2023 Ironton Tigers

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: 2023 Ironton Tigers

Post by BigBlueNation »

RBH23 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:25 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:55 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm

There was definitely a lot of Colleges in town this week. Coach Pendleton and Staff have built a tremendous network and are doing great things in Tigertown.
That's cool. I'm being told there will be a D-1 coach coming to Northwest this week.
Not possible. Only Ironton can attract D-1 coaches :)
Yeah.I forgot about that.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

The Ohio Showcase is going great, some pretty nice players in attendance.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:55 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:00 pm
RRX.2020 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:17 pm I wish the people from Wheelersburg would stay on their own form, we don't care about what you think you may know about Ironton Football. do you think those kids would have gotten the collage offers they got if they had stayed at Valley or anywhere else. They chose to come to Ironton and now playing Collage Balls. Have you noticed how many different College has been in Ironton the last few weeks? Many! And the All Ohio Show case?
Just a couple reasons kids want to go to Ironton to play football.
There was definitely a lot of Colleges in town this week. Coach Pendleton and Staff have built a tremendous network and are doing great things in Tigertown.
That's cool. I'm being told there will be a D-1 coach coming to Northwest this week.
Awesome!!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Some pretty nice QB’s and Receivers.

Irontons Thacker dropping some dimes out there, what a strong arm.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:23 pm Given they lost 4 D1 scholarship players, the most productive QB in school history, a handful more that will play next level (Barnes, Felder, Young) an a three year starter on both sides of the ball (Wilson), it’s hard to say that two move ins make up for all that.

The 2023 team could be really good, and certainly won’t lack for depth. But they are a long way from eclipsing the 2022 team just yet.
I believe, after watching the All Ohio Showcase and some of the workouts, the Fighting Tigers have the potential to be as good if not better than last year’s team. The Offense is going to be better in my opinion. The Defense, hard to tell just yet.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:47 am
TigerBob wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:23 pm Given they lost 4 D1 scholarship players, the most productive QB in school history, a handful more that will play next level (Barnes, Felder, Young) an a three year starter on both sides of the ball (Wilson), it’s hard to say that two move ins make up for all that.

The 2023 team could be really good, and certainly won’t lack for depth. But they are a long way from eclipsing the 2022 team just yet.
I believe, after watching the All Ohio Showcase and some of the workouts, the Fighting Tigers have the potential to be as good if not better than last year’s team. The Offense is going to be better in my opinion. The Defense, hard to tell just yet.
Wow! Better than last year? That’s saying a lot. I hope so.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

RBH23 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:50 am
osu 77 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:22 am Yes it appears that Ironton has done something great again!
And I am tired of hearing about transfers who counts toward the school numbers. They are coming to Ironton because they have been proven to be winners on and off the field. End of story!
Fortunately for Ironton, most of the transfers don’t count towards the CB given that they have been moving into the school district. As for the talk about transfers, that’s not going to stop as long as Ironton is pulling the numbers that they currently do.

With regards to “winners on and off the field”, Ironton has a really good football program, historically and currently. It is truly a football school and the best in SEO.

Off the field is a different story. Ironton academics are not good and nowhere near the best in SEO. All of these kids transferring in are going strictly for football, not for the other sports or for the academics.
Very well said.Our teachers are lowest paid in the county. Very sad

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

irontonwizard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:38 pm

The Offense is going to be loaded, WR’s, RB’s the line will be more experienced and QB’s are all very good. I believe this will be one of the best Offenses we’ve seen in quite a while.
The Defense is a work in progress, but should be very good.

Just my 2 cents…..

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:51 am

The Offense is going to be loaded, WR’s, RB’s the line will be more experienced and QB’s are all very good. I believe this will be one of the best Offenses we’ve seen in quite a while.

Just my 2 cents…..
You’re right we all have our opinions. I do believe the skill positions will be loaded. I want to see if Thacker can stay healthy because he seems to get injured. Defensively we will be a work in progress. The last 4 years our defense has been our strong point, but I believe this year we might have some problems on the dline and linebackers, but hopefully they will be okay.
Go Tigers!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

irontonwizard wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:40 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:51 am

Just my 2 cents…..
You’re right we all have our opinions. I do believe the skill positions will be loaded. I want to see if Thacker can stay healthy because he seems to get injured. Defensively we will be a work in progress. The last 4 years our defense has been our strong point, but I believe this year we might have some problems on the dline and linebackers, but hopefully they will be okay.
Go Tigers!
Problems at DL and LB…

Is that due to loss of talent, depth issues, youth, or a combination of issues listed?

Last five years, there weren’t many unknowns going into the Burg-Ironton game. This year should be very interesting.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Dline will be experienced with Patterson and Layne both returning starters from last year. Ironton has 2 players in Copas and Bump that played big minutes last year that can play Dline and LB. Losing 3 outstanding LBs is a big loss but the returning LBs will be fine. The major loss will be the inside and that position should be the ND transfer and the returning senior Sloan. The 2 OLB’s should be Williams and Sturgell both played big minutes last year and started some playoff games. The secondary has 2 returning starters in Schreck and Terry and now you can add Pittman and Lintz and then add 3-4 guys that will compete for postion battles. The offseason should be a lot of fun with postion battles at some key spots. This team has a lot of depth at multiple positions and has the luxury if needed to only have kids play 1 way to stay fresh

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Bfan99 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:03 am Dline will be experienced with Patterson and Layne both returning starters from last year. Ironton has 2 players in Copas and Bump that played big minutes last year that can play Dline and LB. Losing 3 outstanding LBs is a big loss but the returning LBs will be fine. The major loss will be the inside and that position should be the ND transfer and the returning senior Sloan. The 2 OLB’s should be Williams and Sturgell both played big minutes last year and started some playoff games. The secondary has 2 returning starters in Schreck and Terry and now you can add Pittman and Lintz and then add 3-4 guys that will compete for postion battles. The offseason should be a lot of fun with postion battles at some key spots. This team has a lot of depth at multiple positions and has the luxury if needed to only have kids play 1 way to stay fresh
Thanks for the run down. You’re right they should be good, but not elite as they have been in the past on the dline and linebackers is what I was saying.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

irontonwizard wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:58 am
Bfan99 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:03 am Dline will be experienced with Patterson and Layne both returning starters from last year. Ironton has 2 players in Copas and Bump that played big minutes last year that can play Dline and LB. Losing 3 outstanding LBs is a big loss but the returning LBs will be fine. The major loss will be the inside and that position should be the ND transfer and the returning senior Sloan. The 2 OLB’s should be Williams and Sturgell both played big minutes last year and started some playoff games. The secondary has 2 returning starters in Schreck and Terry and now you can add Pittman and Lintz and then add 3-4 guys that will compete for postion battles. The offseason should be a lot of fun with postion battles at some key spots. This team has a lot of depth at multiple positions and has the luxury if needed to only have kids play 1 way to stay fresh
Thanks for the run down. You’re right they should be good, but not elite as they have been in the past on the dline and linebackers is what I was saying.
I think this could be the best DL Pendelton has had. Patterson IMO is the best DL in last 5 years. Layne just won MVP at the camp and started all last year. Bump played a lot of football last year including starting in playoffs.

LBs is where Ironton coaching staff will have to prove their worth. A lot of young green behind the ear players. Had a move in that looks and moves like the part inside. Zane Williams will be a sophomore and started majority of last season. He will be tough OLB. The other two spots are wide open. We will find out soon.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:47 am
I think this could be the best DL Pendelton has had. Patterson IMO is the best DL in last 5 years. Layne just won MVP at the camp and started all last year. Bump played a lot of football last year including starting in playoffs.

LBs is where Ironton coaching staff will have to prove their worth. A lot of young green behind the ear players. Had a move in that looks and moves like the part inside. Zane Williams will be a sophomore and started majority of last season. He will be tough OLB. The other two spots are wide open. We will find out soon.
Yep we will. Hopefully be okay. Patterson is really good too, but don’t forget Nate Cochran, Seth Fosson and kid from Ashland that year. Might not be at their caliber yet.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

irontonwizard wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:00 am
XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:47 am

Yep we will. Hopefully be okay. Patterson is really good too, but don’t forget Nate Cochran, Seth Fosson and kid from Ashland that year. Might not be at their caliber yet.
Seems everyone’s forgetting about Gossett, he’s back after missing the playoffs last year, he’s going to be really good on the line.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Update - Ironton will be going to the University of Tennessee instead of Toledo

7 on 7 schedule

24 May @ Lakota West - 5 pm
08 Jun @ Tennessee 9 am
21 Jun @ Ohio State - 9 am
23 Jun @ West Virginia - 9 am
20 Jul @ Ironton Air Raid - 11 am

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

My prediction for lineup

T- Patterson
T- Gossett
G-Layne
G-Bump
C- ???
TE-???
WR- Pittman
WR- Terry
WR- Schreck
RB- Williams, Heart,
FB- Copas
QB- Thacker

DL- Patterson
DL- Layne
DL- Bump

LB- Williams
LB- Heart
LB- Sloan
LB- Sturgill

DB- Terry
DB- Lintz??
DB- Schreck
DB- ???

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Anthony Bell?

He showed some quickness running the ball after starters were pulled.

I believe he isa wrestler & On track team too.

Solid Athlete.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Bfan99 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:28 pm
Gray Cat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm
Bfan99 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:06 pm

I would say the top 3 teams in southern Ohio don’t fear anyone. Ironton, Burg and Jackson. Irontons JV schedule has a tougher schedule than 90% of the teams in the area. The top 16 teams make the playoffs now and having 3-4 regular season losses don’t hurt you.
Well that’s good. So we can expect to see some MAC teams and Kirtland on the schedules of those “3 top teams” then?
Kirtland and the MAC schools are 3-4hrs away how does that make sense? It takes both teams to agree to play. Maybe the 3 teams should try and schedule IMG academy in Florida next year.
They’re probably not ready for IMG. They should just start by scheduling a MAC team like Fort Frye did. Also I heard Kirtland might have an opening on the schedule.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Gray Cat wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:19 am
Bfan99 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:28 pm
Gray Cat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:42 pm

Well that’s good. So we can expect to see some MAC teams and Kirtland on the schedules of those “3 top teams” then?
Kirtland and the MAC schools are 3-4hrs away how does that make sense? It takes both teams to agree to play. Maybe the 3 teams should try and schedule IMG academy in Florida next year.
They’re probably not ready for IMG. They should just start by scheduling a MAC team like Fort Frye did. Also I heard Kirtland might have an opening on the schedule.
They are not anywhere near ready to complete with northeast Ohio teams or is any other seo team. The talent level is just not there. And most of the times I've seen ironton or any other seo team play teams north of i70 the difference seams to be line of scrimmage play. The northern Ohio teams almost always dominate the game at the line of scrimmage.

Return to “Football”