2023 Ironton Tigers

RBH23
S

Re: 2023 Ironton Tigers

Post by RBH23 »

Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:40 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:50 pm
Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:02 pm

Best academic school in the area? Thats rich. Sorta like saying a shetland pony is a fast horse when compared to a bunch of donkeys.
Burg is actually ranked in the top 20% nationally based on academics. Ranked around 3,000 out of 18,000 public schools.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-h ... l-rankings
WOW TIMMY! Maybe you guys should have a parade and give all your kids a trophy. Top 3000. You must be so proud.
Quite proud of Burg’s academic accomplishments.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:44 pm A correction - Ironton has won state titles since 1989. They won a couple in golf in the 90s.

Ironton has gone to 3 state final fours since then, too. How many has burg gone to in that time ? Honest question... I don't know.

But, let's be serious & honest about this. The king sport around here is football. And we've dominated the burg except for a short stretch during the Vass years. No disrespect to those involved with other sports - but, for me, you can have superiority in softball, etc. We have your number in football.
I stand corrected, and frankly, winning three golf state titles is quite impressive. Schools in SEO rarely stand a chance in golf.

True, football is the king sport in the area, but for the kids, that’s not always the case at Burg. They have a good soccer program (Ironton hasn’t had one) that takes boys away from football. Also, some of their best athletes never played football; or only played in their younger days. Baseball, for close to 30 years, has been the biggest sport for boys. Why? Because kids from Burg are not going to the NFL, but a number have played professional baseball. Plus, better scholarship opportunities.

But even given all of that, Burg is still that last team in the area to win a state title. And true, Ironton has had Burg’s number of late, but Ironton’s program is highly dependent on getting transfers while Burg’s is not. Can Pendleton keep up that pace? And more importantly for Ironton, can he figure out how to win a state title? Last year was his best chance (a loaded team, strong senior class, no Kirtland, no MAC school to play) may not get a chance like that again for a while.
Last edited by RBH23 on Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:58 pm
mustard wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:35 pm
Tomcat Queen wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:26 pm

Keep venting. Eventually your anger and hatred for Ironton might morph into anger toward me. That would be good because your Tiger envy is becoming embarrassing. Breathe 🧘
Lol move on then 😂 i got your point four posts ago….

but it doesn’t change the truth
So, you realize the truth about your obsession. Have checked in at haters anonymous on the Tiger/Tomcat thread. I think it could help you a great deal with your obsession.
What is it that you like about me that you have to keep replying back lol

By the way your comprehension on forums are sub par lol 😂

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

LockHerUp wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:44 pm A correction - Ironton has won state titles since 1989. They won a couple in golf in the 90s.

Ironton has gone to 3 state final fours since then, too. How many has burg gone to in that time ? Honest question... I don't know.

But, let's be serious & honest about this. The king sport around here is football. And we've dominated the burg except for a short stretch during the Vass years. No disrespect to those involved with other sports - but, for me, you can have superiority in softball, etc. We have your number in football.
definitely have burgs number in football with transfers

Vass didn’t get any transfers

Ironton like 3 and 2 against that burg team too with those transfers kind of embarrassing since you brought all those dudes in

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Heard we got a couple new kids this week from Northwest. In truth to that? Also, hearing several more are coming.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

irontonwizard wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:40 pm Heard we got a couple new kids this week from Northwest. In truth to that? Also, hearing several more are coming.
I know 1 for sure from Northwest, maybe a couple from across the river. :D

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

irontonwizard wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:40 pm Heard we got a couple new kids this week from Northwest. In truth to that? Also, hearing several more are coming.
I’ve heard one from Burg and two from Notre Dame. Unfortunately for Northwest though, probably will see some other kids start looking around after a kid like Lintz leaves.*

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:59 pm

I stand corrected, and frankly, winning three golf state titles is quite impressive. Schools in SEO rarely stand a chance in golf.

True, football is the king sport in the area, but for the kids, that’s not always the case at Burg. They have a good soccer program (Ironton hasn’t had one) that takes boys away from football. Also, some of their best athletes never played football; or only played in their younger days. Baseball, for close to 30 years, has been the biggest sport for boys. Why? Because kids from Burg are not going to the NFL, but a number have played professional baseball. Plus, better scholarship opportunities.

But even given all of that, Burg is still that last team in the area to win a state title. And true, Ironton has had Burg’s number of late, but Ironton’s program is highly dependent on getting transfers while Burg’s is not. Can Pendleton keep up that pace? And more importantly for Ironton, can he figure out how to win a state title? Last year was his best chance (a loaded team, strong senior class, no Kirtland, no MAC school to play) may not get a chance like that again for a while.
This post has to contain the SEOPs record for excuses in one post. What a disappointment. For a second I thought you might have a chance. But you roll around in mediocrity the way a dog rolls around on a dead possum. Both get up and act so proud of themselves. And yet they both stink.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Howard Cosell wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:07 am

This post has to contain the SEOPs record for excuses in one post. What a disappointment. For a second I thought you might have a chance. But you roll around in mediocrity the way a dog rolls around on a dead possum. Both get up and act so proud of themselves. And yet they both stink.
Excuses for what? Burg still has the fourth winningest football program in the state and has actually won a state football championship recently.

Ironton football seems to be rolling around in mediocrity, always proud of being #2 despite all of the talent. Maybe need to up the recruiting game?

Seriously, how much of a talent advantage does Ironton need to actually win that last game? Obviously 10 kids with scholarship offers in one class (and the three best players in D5) isn’t enough.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:24 am

Excuses for what? Burg still has the fourth winningest football program in the state and has actually won a state football championship recently.

Ironton football seems to be rolling around in mediocrity, always proud of being #2 despite all of the talent. Maybe need to up the recruiting game?

Seriously, how much of a talent advantage does Ironton need to actually win that last game? Obviously 10 kids with scholarship offers in one class (and the three best players in D5) isn’t enough.
I now see that you’re angry about Ironton’s talent advantage as well as your disdain for the coach. Not to mention that Ironton has been to three recent state finals and Trimble once since your team has. No wonder you are so hateful and angry. Have you thought about entering the Tiger/Tomcat haters anonymous thread. I think it would help you.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:19 am
RBH23 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:24 am

I now see that you’re angry about Ironton’s talent advantage as well as your disdain for the coach. Not to mention that Ironton has been to three recent state finals and Trimble once since your team has. No wonder you are so hateful and angry. Have you thought about entering the Tiger/Tomcat haters anonymous thread. I think it would help you.
Anger of their talent? That’s what you took from that? 🤦‍♂️

I’m asking a serious question. For Ironton to have the talent they’ve had over the past 5+ years and not produce a state title is an issue. Even worse, they got thumped the past two state games even with the talent advantage. Something obviously needs corrected.

As for you trying to ride the coattails of Ironton, this is just embarrassing. Putting Trimble on the same level as Ironton, or even Wheelersburg, is truly a joke. Hell, didn’t even know that Trimble was actually a school until yesterday.

Now back to the kiddie table for you…

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:51 pm
The Lintz kid from Northwest is a huge get if that’s true. Also, you mention kids from across the river. Do you mean Ashland? I thought we already did get 2 last year, is that what you mean?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

irontonwizard wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:03 am
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:51 pm
The Lintz kid from Northwest is a huge get if that’s true. Also, you mention kids from across the river. Do you mean Ashland? I thought we already did get 2 last year, is that what you mean?
No, not Ashland, sent you a pm

The Recievers should be pretty good, Thacker should have plenty of targets this year. Pittman just received a 3 star rating from 247Sports.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Doesn't matter how much talent Ironton or any other seo team recruits statistically their chance of winning the state are miniscule . Just can't compete with teams north of i70.. games I have seen they get dominated on the line of scrimmage

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

gobucs20 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:07 pm Doesn't matter how much talent Ironton or any other seo team recruits statistically their chance of winning the state are miniscule . Just can't compete with teams north of i70.. games I have seen they get dominated on the line of scrimmage
You are right sir. No one can argue with that at all. I’m just a fan and not a coach, but one of our biggest issues is we have too many coaches on the sidelines and in our program. Think we would be better off with 8-10 coaches at the most. Just my opinion.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

gobucs20 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:07 pm Doesn't matter how much talent Ironton or any other seo team recruits statistically their chance of winning the state are miniscule . Just can't compete with teams north of i70.. games I have seen they get dominated on the line of scrimmage
Definitely have to win the line of scrimmage, but that begs the question, why is Ironton getting beat in that area? They have talented kids there as well.

Also did you watch Hoban’s Lamar Sperling? He single-handedly almost won Hoban the state title. Based on player rankings, Ironton had three “Sperling level players” on the team (Keyes, Carter, and Perkins), and Ironton wasn’t up against Toledo CC. I would have expected the Ironton players to look that dominating given the college recruiting status.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

RBH23, a few thoughts... *Funny you mention the fact that Ironton was fortunate in playing a team not named Kirtland or from the MAC. The burg had that same good fortune in 2017. I don't think you guys would've beaten Kirtland or a MAC school that year. Just my opinion...
*We dominated the burg before all these transfers came in. The series record would be even more lopsided had the burg not avoided us in the mid to late 80s. Also, again, does the burg do it with burg kids ? The answer is largely no. You have had numerous kids from neighboring districts over the years. And we still are churning out lots of Ironton born & bred talent - Carpenter, Barnes, Duncan, Carter, etc.
*As for Pendleton losing with all this talent, I won't attempt to explain that away. No doubt we look outcoached in the biggest games. Heck, your staff would have won a couple with our talent.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:27 pm RBH23, a few thoughts... *Funny you mention the fact that Ironton was fortunate in playing a team not named Kirtland or from the MAC. The burg had that same good fortune in 2017. I don't think you guys would've beaten Kirtland or a MAC school that year. Just my opinion...
*We dominated the burg before all these transfers came in. The series record would be even more lopsided had the burg not avoided us in the mid to late 80s. Also, again, does the burg do it with burg kids ? The answer is largely no. You have had numerous kids from neighboring districts over the years. And we still are churning out lots of Ironton born & bred talent - Carpenter, Barnes, Duncan, Carter, etc.
*As for Pendleton losing with all this talent, I won't attempt to explain that away. No doubt we look outcoached in the biggest games. Heck, your staff would have won a couple with our talent.
Avoiding Ironton in the 80s was probably a smart move by the burg. Ironton a much bigger school at the time. Different divisions. Different era of football

But since 2000, Ironton has a 14-11 advantage. That’s far from dominant especially when you look at the scores of those games. Very few have been lopsided.

Pendleton is 3-2 against burg with multiple transfers that helped that talent you mentioned. It’s hard for me to be impressed by winning with multiple players. But Pendleton may just be ahead of what’s to come. A day of open portal. Which I definitely ain’t a fan.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:27 pm RBH23, a few thoughts... *Funny you mention the fact that Ironton was fortunate in playing a team not named Kirtland or from the MAC. The burg had that same good fortune in 2017. I don't think you guys would've beaten Kirtland or a MAC school that year. Just my opinion...
Burg did take advantage of not having to face ML, Coldwater, and Kirtland; even thought they could have beaten two of the three. ML was ranked #11 regardless of school size. Outside of CAPE, that ML team is the best small school team in Ohio history. Ironton had their shot last year. Going to be tough getting past Coldwater going forward, and even worse if Ironton goes up to D4.

In the mid 80’s, Ironton was a bigger school. Many years they were even D3; they were better than Burg in those years. Games would have been competitive, but Ironton had a numbers advantage. Only since around 2000 has this series turned competitive. Ironton has gotten smaller, Burg has stayed about the same.

As for Burg kids, the answer is yes, that’s who Burg wins with. In their two state championships they had a whopping one transfer. Burg rarely gets transfers, and for most of their success, Burg even had closed borders. It’s a myth Burg wins with transfers.

The neighboring districts thing only started happening once the borders opened in the late 90’s. But many people moving into those border areas were adults that went to Burg but wanted more land, cheaper housing, newer homes, etc. If not for the open borders, these families would have paid more and moved into town. Many of the houses in those areas would never have been built; no offense to Green, but few people are going to drop $500k to live in Patriot Ridge and send their kids to Green. Hell, one of the Miller family members lives in a “border” house. To say that’s not a Burg kid is silly.

Plus, the biggest driver of wanting to go to Burg is not football, it’s academics. For example: my wife’s sister went to Minford. Once she married and started a family, moved into Burg for the academics (son doesn’t play sports). Her niece also moved into Burg after graduating from Minford (her young daughters want to be cheerleaders). Burg has really good schools…

Finally, as for talent, Ironton has always had better talent and will most likely continue that into the future. But talent in football is not the key to Burg’s success; very strong culture (passed down from generation to generation) that’s hard to replicate.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

The size differential wasn't that great...I believe one division separated the two. We played schools slightly larger than us - always have. No way burg should've avoided us.
Also, burgers tend to underestimate the negative impact of the regime after Lutz. It was a sudden and drastic drop-off.
My hope is that Pendleton gets better with age in regard to coaching.
You guys have a great staff...always seem to improve throughout the season, like we used to under Lutz.

And we'll simply never agree about kids from neighboring districts being "burg kids". I see it as rationalizing when you say they're burg kids because of this or that. By definition, they're not. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Return to “Football”