Wheelersburg 2023

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg 2023

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:29 pm
fbnut wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:25 pm
Blitz wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:40 pm

I think we will be just fine next year BUT this is probably the Dumbest comment you have ever posted on this site I mean 90% REALLY???
Probably lost about 90% of offensive production. I think they will be ok though. Should be able to run the offense they like running
Offensively lost:
Quarterback
Both Running Backs
Tight End
Only Legitimate Playmaker (Lattimore)
Both Guards

But they return 90%?

With their schedule they could be looking at a long year
Right now it seems to be a comprehension error to some of the readers. I said “overall production” not offensive production. I thought when I explained that they will have to replace their skill set, it would of been clear.

But I promise this team is returning a lot of players that were very instrumental in their wins. And will be very good.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

I think we will be just fine next year BUT this is probably the Dumbest comment you have ever posted on this site I mean 90% REALLY???
Probably lost about 90% of offensive production. I think they will be ok though. Should be able to run the offense they like running
Offensively lost:
Quarterback
Both Running Backs
Tight End
Both Guards

But they return 90%?

If only I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard that about Burg football…

Burg went to state semis in 1991; graduated 10 of 11 offensive starters off that team, and Ed Miller retired. Many were saying Burg football was over! Team went 9-1 the following year, and Burg went on to win the SOC every year from 1992-1999.

A 9-0 Burg team was upset by Portsmouth in the early 90’s, knocking Burg out of the playoffs. A player on that Portsmouth team told me that Burg’s reign was over and that Burg would struggle to beat Portsmouth ever again. That prediction didn’t age well.

When Burg lost the SOC three years in a row, all the talk was how Burg was no longer good at football and was now a baseball school. Another false claim.

And how many times was Burg expected to lose to a high powered Waverly team, only to see Burg pull out a win? That sums up nearly every game between the two teams from the late 80’s through the early 90’s.

Burg has had only one losing season in over 50 years, and in that one losing season, 5-5 Burg still made the playoffs! This success is no accident.

Sure, Burg has a tough out of conference schedule again next year; that’s become the norm. However, they will be just fine and will once again be the favorite to win the SOC.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:50 pm
Offensively lost:
Quarterback
Both Running Backs
Tight End
Both Guards

But they return 90%?

Right now it seems to be a comprehension error to some of the readers. I said “overall production” not offensive production. I thought when I explained that they will have to replace their skill set, it would of been clear.

But I promise this team is returning a lot of players that were very instrumental in their wins. And will be very good.
And I said offensive production not overall. When I say production I mean yardage and tds

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Offensively lost:
Quarterback
Both Running Backs
Tight End
Both Guards

But they return 90%?

And I said offensive production not overall. When I say production I mean yardage and tds
Yeah I got you but white still doesn’t.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:41 pm

Opponents were game planning to stop 2, 8, 18, 24, and 32. Those were the best players on the team and they graduated. You fill that with role players and untested sophomores.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Opponents were game planning to stop 2, 8, 18, 24, and 32. Those were the best players on the team and they graduated. You fill that with role players and untested sophomores.
You conveniently forgot Creed Warren, the best all-around offensive player on the team!

If Burg would have played zero seniors this year, they still would have had the largest team (by # of players) in the SOC. And still would have finished second in the conference losing only to West (who is losing their most important offensive players).

So as I said before, Burg will be just fine in the SOC.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I agree with you from my original post. Right now it’s a mystery outside of warren. But they have a junior class that has seen a lot of action. About every junior has contributed in one way or another significantly in the last two years.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

We may as well just go ahead and go out and do the best we can anyways…😂

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Warren and Darling will be fine in the backfield. Glover will be the biggest loss, Eric was tremendous but his spot is replicable, Derrick was only a impact in a handful of games. We always have playmakers step up when the underclassmen become upperclassmen.

WR's will be Evans and McGraw neither of whom will have any issues.

Really feel like we'll go as far as Rucker will take us -- gonna be asked to do a lot as a sophomore.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:57 am Warren and Darling will be fine in the backfield. Glover will be the biggest loss, Eric was tremendous but his spot is replicable, Derrick was only a impact in a handful of games. We always have playmakers step up when the underclassmen become upperclassmen.

Really feel like we'll go as far as Rucker will take us -- gonna be asked to do a lot as a sophomore.
Agree. Unfortunately no gimmes to open the season for Rucker. Will have to grow and develop quickly.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:30 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:57 am Warren and Darling will be fine in the backfield. Glover will be the biggest loss, Eric was tremendous but his spot is replicable, Derrick was only a impact in a handful of games. We always have playmakers step up when the underclassmen become upperclassmen.

Agree. Unfortunately no gimmes to open the season for Rucker. Will have to grow and develop quickly.
Schedule is funky this year playing 6 conference games and 4 non-conf.
League games vs NW and Valley weeks 4 & 5 should give him time to settle in before playing HP and top tier SOC talent. First 3 weeks definitely brutal tho.

Week 1 @Ironton
Week 2 McNicholas
Week 3 @Jackson
Week 4 NW
Week 5 @Valley
Week 6 HP
Week 7 @Oak Hill
Week 8 Waverly
Week 9 @Minford
Week 10West

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:03 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:02 pm About 90% of burgs overall production were juniors last year. So they should come in with plenty of experience but offensive skill will be a mystery as of now. The seniors and juniors have a few skilled players that will do well. As their turn will be up. Thin at QB. Looks like the sophomore will be the one that will take over.
Well when I use the word “overall”, I mean it. I look at football from the entire lens, defense, and offensive line to special teams. Not who necessarily who has the ball in their hands at the time of scoring. Appreciate the comment though. I mean if you really read the post, comprehension has to come into play.
yeah so do I that is why I called you out.

O-line - Miller, Stanley & Blackburn - all received awards and we ran behind or pulled with them 95% of the time.
D-line - Stanley 52 tackles(4th on team) & 12.5 TFL(lead team) & Blackburn 29 tackles & 6 TFL 9 (Both were CO- D line of the year)
LB's - Glover 70 tackles(2nd on team) & 3.5 TFL & Arthur 60 tackles(3rd on team) (Glover MVP & Arthur CO d back)

Glover, Arthur, Stanley & Blackburn were all 2 way players. All but Blackburn played 95% of the snaps all season and he played 80% ( all on SP teams)

We will be fine next year. Defense will take a step back losing those four players no doubt(2nd, 3rd & 4th leading tacklers). Running game will be different won't be able to pound the ball. Those 3 lineman were road graders huge shoes to fill. RPO's will help that a ton. Overall the passing game will be much improved and will go back to the spread to run the ball.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Blitz wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:13 am
wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:03 pm

Well when I use the word “overall”, I mean it. I look at football from the entire lens, defense, and offensive line to special teams. Not who necessarily who has the ball in their hands at the time of scoring. Appreciate the comment though. I mean if you really read the post, comprehension has to come into play.
yeah so do I that is why I called you out.

O-line - Miller, Stanley & Blackburn - all received awards and we ran behind or pulled with them 95% of the time.
D-line - Stanley 52 tackles(4th on team) & 12.5 TFL(lead team) & Blackburn 29 tackles & 6 TFL 9 (Both were CO- D line of the year)
LB's - Glover 70 tackles(2nd on team) & 3.5 TFL & Arthur 60 tackles(3rd on team) (Glover MVP & Arthur CO d back)

Glover, Arthur, Stanley & Blackburn were all 2 way players. All but Blackburn played 95% of the snaps all season and he played 80% ( all on SP teams)

We will be fine next year. Defense will take a step back losing those four players no doubt(2nd, 3rd & 4th leading tacklers). Running game will be different won't be able to pound the ball. Those 3 lineman were road graders huge shoes to fill. RPO's will help that a ton. Overall the passing game will be much improved and will go back to the spread to run the ball.
You forgot Lattimore, him and blackburn and Glover
, were probably the only ones that rarely came off the field when you include all special teams.

Every team has stats, they will have them again next year. And yes departing seniors always have to be replaced. But a lot of last years team either started or saw significant playing time, which helped in the production of wins. Maybe I should of used experience but either way they will have a bunch to work with. Which was my point.

Now the year after next, I don’t see much experience coming in to that year, except for the skill, which is something I pointed out in my original post.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

I didn't forget Lattimore just left out all the skill positions "ball in hands". You specifically pointed to "overall lens" Oline, Dline and sp teams so i showed you actual production values lost. It's ok you don't need to justify the 90% comment... it was an ignorant statement just own it and move on. Burg will win the SOC and make noise in the off season. just like always!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Blitz wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:43 pm I didn't forget Lattimore just left out all the skill positions "ball in hands". You specifically pointed to "overall lens" Oline, Dline and sp teams so i showed you actual production values lost. It's ok you don't need to justify the 90% comment... it was an ignorant statement just own it and move on. Burg will win the SOC and make noise in the off season. just like always!!!
Good grief. It was a figure of speech dude. We have a lot of “overall” experience coming back. Sorry I put a number on it, it wasn’t supposed to be literal. Just a number that indicates something. You know like when some one says a person is about 50% healthy. It doesn’t literally mean they are exactly 50%. I stand by my statement, take it as you want.

Our production offensively and defensively should be just as good as past season. I don’t think we take a step back. Some on here have stated that we will, I don’t agree because we are getting a lot of players with experience returning. Which was the entire point of my original post.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Best case I see Wheelersburg as being the same level of this years team, worst case not quite as good.

7-3 or 8-2

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:09 pm Best case I see Wheelersburg as being the same level of this years team, worst case not quite as good.

7-3 or 8-2
Sounds about right. I see them splitting the four tough out of conference games and going undefeated in the SOC.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:09 pm Best case I see Wheelersburg as being the same level of this years team, worst case not quite as good.

7-3 or 8-2
Finish 8-2 with that schedule would be impressive

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

You’re being generous, teams didn’t game plan for all those kids

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:20 pm

You’re being generous, teams didn’t game plan for all those kids
Here’s the game plan opposing D’s implemented: stack the box, slow down the run, and make Burg beat you in the air. Teams that were able to do that beat Burg, the others got thumped.

Next year’s Burg team will be more balanced on offense. Defensives will have to respect the passing game.

Return to “Football”