Riding the Bench

Waverly has left the building!

Post by Volunteer »

Waverly will be leaving the SOC for the FAC

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Waverly has left the building!

Post by noreply66 »

might be the start for the FAC to become 10.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Cool, bring Unioto

Volunteer
Riding the Bench

Post by Volunteer »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm Cool, bring Unioto
I believe they are

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

If the move is factual, what benefits would accrue to Waverly? More travel? Competing against larger schools? Escaping an OVC merger with the SOC? Memory of the Tigers ill fated venture into the SEOAL 52 years ago should reveal new pastures are not always greener.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Volunteer wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 pm Waverly will be leaving the SOC for the FAC
Interesting, I should have confirmation on this tomorrow hopefully but I was told couple weeks ago there was a push from certain ppl to make the jump to FAC play. When I asked about the reasoning as to why we'd want to add these drive times, at that time it was said, "I have no idea why the idiot is pushing this agenda." Again I will comment more on this on Thursday or Friday once I reach out to a few individuals but there was talk of this back in early December I believe it was.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 pm Cool, bring Unioto
Whether or not Waverly goes, I've always felt Unioto was a great fit for FAC.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:13 pm
Volunteer wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 pm Waverly will be leaving the SOC for the FAC
Interesting, I should have confirmation on this tomorrow hopefully but I was told couple weeks ago there was a push from certain ppl to make the jump to FAC play. When I asked about the reasoning as to why we'd want to add these drive times, at that time it was said, "I have no idea why the idiot is pushing this agenda." Again I will comment more on this on Thursday or Friday once I reach out to a few individuals but there was talk of this back in early December I believe it was.
I was told tonight it’s not happening at this time, but there is heavy talk about it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

For giggles I mapped out current travels in league games FAC what would be

Waverly to FAC average 44 min

Waverly to SOC average 37 min

If Unioto is added in it drops to 41 min for FAC

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:52 pm For giggles I mapped out current travels in league games FAC what would be

Yeah and that drive to Hillsboro and McClain SUCKS, at least the rest are all highway. The Chillicothe drive time helps cut that drive time average down as it's 48 minutes without it or 41 mile average 1 way. Chillicothe is listed as 23 minutes or 17.4 miles.

SOC-- 5 teams, with Northwest coming into play next season is 31.2 min, so I'm not sure where your 37 average came from, or 28 mile average 1 way.

Think I'll stick with the SOC driving side of things all highway with very little 2 lane road driving. Plus with busses we know those averages are off especially for McClain and Hillsboro so add about another 10 minutes to it, think we can save the extra hour of driving and stay put.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

What are the sizes of the schools in the FAC compared to the SOC?

I know they are the biggest school in the SOC, but not exactly sure on the numbers

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

HERO wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:19 am What are the sizes of the schools in the FAC compared to the SOC?

I know they are the biggest school in the SOC, but not exactly sure on the numbers
I do not have the numbers readily accessible but for SOC football, Wheelersburg, West, Minford, and Northwest play in D5. Valley is D6. Waverly is D4.

All of the existing FAC schools are D3 in football except McClain which is D4.

The FAC definitely has become a solid conference. If they aim for 10-12 teams with divisions, the addition of say Waverly, Unioto, Zane Trace, and Logan Elm to join McClain in a D4 group and Circleville and/or Western Brown to join the D3 schools does make some sense for the FAC.

Otherwise, Waverly should stay in their SOC den.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
jose12
Waterboy

Post by jose12 »

In 2 years Miami Trace will more than likely be D1 in all sports but football. Football will probably be D2

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Omega wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:21 am
HERO wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:19 am What are the sizes of the schools in the FAC compared to the SOC?

I do not have the numbers readily accessible but for SOC football, Wheelersburg, West, Minford, and Northwest play in D5. Valley is D6. Waverly is D4.

All of the existing FAC schools are D3 in football except McClain which is D4.

The FAC definitely has become a solid conference. If they aim for 10-12 teams with divisions, the addition of say Waverly, Unioto, Zane Trace, and Logan Elm to join McClain in a D4 group and Circleville and/or Western Brown to join the D3 schools does make some sense for the FAC.

Otherwise, Waverly should stay in their SOC den.
So stay in a league with better travel and you are the biggest school, or go to a league with farther travel and you will be one of the smallest schools.

Seems like a no brainer

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I got word of this yesterday by someone that I feel would know so it looks like its a real possibility.

You have to feel like the FAC will want an 8th team before they let Waverly join. A 7 team league is rough with open weeks in football and open Friday nights in boys basketball.

I would think Unioto makes the most sense.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Unioto is not going anywhere.
The SVC has been a solid 8 team conference for decades.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Zero chance unioto leaves the svc and especially not for the fac.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Waverly has upgraded facilities and I believe this move could really help them get better. The important thing is hire quality coaches who want to work hard and do what it takes to
improve. Competition only makes you better if you have quality people and want to work
hard. Good luck to Waverly,no
matter what decision they make.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:41 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:52 pm For giggles I mapped out current travels in league games FAC what would be

Yeah and that drive to Hillsboro and McClain SUCKS, at least the rest are all highway. The Chillicothe drive time helps cut that drive time average down as it's 48 minutes without it or 41 mile average 1 way. Chillicothe is listed as 23 minutes or 17.4 miles.

SOC-- 5 teams, with Northwest coming into play next season is 31.2 min, so I'm not sure where your 37 average came from, or 28 mile average 1 way.

Think I'll stick with the SOC driving side of things all highway with very little 2 lane road driving. Plus with busses we know those averages are off especially for McClain and Hillsboro so add about another 10 minutes to it, think we can save the extra hour of driving and stay put.
28 one way? I never said that?

In my numbers I did include South Webster so during football the SOC a bit lower. 36 min average

I used Oak Hill, Valley, West, Burg, Minford and South Webster…just mapped each one and took the time it said. Oak Hill 45, South Webster 45, Burg 40, West 40, Minford 25, Valley 24

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Would Ironton be a possibility for football only to join FAC? That seems to be the only sport the other OVC schools having issues with them. Don't know if FAC would want to take on a partial member though.

More likely scenario is that you are going to see announcements of certain OVC schools leaving for the SOC over the next few months.*

Return to “Football”