Ironton 48 - 7 Portsmouth 2022 Playoffs

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Round 2 Portsmouth @ Ironton

Post by greygoose »

So back to back years where they've played in week 10 and turned around and had to play again in the playoffs. Last season Portsmouth really closed the gap between the 2 games, this year I think it'll be more in line with what happened in game 1. Ironton takes this one by 28.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

I think Ironton wins big ,but Like always you still have to play the game.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Pinwheel wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:54 pm I think Ironton wins big ,but Like always you still have to play the game.
Totally agree

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Like Dave pointed out earlier, it was 14-0 with Portsmouth in the red zone in the latter part of the second quarter. Portsmouth punches that in and it’s a ballgame. They don’t, Ironton makes some outstanding individual plays, and it’s lights out at halftime.

I expect much the same in Week 12. If Portsmouth makes the outstanding individual plays, they can hang. If Ironton does, it’s a blowout.

As it is, I’d expect a comfortable Ironton win, with a running clock by the mid 4th.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Defensive and special teams TDs have came up big for Portsmouth a few times this season, feel like they're gonna need another one to have a chance against Ironton. No matter how well Trojans play offensively, Ironton's defense will only allow so much.

Anderson83
Waterboy

Post by Anderson83 »

This "look at last year" comment about the second game being close, you also have to look that Ironton had if I'm remembering correctly some key injuries the second game they wasn't dealing with the first. Mainly qb1 and a D1 defense end/tightend and a freshman making only his second start at qb. Play the hand your given, but you may only be seeing the RB out this week. This is not "last year"

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

A very tall task to say the least for the Trojans in being able to beat the Tigers. No doubt the Tigers will probably take care of business and advance to the Regional Semifinals. Hope for a more competitive game this go around, as well as an injury free game for both teams.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Anderson83 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:49 pm This "look at last year" comment about the second game being close, you also have to look that Ironton had if I'm remembering correctly some key injuries the second game they wasn't dealing with the first. Mainly qb1 and a D1 defense end/tightend and a freshman making only his second start at qb. Play the hand your given, but you may only be seeing the RB out this week. This is not "last year"

Been said before, Portsmouth was without their best player and QB who was all state and broke every QB records at PHS last year in the second game,he also got hurt in the first game and never played the second half.

They was also without 2 Defensive starters , wasn't talked about much though, because like you said...play the hand you are dealt 😊

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Trojans did amazing with irontons run game but it was Perkins who was lights out. Need to get him controlled somehow, and corners need to try to turn around. Offensive line worries me and needs to give Duncan a second or 2. Someone has to beat ironton at some point so why not Portsmouth Friday. I’m looking forward to it

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Good news for Portsmouth is they just seen Ironton 2 weeks ago. They know what Ironton is going to do, and that’s likely throw it down the field. Bad news is Ironton seen Portsmouth and instead of giving up 7 they may shut them out. I think Portsmouth should kick it out of bounds instead of deep. They have the worst kickoff coverage I’ve ever seen. No team should start at midfield via kickoff every single time.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Anderson83 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:49 pm This "look at last year" comment about the second game being close, you also have to look that Ironton had if I'm remembering correctly some key injuries the second game they wasn't dealing with the first. Mainly qb1 and a D1 defense end/tightend and a freshman making only his second start at qb. Play the hand your given, but you may only be seeing the RB out this week. This is not "last year"
Ironton better hope it’s not like last year…if so Ironton will be bowing out in the next round.

Anderson83
Waterboy

Post by Anderson83 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:32 am
Ironton better hope it’s not like last year…if so Ironton will be bowing out in the next round.
The first team that jumps up and figures out they can outplay Irontons line will be the team to beat them. Could very well be West or CA. I don't see Portsmouths line getting leaps and bounds better in two weeks time. They would be better off running the ball and clock try keeping the ball away from ironton. Irontons lines are the weakest I've seen them in a while. That being said Portsmouths Poor qb ran for his life everytime he dropped back.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Anderson83 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:25 am
The first team that jumps up and figures out they can outplay Irontons line will be the team to beat them. Could very well be West or CA. I don't see Portsmouths line getting leaps and bounds better in two weeks time. They would be better off running the ball and clock try keeping the ball away from ironton. Irontons lines are the weakest I've seen them in a while. That being said Portsmouths Poor qb ran for his life everytime he dropped back.
Agree, Ironton was in the backfield before he could even start to look down field, causing him to scramble. I know they have a lot of designed rollouts as well, but the amount of times he had to run and lose yards or throw it away was wild.

Zone6_11Warriors
Waterboy

Post by Zone6_11Warriors »

Ironton. As much as I want to see the Trojans win this game, I just don't see it happening. Ironton is way too physical for the trojans.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Anderson83 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:25 am
I thought same thing at beginning of season. They seem to have improved leaps and bounds each week this year. This young group of lineman grinded out wins vs. Jackson on the road and Wheelersburg against two of the better OL/DL units in the state. Irontons speed on and athletic ability on both sides of the ball has propelled them to being a state championship contender. If the OL/DL continue to improve my prediction is they are in canton next month.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

good season for PHS, nice to see them winning, but no chance this Friday.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I heard #40 for Portsmouth broke his ankle? If that’s true Ironton will have a running clock

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Bfan99 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:12 pm I heard #40 for Portsmouth broke his ankle? If that’s true Ironton will have a running clock

They had a running clock WITH him lol

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Bfan99 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:12 pm I heard #40 for Portsmouth broke his ankle? If that’s true Ironton will have a running clock
Heard he’s in a boot waiting for a test. I hope it’s not serious and he can play what will probably be his last game as a senior. They kid is the heart and soul of Portsmouth and gives 100% every play. If he had his choice I bet he would be playing.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:32 pm Trojans did amazing with irontons run game but it was Perkins who was lights out. Need to get him controlled somehow, and corners need to try to turn around. Offensive line worries me and needs to give Duncan a second or 2. Someone has to beat ironton at some point so why not Portsmouth Friday. I’m looking forward to it
Perkins was also lights out when the Tigers and the Ironmen played the second game of the season. I know his first TD reception was probably 70-75 yards. Even though the Ironmen had a 26-14 lead at the half, after they had a turnover on receiving the second half kickoff, the first play Perkins made a great catch of probably 30-35 yards for another TD. It just seemed to completely change the momentum of the game at that point, and the Tigers from there on out had the Ironmen back on their heels with field position most of the second half. I'm not sure of the exact time, but I'm pretty sure it may have been less than a couple minutes left in the game that the Tigers then scored the go ahead TD and 2 point conversion to win the game 29-26. Perkins is not only long, he has very good speed as well. He's just a very good all around athlete.

Return to “Football”