Post season interview with Kris Garner Head Coach Columbus Crusaders

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post season interview with Kris Garner Head Coach Columbus Crusaders

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

For me this interview was pretty cool because I have been able to cover the Crusaders a couple of times in the last two or three years and it gives me a chance to get their name out there also it gives many of you who read these interviews a chance to get to know them.

Name Kris Garner

Position Head Coach

School Columbus Crusaders

1: How long have you been coaching?
5 years with the Crusaders

2: What is the best part about coaching the Columbus Crusaders?
I love the community that has been created with the Columbus Crusaders. I started off with the organization 7 years ago with my 12-year-old son playing flag football and I naturally progressed to help coming with the Varsity program. Also, I love the fact that I get the chance to mentor young men and teach them life skills as well as the great game of football that I love and have loved for many years. Also, I love the fact that I get to combine my 2 worlds into 1, meaning I get to teach Christian biblical manhood to these young men and teach football, as well.

3: What is the toughest part about coaching the Columbus Crusaders?
Homeschool sports are slightly different than a normal high school program. There are many times that we do not know how many players we will have, and we are struggling to fill a season schedule. Also, the respect factor that comes along with being a Homeschool football program, there is a constant uphill battle that we fight to not only provide to ourselves, but we must provide to others that we belong and that we can play good football. Other things that are tough about coaching the Crusaders is that even though we have a great community, it's always a challenge with meeting the expectations of parents while also trying to provide the parents with the realities of players abilities and skill level.

4: Can you tell our readers where you guys get your players from and what that process is like?
Our players come from various backgrounds and schooling situations. While the Crusaders are predominantly a Homeschool program, we do have players that attend Christian private schools, schools that do not provide sports programs, homeschoolers, and we even have some young men that attend schools that offer sports, but they are not comfortable with playing for their school, whether it be because of the environment or their skill level.

5: In looking at your schedule, you guys played three OHSAA schools; can you tell us how difficult it is for a home school to get games with OHSAA teams?
It is very difficult to schedule games with OHSAA, schools mainly because of the whole points system for the OHSAA playoffs. A lot of the OHSAA schools think that it is too risky to play us, because they do not understand, or they do not know how playing us would affect their chances of getting into the playoffs. We have been thankful for the OHSAA schools that have looked beyond the points systems and scheduled us.

6: What was the high point of the 2022 season for you as a coach?
The highlights of our 2022 season for me would be 3 things:
1.)The resiliency that my players showed, starting the season 0-3 and rallying together to finish out our season strong winning our League Championship
2.)Winning our League Championship, last year we finished 3rd in our League. 2022 we were able to get over the hump and obtain the goal we have had since joining our League (The Great Lakes Christian Athletic Conference) 2 years ago.
3.)Winning the Panama City Beach Bowl in Panama City Beach, Florida.

7: Since you guys do not compete in the OHSAA, what are the goals for you guys as far as playoffs and championships go?
Although we are not a part of OHSAA, we have been afforded the position/opportunity of being a part of the Great Lakes Christian Athletic Conference (GLCAC). This League is comprised of teams from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. GLCAC is a competitive football league, using the National Federation of High School Sports rules. While being a part of this league we can win a league championship. Also, with being a homeschool program we can participate in a National Homeschool Football Association tournament that is held in Panama City Beach, Florida. This tournament encompasses homeschool teams from all over the country, they have their own set of team rankings and seeding for the tournament that leads up to winning a National Homeschool Championship along with various bowl games.

8: Would you let our readers know what league you play in, along with the teams in the league?
We play in the Great Lakes Christian Athletic Conference (GLCAC). This League is comprised of teams from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. Teams include Cincinnati Landmark Eagles (OH), Noblesville Lions (IN), Illinois Crusaders (IL), Grand Valley Christian Patriots (MI), Calumet Christian Patriots (IN), Middletown Christian Eagles (OH), and Osceola Grace Eagles (IN).

9: I know numbers vary from year to year, but on average, how many players do you guys usually have on your roster?
We usually average between 30 – 35 players per year.

10: How much is a ticket for your home games, and can you tell the readers where you play your home games?

Our ticket prices are Adults- $5, Students/Senior Citizens - $3. We also play our games a various location but last season we played our home games at Otterbein University and Grove City Christian High School.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Post season interview with Kris Garner Head Coach Columbus Crusaders

Post by VetteMan »

Are the majority of your games held in the afternoon ? Where do you get your officials from ?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Post season interview with Kris Garner Head Coach Columbus Crusaders

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Most of their games are at night time. Not sure on the refs and how they go about getting them.

Return to “Football”