A Look At The 2022 OHSAA State Football Championship Attendance Numbers...That Remain Flat

radiodavel
JV Team

A Look At The 2022 OHSAA State Football Championship Attendance Numbers...That Remain Flat

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2022 ... ce-numbers

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Re: A Look At The 2022 OHSAA State Football Championship Attendance Numbers...That Remain Flat

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Its absolutely embarrassing as a fan.

I had my two neighbors over the last 3-weekends to watch & stream on the big flat here in Orlando & both have boys that are FB frosh at Osceola, FL HS, a state power IN my neighborhood in Kissimmee.
I hyped Canton so much & they were like:
“thats the HOF STADIUM”?

Where are the fans that were in Cincinnati last week & the week B4?

The electricity of the final 4 & Final 8 are gone.

I bought every championship game to enjoy & they left once Bloom Carroll got down by two scores…

Ugh!!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: A Look At The 2022 OHSAA State Football Championship Attendance Numbers...That Remain Flat

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

If you notice the numbers circled you will see these games were played in Columbus. When will the OH$AA wake up and realize more casual fans will travel to Columbus to watch the games then to Canton. Someone at the OH$AA is taking care of a buddy in Canton. I hope they continue to lose money every year until they wake up.

Also, check out the numbers for the Burg title game in 2017 in DV. Had that game been in Columbus I bet there would have been well over 10,000 people there.
Attachments
60CB0096-F931-4994-93CA-A528BF30F374.jpeg

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Anyone have an idea how the availability of "streaming" is impacting actual attendance?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Columbus bidding to host football State Finals again with old Crew Stadium as proposed site (located off I-71 at State Fairgrounds). They put field turf in and it seats about 20k.

I think you’d see attendance go up with a more central location. Also would be a better at atmosphere with the smaller stadium (like UD Arena for boys bball State tourney vs. the Schott).

Dayton Welcome Stadium also has applied and not sure if Canton has applied to keep it or not.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

It's tough to compare the numbers while it was in Columbus simply because the streaming availability wasn't there at the time. OHSAA needs to put out the numbers from fans in attendance and the tickets sold online.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Crew Stadium would be an awesome site for the state games. Parking would be much improved, it was a nightmare this weekend. They opened one lot for the Ironton game about a half hour before the game. Crew Stadium isn’t too big that it will look empty, still has more seats than Canton. OHSAA big wigs wouldn’t get those nice club seats, so that’s probably out.

Ironton had to play 4 hours away at 10:30 in the morning and OHSAA didn’t reimburse for hotels. Probably cost $10,000 or more to make the state championship. Sad

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:41 am Crew Stadium would be an awesome site for the state games. Parking would be much improved, it was a nightmare this weekend. They opened one lot for the Ironton game about a half hour before the game. Crew Stadium isn’t too big that it will look empty, still has more seats than Canton. OHSAA big wigs wouldn’t get those nice club seats, so that’s probably out.

Ironton had to play 4 hours away at 10:30 in the morning and OHSAA didn’t reimburse for hotels. Probably cost $10,000 or more to make the state championship. Sad

That’s Flippin ridiculous. I bet there’s some schools couldn’t afford to pay that so they probably tell their teams to tank a game so they don’t make it that far. That’s sad.

OH$AA cares about no one but themselves!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:41 am Crew Stadium would be an awesome site for the state games. Parking would be much improved, it was a nightmare this weekend. They opened one lot for the Ironton game about a half hour before the game. Crew Stadium isn’t too big that it will look empty, still has more seats than Canton. OHSAA big wigs wouldn’t get those nice club seats, so that’s probably out.

Yep and how many of the Ironton players do you actually think got a good nights sleep?? South Range, and this isn't saying this changes the outcome, got to sleep in their own beds and drive 40-45 minutes to the ball game. The money OHSAA makes there's no reason they can't work out deals and take care of lodging for something like that. Heck even changing game times around could've avoided this for Ironton, teams with the overall closest drives should be tasked to play the 10:30 games

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

OHSAA looks out first for the OHSAA. At least under the current regime. Their number one priority is to pay their salaries.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

One opportunity that exists with Columbus, that doesn’t with Canton, is the sheer number of big high school programs in the area. Lots of players and coaches in the area who have an interest in watching the state finals if they don’t qualify to it themselves.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

greygoose wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:18 am

Yep and how many of the Ironton players do you actually think got a good nights sleep?? South Range, and this isn't saying this changes the outcome, got to sleep in their own beds and drive 40-45 minutes to the ball game. The money OHSAA makes there's no reason they can't work out deals and take care of lodging for something like that. Heck even changing game times around could've avoided this for Ironton, teams with the overall closest drives should be tasked to play the 10:30 games
That was a topic of conversation during the 30 minute pre-game” show” ohsaa.tv put on prior to the kick off.

They showed the map of OHIO 2 or 3x’s denoting where Ironton was & how SR & Canfield BOTH made it & my neighbors were like, is this a rub in your towns face?
Your boys had to travel so far & 2 teams from the same town play B2B & CANFIELD BOYS are on sidelines at end to show support, is this a regional channel that is near the FB HOF?
Do they NOT WANT YOUR HS TO come back? Yep- You got killed on D, special teams, & discipline & that is a recipe for a Loss.
They should have made closer schools, regardless of division, play a.m. games.
I didn't know what to say except ohsaa. Tv was prolly centered in C-Bus & both Canfield schools have been strong, but it was their first trip to finals each..

Anyway, just chiming in.

Ez for me to say as a fan so far away that just streamed about $150 in last 3-weeks. Im sure streaming has a lot to do with attendance. I’ll be 60 in August & in 2019 i flew home, last two…. STREAM FROM FL. Most of my friends back home I also know that are my age stayed in Tri-State & had gatherings to watch & the a.m. start was a BIG topic of conversation.

I watched the IHS post game presser on youtube KEE sports channel & the boys repped well & were well spoken & proud of their accomplishments. I liked Coach P standing up to the forum bashing & i think @ 30, HE is a helluva guy leading young men to bright futures regardless!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:21 pm One opportunity that exists with Columbus, that doesn’t with Canton, is the sheer number of big high school programs in the area. Lots of players and coaches in the area who have an interest in watching the state finals if they don’t qualify to it themselves.

Yep,makes no sense why Canton. Someone at OH$AA has a buddy in the good ol boy club in Canton that they have been taking care of for awhile. Hell, just look at the nice grandstand and buildings at the fairgrounds they have probably paid for with money from parking over the years.

Columbus at most is probably 2.5 hours away from the town farthest from there. Everyone else is 2 hours and under. The only people close to Canton is NEO teams. Anytime you bring up this subject you always get be glad you are there. NO!!!Thats bullshit!!! If that game would have been in Columbus Ironton could have probably left Early Friday morning and not had to shell out a bunch of money for a hotel. Plus, like someone else said earlier, why wasn’t that game moved to the afternoon since Ironton fans had a 4.5 hour drive ahead of them?? Total BS!!

Like I said earlier I hope they continue to lose money every year they play in Canton. I would have driven to Columbus to watch some games especially someone local. I’m not getting up at 5am to drive to watch someone local.

I remember when Burg played in 2017 it was crazy the amount of people who told me they would have went had it been in Columbus. That game had 9800 people there. Hard to say what that number would have been if it was in Columbus.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I would assume Ironton would have stayed in Columbus with a 10:30 start. But really that’s on Ironton, they could make a different choice. With it being in Canton at 10:30, there is no choice, you have to go up before. The state scheduled the game, the state scheduled the site, the state basically makes you pay the hotel money, then the state gives $0. Pathetic.

mackdog
Freshman Team

Post by mackdog »

Having attended 10 state championship weekends in Canton/Massillon I can say that I loved the time I spent there. Does it make more sense to hold it in a central location? Maybe. All I know is there is zero atmosphere when the games are played in venues that are oversized for HS games. Also, I don't think the MAC or Cincinnati schools mind their trips to Stark County.

Riverratmustache
Waterboy

Post by Riverratmustache »

I think the numbers would bump up if these private schools had their own division. How many public schools have won a state title in the last 20 years in comparison. It's not an even playing field . Public schools bring the biggest numbers.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Look at that 2017 D5 #
Wow

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I just think they need to bring it back to the Shoe. Geographically it makes sense. Plus I guarantee the numbers would go up if it was in Columbus.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

fbnut wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 pm Look at that 2017 D5 #
Wow

I know and if that game is in Columbus I bet it would have been well over 10,000.

Playing at Crew stadium is a perfect venue. Plenty of seating and parking!!! Plenty of things to do after the games. Canton has the pro football hall of fame. That’s pretty much it.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:13 am Columbus bidding to host football State Finals again with old Crew Stadium as proposed site (located off I-71 at State Fairgrounds). They put field turf in and it seats about 20k.

I think you’d see attendance go up with a more central location. Also would be a better at atmosphere with the smaller stadium (like UD Arena for boys bball State tourney vs. the Schott).

Dayton Welcome Stadium also has applied and not sure if Canton has applied to keep it or not.*
Agree completely. As a fan I would drive to Cbus way before I would go to Canton. Just too far. My dad and I spent 8 years in a row going to the Baseball final 4 when it was in Cbus and they took it north now and we havent been once. Doesnt make sense to move these things away from the central part of the state where its 2 hours to get there from most corners of the state.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Football”