2023 Post-Season interview with Ryan Sissel Portsmouth West (Future Marshall player)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season interview with Ryan Sissel Portsmouth West (Future Marshall player)

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name
Ryan Sissel

School
Portsmouth West

Positions Played
running back and linebacker

What goals had you set for yourself before the 2022 season started? Did you achieve these goals?

Work extremely hard. Be a team leader and an example to the younger players. Yes

Build off a successful junior season. Use your summer camp experiences to improve your game...Yes

Earn accolades from coaches and peers. All-state first team... Yes

Earn an opportunity to play Division 1 football. Yes.

After your team had completed two days, what was the biggest goal you had set for the team? Did the team accomplish the goal?

win a conference championship (SOC II) by defeating our rivals... Yes

Win a state championship... No – But we did have a nice run. We lost to the eventual state runners-up.

What are you going to remember most about the teammates you are graduating with?
The bonds we share are the result of our collective sacrifice and hard work. They are my brothers. We set goals in PeeWee to win the SOC II, and we achieved that.

What were the high and low points of the season?
The highlight has to be beating Wheelersburg to win the SOC II. That was an amazing experience that we will never forget.

The low point has to be walking off the field for the last time after the playoff loss.

As far as road games went last season, which stadium did you enjoy playing at the most? Why?
Week 2 of the senior season has to be in Portsmouth. We have played a lot of games there over the years. The crowd is right on top of you. The crowd was great. The weather was great. We really played well.

Who was the best team that West faced in 2022? Explain what made them the best.
Ironton in the playoffs They ended up as state runners-up. They had a lot of talent, and several guys were going to play at the next level.

What will you miss the most about high school football?

Friday Night Lights with My Brothers The bond we have The offseason work at The Weights The Practices. I love high school football.

Can you tell the readers what walking off the field for the last time felt like?

It’s a devastating feeling knowing that you will never play high school football again with your friends. My dad always told me to look around and soak in every game, and I tried to do that. And even though I’m going to have the opportunity to further my football career, I don’t think anything can replace playing for your hometown team, which you grew up dreaming of playing for.

What lesson did you learn about yourself that you will be able to use playing at the college level in 2023?
I went to a lot of high-level camps in the summer. I competed against some of the best players in the country, and I thought I held my own. College Football Power coaches expressed interest in me. That gives me confidence that if I keep the right attitude and work hard, I can play football at a high level.

Can you tell the readers which colleges recruited you and then tell everyone where you're going to play?

Ohio State had me up for a gameday visit. Pitt and Kent State had me up for spring practice and camp. Kentucky, VMI, Duquesne, Eastern Kentucky, Ohio University, Bowling Green, Akron, and Toledo had me up for gamedays, camps, and visits. Several D2 and NAIA

But in the end, Marshall gave me the opportunity to play at the next level. I am so grateful for this opportunity, and I will do everything in my power to seize it.

The whole recruiting process, especially with the current landscape of college football, has been an experience. I would tell the younger players to work hard, leave no stone unturned, stay focused on their dreams, and never take no for an answer.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with Ryan Sissel Portsmouth West (Future Marshall player)

Post by VetteMan »

I can speak from experience in the fact that I was able to watch Ryan play these past couple seasons. Not only was Ryan a very good running back, but he was also a tremendous linebacker for the Senators. He was not only a very physical running back for Portsmouth West, he just had a nose for the football playing linebacker, and was a key player in helping the Senators win the SOC-2 Championship. I'm pretty sure that the Thundering Herd are recruiting him to play linebacker.

Appreciation
Waterboy

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with Ryan Sissel Portsmouth West (Future Marshall player)

Post by Appreciation »

Awesome. Well spoken young man. Congrats to Ryan!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Good interview

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Congratulations on the PWO. Now go earn that scholarship!

Return to “Football”