rock Hill, Pedro, Kitts Hill Franklin Furnce and even the west Side.That’s the Westside of Portsmouth not Cincinnati!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

He’s got relationships with ex Head Coach’s, assistant Coach’s from Lawrence County, SciotoCounty Ashland Ky, Russell Ky, Raceland key and Portsmouth’s West side.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

mustard wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:30 pm :lol:

in all of my short years of reading and being on chat boards ive never seen a bunch of coach suck ups fans than i have from ironton.

you'd think this guy won the souper bowl. :lol:

hes worthy of moeller but hes happy at irotnon..
the kids love him..
he has a bazillion contacts...
he played college ball...

did he split the atom? :lol:
He split the atom while walking on water…

All I’ve stated is what I have been told by those in the know with regards to Pendleton and the Moeller job. And by doing that, I am being labeled a “jealous haters”. LOL!!

Some of these Ironton fans definitely reflect the times in which we live: Don’t like what you hear (or are reading)? Call them a “hater”. Truth be damned!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

All Div.5-6 schools. He’s been taken to the woodshed by Kirkland more than once, but his reserves is playing Massillon this year, does that count!

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

His resume would be very impressive on any desk .

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:13 pm

How does one get the experience?

The prior coach worked his way up the coaching food chain in college and had 20 years of experience before taking over Moeller.

It comes down to working up the ranks at different levels while being exposed to a program the size of Moeller or even bigger.

These large GCL schools are almost like college programs with regards to recruiting, dealing with alumni, travel, etc. These are not your typical high school coaching jobs. Even Wheelersburg and Ironton, both excellent programs, are not in the same stratosphere.
I agree with wheelersburg . You saying that Pendleton who lived the life of a big 10 football player for 4 years , played in every big game a midwestern boy can play in, would be star struck at Moeller High school ?
Not star struck. The enormity of the job would be a major challenge since he has never coached at this level; coaching and playing are completely different.

- Has never had to compete in recruiting. There are lots of schools that recruit in these parts.
- He’s an unknown.

Well he’s coached what , 6 years and made 3 state championship games. Is he even 30 ? Something tells me when he’s 50 he could be coaching at alot of places.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:16 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 pm

- He’s an unknown.

Well he’s coached what , 6 years and made 3 state championship games. Is he even 30 ? Something tells me when he’s 50 he could be coaching at alot of places.
He’s done very well at Ironton. No doubt he’s changed their program around. He could end up being a great high school coach one day.

That said, Ironton is not Moeller. Nothing on his resume says he’s ready for such a big job, and Moeller isn’t going to hire him based on potential. It’s not a place to learn; you better be well seasoned going into that role, or you won’t succeed.

The last coach had 20 years experience. Was head coach of a D1 university. Spent years recruiting talent. Was born and raised in Cincinnati.

The last four coaches were all from the Cincinnati area. Two were Moeller grads, one from LaSalle, and one from Sycamore. All had extensive experience before taking the Moeller HC position; the most successful of them had a state title at another school before Moeller.

Not sure you appreciate the difficulty and complexity of the Moeller job, especially given the “low” pay for the amount of work.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

nothing I’ve seen says he can coach yet…. but he can recruit and promote the fire out of kids and that’s what a program like moeller does.

U win with talent…That’s what he does …gets talent.

I can coach what he brings in… easy… especially d5 football

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Is he leaving because of what happened with the Coal Grove coach? You people apparently know every possible detail about him so some of you should be able to answer this question.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

The hate for Ironton’s coach is unbelievable.Please get a life.Very sad.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

artisgilmore wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:54 pm The hate for Ironton’s coach is unbelievable.Please get a life.Very sad.
To my point about people here being true to the times: anything they don’t want to hear or read they criticize as “hate”. Yet if you read my posts, I give Pendleton credit for what he’s done at a Ironton. Even said he might turn out to be a great coach. Just not yet ready for a job like Moeller in my opinion.

That is not hate. Good grief!

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 pm
artisgilmore wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:54 pm The hate for Ironton’s coach is unbelievable.Please get a life.Very sad.
To my point about people here being true to the times: anything they don’t want to hear or read they criticize as “hate”. Yet if you read my posts, I give Pendleton credit for what he’s done at a Ironton. Even said he might turn out to be a great coach. Just not yet ready for a job like Moeller in my opinion.

:lol: bro hes probably one of the coach's suck ups. im sure the coach is super positive and doesnt criticize any of his players :shock:

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

mustard wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:01 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 pm

:lol: bro hes probably one of the coach's suck ups. im sure the coach is super positive and doesnt criticize any of his players :shock:
They worship him as if he’s a god. No way should Pendleton ever leave Ironton. He has his own “Jonestown”.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

My question is would Ironton be revalent with only Ironton kids and maybe 1 recruit. My thoughts is no they wouldnt. They would be middle of OVC and that would be a fair assumption. You give any team in OVC -4-8 recruits a year and see where Ironton would be.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:45 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:36 am
RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:44 am

I’ll try to find out why he wasn’t a finalist.

As for my thoughts on why he made not have made the cut:
- More to do with the other applicants. Could be some serious competition for this position.
- Pendleton has had a lot of success but at a small school. Ironton has mostly played far inferior schools during Pendleton’s tenure. Moeller doesn’t play many cupcakes. So the school might want someone with experience playing a tougher schedule game after game…
- Location: connections to the Cincy catholic feeder schools is extremely important. Pendleton obviously has none of those connections.
- Name recognition in general to attract kids from all schools. The ex coach was previously the head coach of Eastern Kentucky. That’s far more impressive than saying “I was head count of Ironton” which most kids and families in the Cincy area have never heard of.
- Finally, is Pendleton catholic? That by itself could be a problem with getting the job. These GCL schools and fans take that very seriously.

Again, just my two cents but will try to find out the truth.

One would think Coach Pendleton would have a top
notch resume.
Here’s the prior coaches background. Tell me how well Pendleton stacks up against this.

https://www.fox19.com/2019/12/19/moelle ... utType=amp
I’ll also add that the new name that is percolating as the impending Moeller hire has the following body of work:

• current head coach of a Catholic school in KY
• former DC at Tiffin University
• former DC at Denison
• former Strength and Conditioning coach at Denison (as well as Lindsey Wilson)
• GA at Western Kentucky

So, it’s more in line with the idea of deep resume than the coach who has only been the head man at one school (a small public) is.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

OVC is a very weak conference from top to bottom. Div 5 mostly maybe a Div 6 or a Div 4. South Point, Coal Grove, Fairland Chesapeake, Rock Hill then throw in Portsmouth and Gallia Academy. Ashland Ky was dropped off after beating the Tigers.Raceland and Russell Ky gives them all they can handle,Other than Portsmouth in Southern Ohio , no really big threats. Kirkland , Massillon Jvs , and he got Moeller to come to Ironton. Moeller won, Kirkland owns Ironton and Massillon JVs will show up

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Prime Time wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:28 am OVC is a very weak conference from top to bottom. Div 5 mostly maybe a Div 6 or a Div 4. South Point, Coal Grove, Fairland Chesapeake, Rock Hill then throw in Portsmouth and Gallia Academy. Ashland Ky was dropped off after beating the Tigers.Raceland and Russell Ky gives them all they can handle,Other than Portsmouth in Southern Ohio , no really big threats. Kirkland , Massillon Jvs , and he got Moeller to come to Ironton. Moeller won, Kirkland owns Ironton and Massillon JVs will show up
So Ironton is playing the Massillon JV team? That won’t count for playoff points. Why play a JV team?

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.

Return to “Football”