Fixing Regions 23 and 27

Lucky Charms
Freshman Team

Fixing Regions 23 and 27

Post by Lucky Charms »

I have been watching football a lot over the years. It seems to me that these two regions are the absolute worst in the state. My question for discussion is how do we improve these regions so that a school from SEO may actually be able to make a serious run at at a title? Why are our athletes so poor in comparison? Why does our coaching suck so much? Or is it some other problem.

TomcatFootball11
Freshman Team

Re: Fixing Regions 23 and 27

Post by TomcatFootball11 »

Lucky Charms wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 am I have been watching football a lot over the years. It seems to me that these two regions are the absolute worst in the state. My question for discussion is how do we improve these regions so that a school from SEO may actually be able to make a serious run at at a title? Why are our athletes so poor in comparison? Why does our coaching suck so much? Or is it some other problem.
I don't think it's a athlete problem or coaching in most cases. I think most years our good teams from down here run into a buzz saw. As Fort Frye did against Kirtland last week, and how we did in 2014 vs Norwalk St. Paul. I think if we want a school to get a serious title run, they need to toughen their schedule up, like Fort Frye did (mad respect to the Cadets for that too). Tougher schedules imo help kids in tight game situations, so they learn their mistakes the first time and not make those same mistakes a 2nd time.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Besides Marion Local, no one D5-D7 is on Kirtland’s level. D5 is just two schools that can’t beat Kirtland

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

TomcatFootball11 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:05 am
Lucky Charms wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 am I have been watching football a lot over the years. It seems to me that these two regions are the absolute worst in the state. My question for discussion is how do we improve these regions so that a school from SEO may actually be able to make a serious run at at a title? Why are our athletes so poor in comparison? Why does our coaching suck so much? Or is it some other problem.
I don't think it's a athlete problem or coaching in most cases. I think most years our good teams from down here run into a buzz saw. As Fort Frye did against Kirtland last week, and how we did in 2014 vs Norwalk St. Paul. I think if we want a school to get a serious title run, they need to toughen their schedule up, like Fort Frye did (mad respect to the Cadets for that too). Tougher schedules imo help kids in tight game situations, so they learn their mistakes the first time and not make those same mistakes a 2nd time.
That schedule didn’t get them any further in the playoffs than before. And they got housed. Not sure that’s the answer. Same thing with Trimble and NY when they made runs in the past. They got housed.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Alas, what we forget about FF/schedules was FF had three straight years of terrible regular season schedules (2015, 2016, 2017) and they kept getting bounced early or in blowout fashion within the region. FF has since improved the schedule, and they have three regional titles in the last five years.

TomcatFootball11
Freshman Team

Post by TomcatFootball11 »

Pat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:09 pm
TomcatFootball11 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:05 am
That schedule didn’t get them any further in the playoffs than before. And they got housed. Not sure that’s the answer. Same thing with Trimble and NY when they made runs in the past. They got housed.
It's not gonna work overnight. Fort Frye has started to payoff but they run into the Kirtland's of the world. Any other year they don't I think they have a good shot at winning state. I think another problem here though is participation numbers. No one wants to play football it seems like, and when kids do, they quit halfway through the year. I think we had 7-8 kids quit this year.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

As someone else said, the top teams in our area can compete with anyone else in the state, aside from Kirtland and Marion Local. (Obviously Im only looking at D6 and D7). I think if you put Fort Frye against any other team in D6 besides those two and they compete if not win. Those two teams are just that much better. Versailes might be the next closest to them. Participation is probably the biggest difference. And when I say participation I just don’t mean 50 to 70 kids playing, but that many kids being dedicated to weight room and training year around.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:35 pm As someone else said, the top teams in our area can compete with anyone else in the state, aside from Kirtland and Marion Local. (Obviously Im only looking at D6 and D7). I think if you put Fort Frye against any other team in D6 besides those two and they compete if not win. Those two teams are just that much better. Versailes might be the next closest to them. Participation is probably the biggest difference. And when I say participation I just don’t mean 50 to 70 kids playing, but that many kids being dedicated to weight room and training year around.
Not sure about competing “with anyone else in the state.” NC dominated everyone else in 27 and got thumped by JFK. If ML beats Kirtland then I have to believe Columbus Grove would beat Fort Frye. Other than NC how many teams in either of those regions have won a title or even played a close game in a title game?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye was 3 yards from state title game in 2020 vs Springfield. Kirtland and Marion Local are just really good.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

In their regional final, Kirtland beat undefeated #2 seed Mogadore 30-0. I think they're not a good team to build a discussion around. I don't know how they've managed to make themselves such outliers, but I wouldn't even use them as a point for discussion. If you would see them . . . I don't think scheduling is the difference maker.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Scheduling better opponents has paid off for FF. Yeah, they ran into Kirtland. I don’t know if there’s a right or wrong answer to how a team from either 23 or 27 can get over the hump. Obviously having a bunch of kids who want to play and work hard all year long is a start. I’d love to see a team from our neck of the woods bring home the trophy.

A lot of the teams in our area are in a conference. That can limit the amount of OOC teams they play. The OVC for example has 8 teams. That means only 3 OOC games for each school. So I really don’t know what the answer is other than to keep pushing and make it to the State finals.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Binary wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 pm
Sportsfan01 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:35 pm As someone else said, the top teams in our area can compete with anyone else in the state, aside from Kirtland and Marion Local. (Obviously Im only looking at D6 and D7). I think if you put Fort Frye against any other team in D6 besides those two and they compete if not win. Those two teams are just that much better. Versailes might be the next closest to them. Participation is probably the biggest difference. And when I say participation I just don’t mean 50 to 70 kids playing, but that many kids being dedicated to weight room and training year around.
Not sure about competing “with anyone else in the state.” NC dominated everyone else in 27 and got thumped by JFK. If ML beats Kirtland then I have to believe Columbus Grove would beat Fort Frye. Other than NC how many teams in either of those regions have won a title or even played a close game in a title game?
I fully believe they can compete with anyone else in the state. That doesn’t mean they win, but they would be competitive. But to add some perspective here, currently Drew Pastuer and Calpreps both show Marion Local as being the best team in Divisions 3-7. Cal preps would have them favored in any of those divisions state title game. Kirtland is not far behind with only, I believe South Range, and Glenville favored over them.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

The thing is Fort has 30-40 players a year most kids playing both ways. Teams like Marion Local and Kirtland have 70-80 with 1-2 kids playing both ways. It’s just so hard to compete with those kinda numbers.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:28 pm The thing is Fort has 30-40 players a year most kids playing both ways. Teams like Marion Local and Kirtland have 70-80 with 1-2 kids playing both ways. It’s just so hard to compete with those kinda numbers.
I don’t know about Kirtland, but last year Marion Local had nine (9) kids start both ways and a 10th kid played about half of the game’s snaps on both sides. I presume it’s a similar case this year for the Flyers.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:28 pm The thing is Fort has 30-40 players a year most kids playing both ways. Teams like Marion Local and Kirtland have 70-80 with 1-2 kids playing both ways. It’s just so hard to compete with those kinda numbers.
I don’t know about Kirtland, but last year Marion Local had nine (9) kids start both ways and a 10th kid played about half of the game’s snaps on both sides. I presume it’s a similar case this year for the Flyers.
How many players do they have?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:34 pm
The hell does that have to do with what I just said?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:37 pm

Beverly fans are just trying to come up with excuses.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

No excuses just wondering how many rostered players they have ? I assume the younger kids play a ton in blowouts. That is huge.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Dundas wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:47 pm

Beverly fans are just trying to come up with excuses.
No excuses we got our butts kicked.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Have to get the numbers up and then it is up to the coaching staff to utilize more than 15 or 16 players, so the bigger rosters stay intact.
After getting the roster stable then I believe you have to upgrade the schedule. Stop playing soft schools nearby and expand your travel and play better teams. I also believe you have to get the younger kids playing at the lower levels.

Return to “Football”