Mark Elder steps down as Moeller High School head football coach after 3 seasons

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Mark Elder steps down as Moeller High School head football coach after 3 seasons

Post by Bfan99 »

I would think Coach Pendelton at Ironton would be a great choice for the next coach.

XandOs
Varsity

Re: Mark Elder steps down as Moeller High School head football coach after 3 seasons

Post by XandOs »

I read on the Yappi message board yesterday that he is the favorite for the job. Would be a devastating blow to our athletic department and community if Coach Pendleton left.

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Re: Mark Elder steps down as Moeller High School head football coach after 3 seasons

Post by Frequent Flyer »

Yes but he is the obvious choice

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by OldskoolWarrior »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:34 pm Yes but he is the obvious choice
Who would replace Pendleton? I know Peyton at Warren would be a good candidate even though he just started there.

JBsezBELIEVE
Waterboy

Post by JBsezBELIEVE »

The man that coached Belpre last year would be interested if they reached out. It would be hard to imagine he wouldn’t be a front runner.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:37 am I read on the Yappi message board yesterday that he is the favorite for the job. Would be a devastating blow to our athletic department and community if Coach Pendleton left.
He has a great situation at Ironton, and Moeller is a tough place to coach. Plus cost of living difference…

Definitely a dare to be great situation that could lead to bigger opportunities, but giving up the Ironton gig given his success and support from the fan base would be tough.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Only one person mentioned Pendleton being the favorite. Not sure he really is or even interested. I’d calm down with the Pendleton leaving talk.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I did see where Mark Elder is helping with the next HC search for Moeller and he’s close to Pendelton. What would be the pay for a HC at Moeller?

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

This is not the job for Pendleton,he's not proven he could coach at this level or even at the level he is at without a unlevel playing field ,Hate if you want but it's the Truth !

No way a program like this is throwing 6 figures at a guy like this !

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Pinwheel wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:04 pm This is not the job for Pendleton,he's not proven he could coach at this level or even at the level he is at without a unlevel playing field ,Hate if you want but it's the Truth !

PinBall,

The guy has coached in the same amount of State Championships in last 5 years as schools from Lawrence, Scioto,pike, Jackson and Gallia Counties have combined. I think he’s proven that he can build a winner. Ironton was losing OVC games and would be similar to Portsmouth right now if it weren’t for him. His resume right now 5 years in is better than coaching icon Bob Lutz. Lutz was just ranked one of the greatest High School coaches in history. The hatred you have spilled on this site for Ironton and Coach Pendelton almost looks personal. Not a good look for you Pinhole.

Lay the Wood
Waterboy

Post by Lay the Wood »

I respectfully must disagree, not sure how he has not proven he cant coach at d5 level. He’s won a lot of games and 3 finals appearances is pretty convincing. I suppose he hasn’t previously coached at d1, so there’s an argument he couldn’t compete at that level. But I think he would do pretty well with the players he would have. Lastly, not sure what this “unlevel” field means. But if you are referring to kids wanting to play for his program. That’s an important part of the job at Moeller. According to you he’s a great recruiter. That’s exactly what they would be looking for I would think.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 pm
Pinwheel wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:04 pm This is not the job for Pendleton,he's not proven he could coach at this level or even at the level he is at without a unlevel playing field ,Hate if you want but it's the Truth !

PinBall,

The guy has coached in the same amount of State Championships in last 5 years as schools from Lawrence, Scioto,pike, Jackson and Gallia Counties have combined. I think he’s proven that he can build a winner. Ironton was losing OVC games and would be similar to Portsmouth right now if it weren’t for him. His resume right now 5 years in is better than coaching icon Bob Lutz. Lutz was just ranked one of the greatest High School coaches in history. The hatred you have spilled on this site for Ironton and Coach Pendelton almost looks personal. Not a good look for you Pinhole.
True, he has done a fantastic job at Ironton. That said, Moeller is a totally different animal.

First, recruiting is much more competitive competing against the other GCL and private schools for talent.

Second, the job doesn’t just require convincing kids to play for Moeller. Also have to convince the parents to shell out $15k per year for their kid to play at Moeller.

Third, the pay isn’t going to be that great given the cost of living. I believe the Moeller coach makes $24k over his other school job pay. So let’s assume he makes $60k teaching gym, his total pay would be $84k. Not bad money, but given the location, that is below average.

Fourth, the schedule is a beast. All the teams they play are very reputable programs who have the capability of beating Moeller any given year.

Now on the plus side…
- This is Moeller, one of the top programs in the country. Incredible history.
- If Pendleton wants to continue to move up, this is a great opportunity.
- The surrounding communities near Moeller are far nicer than Ironton (no offense to Ironton) or any other area in southeastern Ohio. Loveland, Mason, and Montgomery have median family incomes over $100k. Indian Hill is around $180k.
- The access to resources is unbelievable. Top notch trainers, money from alums, etc.
- The talent he will be able to recruit and coach is far beyond anything he can get now.
- Of the big GCL schools (Moeller, X, Elder, LaSalle), Moeller is the only one on the east side. Has a strong hold over Warren county and east side of Cincy.

A great opportunity but a tough decision given what he has at Ironton. Just comes down to where does he want to take his career.

JBsezBELIEVE
Waterboy

Post by JBsezBELIEVE »

Ya’ll acting like Penthouse be bagging this job already. I be telling ya it’s a two horse race right off the rip. May the best coach be winning.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Bfan99 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:04 am I would think Coach Pendelton at Ironton would be a great choice for the next coach.
This would definitely stink for us, but I couldn’t blame him because everyone’s dream is to move up. This would be a moving up for him. He would have way more resources and be able to blow this new era of recruiting talent out of this world coaching a huge private school program in Cincinnati. Makes sense that maybe his brother hasn’t put in for the Notre Dame job because of the Moeller job? Who knows. Will never fault for someone for bettering themselves. Go Tigers

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

PinBall,

I agree with you X and O’s on everything you said, except Pendleton has a long way to go before entering conversations with the Legendary Coach Lutz. Pendleton has got off to a good start for his career, but let’s see how it all goes. Coach Lutz is a legend man!

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

irontonwizard wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:40 pm

PinBall,

I agree with you X and O’s on everything you said, except Pendleton has a long way to go before entering conversations with the Legendary Coach Lutz. Pendleton has got off to a good start for his career, but let’s see how it all goes. Coach Lutz is a legend man!
Just pointing out the first five years. Coach Lutz is a legend. I was just comparing the start of their careers. I think Pendelton start to his career is as good as any coach in the game. Not many guys under 30 Coach in 3 state championships.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

XandOs wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:30 pm

PinBall,

Just pointing out the first five years. Coach Lutz is a legend. I was just comparing the start of their careers. I think Pendelton start to his career is as good as any coach in the game. Not many guys under 30 Coach in 3 state championships.
I agree with that and that’s why it wouldn’t be surprising to me if Moeller was interested in him as well as him interested in their program too. There is not many upgrades to Ironton football, but Moeller definitely is for sure. Go Tigers

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

irontonwizard wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:05 pm

I agree with that and that’s why it wouldn’t be surprising to me if Moeller was interested in him as well as him interested in their program too. There is not many upgrades to Ironton football, but Moeller definitely is for sure. Go Tigers
He has a good situation in Ironton, but Ironton is far from a top job in the state. It’s not even the top job with regards to the small schools, forget about comparing it to the D4 and up programs.

Pendelton going from Ironton to Moeller is comparable to Faust going from Moeller to Notre Dame. Completely different level of football. Pendelton could go his entire career not winning a state title at Ironton, and his job would not be at risk. That will not be the case at Moeller.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:46 pm
irontonwizard wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:05 pm

He has a good situation in Ironton, but Ironton is far from a top job in the state. It’s not even the top job with regards to the small schools, forget about comparing it to the D4 and up programs.

Pendelton going from Ironton to Moeller is comparable to Faust going from Moeller to Notre Dame. Completely different level of football. Pendelton could go his entire career not winning a state title at Ironton, and his job would not be at risk. That will not be the case at Moeller.
Ironton is one of top small school jobs in the state, but I agree with everything else you have said. I think as humans we are always looking for the next step up and Moeller would be a next step up for Pendleton if he wants to move up the ladder, but not sure who we would replace him with? Surely people would be interested in our program.

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

I just hope you guys will let us use the Tank once we get our program back up and running

Return to “Football”