Wellston Football Coach

Ironmen44
JV Team

Re: Wellston Football Coach

Post by Ironmen44 »

Curious to know what years did Coach Graham play varsity football for the Rockets? I know he’s a Wellston alum.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

There were three boys that attended Vinton County to play football. Two of them are back. I agree Yates and Justus were big mistakes. Coach Graham is not going to let them down. I know that he played in the late 80s.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

WildManWill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:39 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:01 pm
WildManWill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:07 pm

Schools do all the time if it’s the right thing to do for the kids any argument to that is wrong.

Also, what you’re failing to understand is the fact that Wellston HAS went through the grievance process and has been willing to pay the usual $5,000 grievance..

It’s a no brainer whenever not following that process is costing you roughly $7-8,000 per kid that transfers out of the district.

Wellston has lost nearly $40,000 in funding this year alone due to transfers. I’m not saying all but most transfers have been due to the athletics department decisions.

A simple grievance filing and payment saves the district possibly $35,000??? Come on man.

This has nothing to do with coach Graham as I’ve stated many times already he is a wonderful individual with tons of dedication and passion but he is being setup to fail with the current mess.
They lost the transfers when they couldn't figure out something with Yates and you have to know that. You can cry about the process all you want but it's the process man it's that plain and simple. How's he being setup to fail?? Facts are you're arguing why the board didn't post and hire outside of the school system and now you're saying it's nothing against Graham 100% it is otherwise you wouldn't be saying anything about the hire. He's not being setup to fail he's being brought in early enough to try and put something in place instead of bringing someone in come June and they quit in August. If anything, they're going with someone who is involved with these kids and hoping to try and turn things around there's not a coach in this world that could step into the current Wellston situation and turn it around without having a 3-5 year window for doing so.
My brother in Christ… my point is the process has been changed several times up until the last few years when all of a sudden the board let the Union take everything over.

The Yates thing was a massive failure. Caused by the board making promises they shouldn’t have been, Causing students to leave. The rehiring of a basketball coach because he is a teacher caused more students to leave. All of this reverts back to a practice that for years has been avoided by realizing what is best and dealing with the grievance.

I’m not complaining about Graham being hired. I’m complaining about the fact that they should have looked at all options internal and external which they can do. The grievance would only be filed if there isn’t reasonable explanation on why the internal pool isn’t qualified.

Graham is being setup for failure by being given the keys to an absolute dumpster fire when he hasn’t coached at the varsity level for more than a few years as an unpaid assistant in the early and mid 2010’s when his boy was coming up through. How is that fair to him? If the program was in a solid place or this hire was done a year ago Graham is absolutely the answer because he could of picked up right where Coach Smith left things and learned the ropes while leaning on a several great staff members that were willing to stay with one of the best athletic groups in the Wellston school system.
How fair is that to him? Dude that’s hilarious acting like he doesn’t know what he’s getting into. 100% agree the Yates deal was a huge mess, he could’ve worked it out I don’t think he wanted to once it all the dust settled I think he figured out what dumpster he was getting. Now whoever dropped the ball on that was crazy because of the reasons were true in terms of teaching degrees they should’ve known that at the time of hire. I think Yates was trying to push himself forward in a system that wouldn’t allow it and he thought he’d get away with it.

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:13 pm

They lost the transfers when they couldn't figure out something with Yates and you have to know that. You can cry about the process all you want but it's the process man it's that plain and simple. How's he being setup to fail?? Facts are you're arguing why the board didn't post and hire outside of the school system and now you're saying it's nothing against Graham 100% it is otherwise you wouldn't be saying anything about the hire. He's not being setup to fail he's being brought in early enough to try and put something in place instead of bringing someone in come June and they quit in August. If anything, they're going with someone who is involved with these kids and hoping to try and turn things around there's not a coach in this world that could step into the current Wellston situation and turn it around without having a 3-5 year window for doing so.
My brother in Christ… my point is the process has been changed several times up until the last few years when all of a sudden the board let the Union take everything over.

The Yates thing was a massive failure. Caused by the board making promises they shouldn’t have been, Causing students to leave. The rehiring of a basketball coach because he is a teacher caused more students to leave. All of this reverts back to a practice that for years has been avoided by realizing what is best and dealing with the grievance.

I’m not complaining about Graham being hired. I’m complaining about the fact that they should have looked at all options internal and external which they can do. The grievance would only be filed if there isn’t reasonable explanation on why the internal pool isn’t qualified.

Graham is being setup for failure by being given the keys to an absolute dumpster fire when he hasn’t coached at the varsity level for more than a few years as an unpaid assistant in the early and mid 2010’s when his boy was coming up through. How is that fair to him? If the program was in a solid place or this hire was done a year ago Graham is absolutely the answer because he could of picked up right where Coach Smith left things and learned the ropes while leaning on a several great staff members that were willing to stay with one of the best athletic groups in the Wellston school system.
How fair is that to him? Dude that’s hilarious acting like he doesn’t know what he’s getting into. 100% agree the Yates deal was a huge mess, he could’ve worked it out I don’t think he wanted to once it all the dust settled I think he figured out what dumpster he was getting. Now whoever dropped the ball on that was crazy because of the reasons were true in terms of teaching degrees they should’ve known that at the time of hire. I think Yates was trying to push himself forward in a system that wouldn’t allow it and he thought he’d get away with it.
100% hit the nail on the head with Yates. That whole thing was bizarre and the more I watched and followed and asked questions it only got worse.

I think Graham is aware of what he’s getting into I just don’t think it’s a fair situation unless they let him do what needs to be done. Which is a lot.

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

GRFan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:51 pm There were three boys that attended Vinton County to play football. Two of them are back. I agree Yates and Justus were big mistakes. Coach Graham is not going to let them down. I know that he played in the late 80s.
Between basketball and football they lost 5 total.

4 that were football players

And two basketball only guys.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

WildManWill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:33 pm
GRFan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:51 pm There were three boys that attended Vinton County to play football. Two of them are back. I agree Yates and Justus were big mistakes. Coach Graham is not going to let them down. I know that he played in the late 80s.

That’s some interesting math. You learn that at Wellston?

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

Ground Buck wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:13 pm

They must have some interesting classes at dear old WHS. The moms are always talking about derivatives of 69 when they are buying their daily desserts.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

And how fair is it that he has his daddy get on here and try to defend him already. Instead of daddyball, Wellston has "Daddycoaching"! SMDH

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:53 am

And how fair is it that he has his daddy get on here and try to defend him already. Instead of daddyball, Wellston has "Daddycoaching"! SMDH
No idea what you’re talking about then again judging by your post you don’t know either.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Dont act like you dont know.....dad.....

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

Ground Buck wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:13 pm

LOL my bad I was counting by names and meant to switch the basketball to 1 because the other just quit didn’t transfer.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:28 pm Dont act like you dont know.....dad.....
Dude, there’s not a soul that knows what you’re talking about including yourself.

Gilligan
Waterboy

Post by Gilligan »

greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:49 pm
Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:28 pm Dont act like you dont know.....dad.....
Dude, there’s not a soul that knows what you’re talking about including yourself.
It would appear that he is accusing you of being the coachs dad. Is this true?

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Gilligan wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:53 am
Yeah seemed pretty clear to me too. Glad I’m not the only one who understood.

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ground Buck wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:02 am

:lol: It was understood it was such a stupid statement thought it was pretty pointless to acknowledge. I just find it very funny any time someone disagrees with anyone they think it's because they have a personal connection to the subject like a person can't have an opinion. Not his dad wouldn't know the guy if he walked into the room, so now that some disagree with the hiring is it because you're bitter they didn't pick you for the job?

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

greygoose wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:02 pm

:lol: It was understood it was such a stupid statement thought it was pretty pointless to acknowledge. I just find it very funny any time someone disagrees with anyone they think it's because they have a personal connection to the subject like a person can't have an opinion. Not his dad wouldn't know the guy if he walked into the room, so now that some disagree with the hiring is it because you're bitter they didn't pick you for the job?
Just want to state I thought we were having a great back and forth and I didn’t catch the vibe you have any skin in the game. The above statements threw me off as well. Lol

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

WildManWill wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:52 pm

Just want to state I thought we were having a great back and forth and I didn’t catch the vibe you have any skin in the game. The above statements threw me off as well. Lol
Nope very few have skin in the game so to speak, just going off of what I’ve heard about the man after the hiring. After the off season and season the kids had they deserve stability for sure.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I see you made a funny. Did you say that because they picked you the job? 😂

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Ironmen44 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:18 pm Curious to know what years did Coach Graham play varsity football for the Rockets? I know he’s a Wellston alum.
1986 Freshman year only.

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

hsfbfan wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:03 pm
Ironmen44 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:18 pm Curious to know what years did Coach Graham play varsity football for the Rockets? I know he’s a Wellston alum.
1986 Freshman year only.
Thanks Hsfbfan - didn’t think he played much varsity football for the Rockets

Return to “Football”