Round 3- #5. Portsmouth West (11-1) Vs # 1. Ironton (12-0)

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

Re: Round 3- #5. Portsmouth West (11-1) Vs # 1. Ironton (12-0)

Post by HumbleAndHungry »

Pinwheel wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:51 pm
irontonwizard wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:32 pm
XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:46 am Pick any HS coach in Ohio first 5 years as a HC. I bet Pendelton resume stands up with anyone. Even the legend Coach Lutz. Pendelton first 5 years to date is better.

Just saw a post on Facebook.

Youngest Head coach to coach State Championship game

2 State championship appearances
2 regional championships
4 conference titles
1 AP State championship

53 wins.
I agree that his resume is impressive, but you love tooting his horn a little too much and it’s a little weird. Just saying…
Go Tigers
😂 Tooting 😂 he does toot a lot of 😂
My Grandma always said,”it’s a poor 🐸 that won’t praise his own pond!” 😉

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Ironton has a social media team that does videos and highlight tapes and these postings. I do not believe Coach P is doing the posting. He barely uses his own personal page. He doesn’t come across as a social media kind of guy.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

GoBigI wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 pm Tigers’ defense way too much in this one. Sissel is a decent back but Ironton has seen several better backs already this year which helped prepare them for this one. Next week will be a very tough matchup with a talented Harvest Prep team that Ironton played in a 7 on 7 this past summer. All 8 teams left in DV could win the state championship. It’s a matter of who executes best and makes the least mistakes from this point forward.
Decent back lol. That kid is a stud and I would take him over any other “D1” commit on Irontons team besides Perkins and that’s apples to oranges

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

frankie wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:45 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:06 pm Ironton fans very happy to hear Burg score over the PA. I guess they don’t want to play the Pirates?
Ironton definitely wanted Burg next, why wouldn't they? Look what happened to West who recently beat Burg. This isn't the Ironton team with an injured WR filling in at QB like last year. Coldwater, the favorite to win D5, lost their starting QB and got ousted Friday.

Read on here all week how tough and physical West is and many picked them to upset Ironton. What I saw tonight was a slow, non-physical team lacking skill players. Take away the bad pass Carpenter threw for that interception and Tigers shutout West. The game was never in doubt.

If Ironton keeps the penalties down they are a tough out for the rest of the playoffs. Win or lose we are proud of the Tigers!

Congrats to West on a fine season.

Keep rollin' Tigers!!!
[/quoteyo

You have got to be kidding me lol. Who said from real West fans or even football fans outside of trolls that West is suppose to beat Ironton? If that’s what you want to think then whatever makes you happy. I was impressed with IRONTONS qb more than anything. Not taking away from their defense because they are tough. But we had opportunities down the field that all season our QB and Wrs have brought those balls in. Sissel ran hard but if we start catching a few of those, the 9 in the box are forced to move out. We shut down alot of the tub game but burnt coverage was the issue. Our DV laying on the ground makes easy Touchdowns. Not saying we win the game but it gets more interesting.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:54 am Since game is over, what player for west couldn’t play in the game? Just curious if that was something Ironton was attacking
#2 mason parker. Kid is a freak athlete with high intelligence and is involved where the ball is at every play. Freshmen started in his spot. And did a great job. That kid has potential to be another Ryan Sissel

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

We all knew it would take an almost perfect game to pull it off last night and unfortunately that did not happen. Stalled drives, a few penalties and missed balls that are uncharacteristic did not land our way. We did a pretty good job stopping the run. I was more impressed with Carpenter than anything. Perkins (Valley) is as advertised. Irontons defense is good not great. They made plays when they needed them. I think drew Pasteur had us at 12 percent chance to win and we knew what we was against. But we also knew these boys could play. I know one thing. If you take take 22 West Side boys vs 22 Ironton boys it’s not a game. You take West Side boys against Ironton plus Mississippi, Huntington, Ashland X2, Valley, Minford, Northwest, Rock Hill etc we lose 35-7.

Want to recognize and thank this group and coaches for what they accomplished this year. 11 consecutive wins, undefeated at home, beating your rival, an SOC championship, and 2 playoff wins. You will forever be recognized in our tradition rich football community for what you have done to revitalize a winning culture that has been dormant for a while. Special shout out to all the Seniors for what you brought to the table. Once a Sider always a Sider

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

Post by ROCH HILL PRIDE! »

Just curious as I made an observation at this game, why does #5 not get more carries? I'm sure they have their reasons but I couldn't help but notice what a strong runner the kid is. It's a head scratcher to me.

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

#5 for who?

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:08 am #5 for who?
Ironton.

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

He been nicked up all year from what I hear and they prolly saving him for a 20-25 carries/game rest of the way.*

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 am He been nicked up all year from what I hear and they prolly saving him for a 20-25 carries/game rest of the way.*
Gotcha, that makes sense. Must be nice to have that many horses in the stable.

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

I wonder if another reason they run less than expected has been to prepare their passing game for a deep run. Ironton knew they were likely going to make a deep run with their incredibly talented roster, so why not give your QB as much experience as possible while you're still playing easier competition. Specially with QB1 missing some time over past two seasons. Giving him more of a chance to grow as a player, gain more confidence, all that.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:19 pm We all knew it would take an almost perfect game to pull it off last night and unfortunately that did not happen. Stalled drives, a few penalties and missed balls that are uncharacteristic did not land our way. We did a pretty good job stopping the run. I was more impressed with Carpenter than anything. Perkins (Valley) is as advertised. Irontons defense is good not great. They made plays when they needed them. I think drew Pasteur had us at 12 percent chance to win and we knew what we was against. But we also knew these boys could play. I know one thing. If you take take 22 West Side boys vs 22 Ironton boys it’s not a game. You take West Side boys against Ironton plus Mississippi, Huntington, Ashland X2, Valley, Minford, Northwest, Rock Hill etc we lose 35-7.

Want to recognize and thank this group and coaches for what they accomplished this year. 11 consecutive wins, undefeated at home, beating your rival, an SOC championship, and 2 playoff wins. You will forever be recognized in our tradition rich football community for what you have done to revitalize a winning culture that has been dormant for a while. Special shout out to all the Seniors for what you brought to the table. Once a Sider always a Sider
Ironton kids still beat west IMO. I’ll take Ironton’s coaching staff over wests any day of the week. Ironton’s “Home grown”
QB Carpenter, WR/DB Young, WR/DB Martin, Wilson CB/Slot, WR/LB Schreck, RB/LB Carter, TE/LB Barnes, LB/FB Williams, OL/DT Gossett, OL/DT Layne, OL/DL Bump, That’s 11 and I’m sure I could add more kids that have started this year. This Ironton senior group was phenomenal from peewee to HS without any transfers

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Bfan99 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:43 am
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:19 pm We all knew it would take an almost perfect game to pull it off last night and unfortunately that did not happen. Stalled drives, a few penalties and missed balls that are uncharacteristic did not land our way. We did a pretty good job stopping the run. I was more impressed with Carpenter than anything. Perkins (Valley) is as advertised. Irontons defense is good not great. They made plays when they needed them. I think drew Pasteur had us at 12 percent chance to win and we knew what we was against. But we also knew these boys could play. I know one thing. If you take take 22 West Side boys vs 22 Ironton boys it’s not a game. You take West Side boys against Ironton plus Mississippi, Huntington, Ashland X2, Valley, Minford, Northwest, Rock Hill etc we lose 35-7.

Ironton kids still beat west IMO. I’ll take Ironton’s coaching staff over wests any day of the week. Ironton’s “Home grown”
QB Carpenter, WR/DB Young, WR/DB Martin, Wilson CB/Slot, WR/LB Schreck, RB/LB Carter, TE/LB Barnes, LB/FB Williams, OL/DT Gossett, OL/DT Layne, OL/DL Bump, That’s 11 and I’m sure I could add more kids that have started this year. This Ironton senior group was phenomenal from peewee to HS without any transfers
The West seniors beat Ironton in Peewee. Never played in Junior High.
The West Juniors beat Ironton bad in Junior High.

You take #3, 5, 7 off that team and you may not win your own Conference much less this game.

Hats off to Perkins. He’s absolutely legit and was the difference. Probably should have tried to press him more with help over the top but that’s water under the bridge.

Carpenter was impressive and he’s a first class kid from a first class family. The kind you root for.

West couldn’t get the passing game going. As the other poster said it’s hard to run with 9 in the box ready to stop the run. If any of the Ironton backs ran against that they wouldn’t get a lot of yards either.

So proud of the West kids. They played to the end. It was a joy watching you play. You changed the culture and done things the right way. They made West Football relevant again and probably saved it in a low point when kids and coaches were jumping ship.

#23 will go down as one of the best to ever play at West. He really is a Beast on the Field and First Class off of it. Whatever College Team gets him will be getting a Gem.

West returns a lot of players next year and can be right back here again if they have the kind of offseason they had this year. Coaching Staff is young. They will learn what works and what they need to improve on. They can now reach into those experiences and work backwards on where you need to be and what you need to do to win at this level. There is no substitute for experience

Good Luck to Ironton moving forward. Win the State

sportphotos
JV Team

Post by sportphotos »

Congrats Portsmouth West on a outstanding season and SOC2 Champions🏈🌟https://bobbiannphotos.smugmug.com/Foot ... fs-Round-3

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:46 am Pick any HS coach in Ohio first 5 years as a HC. I bet Pendelton resume stands up with anyone. Even the legend Coach Lutz. Pendelton first 5 years to date is better.

Just saw a post on Facebook.

Youngest Head coach to coach State Championship game

2 State championship appearances
2 regional championships
4 conference titles
1 AP State championship

53 wins.
I agree that his resume is impressive, but you love tooting his horn a little too much and it’s a little weird. Just saying…
Go Tigers
Way to go sidekick. Hahaha

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

irontonwizard wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:08 pm

Go Tigers
Way to go sidekick. Hahaha

The Pinhead wizard strikes again!

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Congratulations on a fine season!

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

“BeST oLine In tHe REgiOn”
frankie wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:23 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:06 am
art_vandelay wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:56 am

Heard it was their safety (#2) who is a sophomore.*
Ok thanks. Not sure if that hurt them or not. Stinks he couldn’t of been out there.
Didn't matter who played for West last night. Ironton attacked West where ever they wanted. West fans who posted they have a physical team
found out they don't.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

CrackBack46 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:35 am “BeST oLine In tHe REgiOn”
frankie wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:23 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:06 am

Ok thanks. Not sure if that hurt them or not. Stinks he couldn’t of been out there.
Didn't matter who played for West last night. Ironton attacked West where ever they wanted. West fans who posted they have a physical team
found out they don't.
Who claimed that West had the best line in the region?

Return to “Football”