Waverly has left the building!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Re: Waverly has left the building!

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

This could get interesting for many reasons. Trace might grow or not with the new battery factory come out by the I-71 and US 35 interchange or people might just drive in because of the two highways. Still no mentioned on here of the other SOC school being mentioned in some circles to the FAC but probably just rumors which can get started easily. I would bet on a middle division for the SOC but doubt it affects football.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:59 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:54 am Well....meeting happen not sure as to when they're planning on voting but I don't believe FAC brought a very good argument to the table. They are only proposing Waverly to join, which makes zero sense as to why you'd want to make it an uneven number. Their thoughts were it'd be easier to get to 8 if they had 7, so why would team 7 jump in not knowing who team 8 would be and would be outnumbered as to who would be going in?? Someone already stated Miami Trace will more than likely be jumping to DII by the time this takes effect, so the only other teams in proximity of these and might be willing to jump in are all larger schools.

Sounds like to me it'd be more beneficial for the SOC to fix what they've got going on. Apparently both Northwest and Oak Hill are wanting out, I believe SOC would be better off reaching out to teams wanting to make a move from OVC play and build the league

Big Division early on could like like this:
Burg
West
Waverly
Portsmouth
Gallia??

Small Division:
Minford
Valley
Coal Grove
Northwest (might stay if this were to happen) if not Rock Hill
Chesapeake

This would keep the driving for most relatively close, each team would have 4 conference games and can play 2 cross division games thus only needing 4 non-conference games. Sometimes it's easier to fix things in house as opposed to running off into the unknown because based off of that meeting seems to me there's a lot of unknowns. We'll see how it unfolds, there's been no timetable set as to any voting on this subject.
I think there is still something in the works on a 3rd division in the SOC.
I'm with ya there, there's obviously better solutions to fixing the problem.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:34 pm This could get interesting for many reasons. Trace might grow or not with the new battery factory come out by the I-71 and US 35 interchange or people might just drive in because of the two highways. Still no mentioned on here of the other SOC school being mentioned in some circles to the FAC but probably just rumors which can get started easily. I would bet on a middle division for the SOC but doubt it affects football.
There isn't one, only team FAC mentioned was wanting Waverly

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:57 pm
MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:34 pm This could get interesting for many reasons. Trace might grow or not with the new battery factory come out by the I-71 and US 35 interchange or people might just drive in because of the two highways. Still no mentioned on here of the other SOC school being mentioned in some circles to the FAC but probably just rumors which can get started easily. I would bet on a middle division for the SOC but doubt it affects football.
What other SOC Team would even consider it - way to far to travel…. Wheelersburg is the only one good enough to compete but are they wanting to travel that far for all sports?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

smurray wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am
What other SOC Team would even consider it - way to far to travel…. Wheelersburg is the only one good enough to compete but are they wanting to travel that far for all sports?
I doubt they would. The only chance of any other SOC teams joining would be if the FAC had a massive addition and went to two divisions. East/West to cut travel would work well imo.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

The FAC went from dead in the water to the talk of the off season. Best league in southern Ohio !

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

smurray wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am
Burg would fit in FAC from a competitive standpoint, but no way do they want that extra travel (even with the Portsmouth Bypass). They're not going anywhere.*

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:24 am The FAC went from dead in the water to the talk of the off season. Best league in southern Ohio !
Funny how back in 2016 the fledgling FAC seemed doomed to fail from the start. Now the conference is quite functional, competitive, and looking to grow.

I for one gave it little chance because of the Highland County schools were rumored to be unhappy from the start. Live and learn.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Omega wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:10 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:24 am The FAC went from dead in the water to the talk of the off season. Best league in southern Ohio !
Funny how back in 2016 the fledgling FAC seemed doomed to fail from the start. Now the conference is quite functional, competitive, and looking to grow.

I for one gave it little chance because of the Highland County schools were rumored to be unhappy from the start. Live and learn.

It’s very competitive in all sports.

21bwc
Waterboy

Post by 21bwc »

Is the merger talk with OVC for football done for now?

Freelobotomy
Waterboy

Post by Freelobotomy »

Western brown would be a good fit.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Freelobotomy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:48 pm Western brown would be a good fit.
Western brown was one of my guesses simply because they already play like half the FAC already but there’s a big difference in football travel every other year and all sports. I guess one of the big draws the FAC was bringing to the table was the added programs such as bowling, swimming, arts, wrestling things of that nature which would get more students involved.

go court house
Freshman Team

Post by go court house »

I have been told by a pretty good source that this is not happening now and Wavelry will be staying put in the SOC

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

The SOC overall, particularly their core teams and as a conference, has been very stable for nearly 70 years. It’s always been competitive and consistently been one of the better bodies of work for athletics since 1946. Here’s a brief overview of the consistency:

New Boston: Charter Member and still member of the SOC.
Sciotoville(formerly Portsmouth East): same as above
Portsmouth West (formerly Washington Township): Same as above
Waverly: Charter Member (SEOAL from 1970-1983) and back to the SOC
Portsmouth Clay: 1979-Present
Green: 1979-Present
Notre Dame: 1946-Present
Symmes Valley: 1991-Present
Minford: 1947-1958, then 1959-Present
Northwest: 1960-Present
Oak Hill: 1991-Present
South Webster: 1979-Present
Valley: 1958-Present
Wheelersburg: 1950-Present

The Conference in Total has won 16 State Championships (including Waterloo’s 2 State Championships) and has been State Runner Up in various sports 13 times, and 65 times has a team made the Final Four in various sports. That’s nearly 1 per year in the 77 year history of the Conference. This speaks volumes to the Conference as a whole and their consistency for the Conference in totality.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

go court house wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:25 am I have been told by a pretty good source that this is not happening now and Wavelry will be staying put in the SOC
I don't look for this to happen, there was only a small group that ever thought it would be a good idea. Location, Location, Location plus Waverly turning into the smallest school outside of McClain isn't a smart move. The rest who was either on the fence or already against seem to be realizing this wouldn't be a move to benefit the sports.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:52 am The SOC overall, particularly their core teams and as a conference, has been very stable for nearly 70 years. It’s always been competitive and consistently been one of the better bodies of work for athletics since 1946. Here’s a brief overview of the consistency:

The Conference in Total has won 16 State Championships (including Waterloo’s 2 State Championships) and has been State Runner Up in various sports 13 times, and 65 times has a team made the Final Four in various sports. That’s nearly 1 per year in the 77 year history of the Conference. This speaks volumes to the Conference as a whole and their consistency for the Conference in totality.
Great historical summary Mr. Vorhees.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:52 am The SOC overall, particularly their core teams and as a conference, has been very stable for nearly 70 years. It’s always been competitive and consistently been one of the better bodies of work for athletics since 1946. Here’s a brief overview of the consistency:

Great historical summary Mr. Vorhees.
Very much agree.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

Who in the district has the authority to decide a move like this? Is it a combination of the Super, Board of Ed, AD? Either way that news article that was released and the president of board demanding a retraction doesn't look good for the leadership within the Waverly School District.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

SEO Sports wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:34 am Who in the district has the authority to decide a move like this? Is it a combination of the Super, Board of Ed, AD? Either way that news article that was released and the president of board demanding a retraction doesn't look good for the leadership within the Waverly School District.
The school board is the ones who decide that type of move. In terms of the other stuff, demanding a retraction?? You mean demanded stuff be taken out that was not verified by any individual and was per speculation by an upset citizen spreading rumors?? Pretty sure that's grounds for suing based off defamation of character as the writer simply wrote about rumors.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:20 am
SEO Sports wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:34 am Who in the district has the authority to decide a move like this? Is it a combination of the Super, Board of Ed, AD? Either way that news article that was released and the president of board demanding a retraction doesn't look good for the leadership within the Waverly School District.
The school board is the ones who decide that type of move. In terms of the other stuff, demanding a retraction?? You mean demanded stuff be taken out that was not verified by any individual and was per speculation by an upset citizen spreading rumors?? Pretty sure that's grounds for suing based off defamation of character as the writer simply wrote about rumors.
Always been told where there is smoke, there is fire. If it is completely based of an upset citizen, then I am all for the district filling a lawsuit.

Return to “Football”