Marietta football - What's the deal ?

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Marietta football - What's the deal ?

Post by loganlocos »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:17 pm I may be completely out of the loop on this, but does Marietta still play their home games at Marietta College? I thought that back in the SEOL days that they did.
I believe both MHS and Marietta College have played at Don Drumm since it opened and still too.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I researched this once and am now going off memory.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:17 am
VetteMan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:17 pm I may be completely out of the loop on this, but does Marietta still play their home games at Marietta College? I thought that back in the SEOL days that they did.
I believe both MHS and Marietta College have played at Don Drumm since it opened and still too.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I researched this once and am now going off memory.
I moved to Marietta in 1977 and the high school was sharing Don Drumm stadium with the college then. I'm not sure how much further back that goes. Maybe someone else here knows. I suspect that arrangement even goes way back before the newer high school opened in 1969. The previous high school is now the middle school and I would not think that field that the middle school plays on had enough parking to play high school games there.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Wildcatone wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:34 pm
loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:17 am

I moved to Marietta in 1977 and the high school was sharing Don Drumm stadium with the college then. I'm not sure how much further back that goes. Maybe someone else here knows. I suspect that arrangement even goes way back before the newer high school opened in 1969. The previous high school is now the middle school and I would not think that field that the middle school plays on had enough parking to play high school games there.
I believe loganlocos is correct. I want to say we have been using Don Drumm (Municipal Stadium) since the 20s or 30s. Here is a photo from the Marietta College library of a Marietta High School game at Don Drumm from back in the day. Marietta sure supported the Tigers back then judging by the crowd. :)

Attachments
FOOTBALL IMAGES.png

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Here’s a recent article about the history of the stadium:

https://www.mariettatimes.com/opinion/e ... l-program/

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Wow. Great history. Hopefully the Hs team can get better. MC is really good in basketball b the football team is better 👏👍

algernonsidney
Waterboy

Post by algernonsidney »

Marietta is 31-81-6 against their most-contested opponent. That is still Parkersburg. There's never been a lot of tradition at Marietta, while Parkersburg has certainly has more. That doesn't mean it can't be done though. I don't ever remember Marietta having any history of being particularly good.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

One thing I know for sure. Marietta College never had to pay Marietta City Schools some $45,000 per year to use Don Drumm Stadium prior to the school district giving it to the college for one dollar!!

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

Well. I happen to know someone looking for a job.

Y'all are just gonna have to prove that!
Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Again. Will the administration at Marietta always be satisfied with being bad at football ? Nothing at all against the current coach but they really need a program builder. This would seem to be the ultimate challenge for anyone daring to be great.

MetalheadGamer87
Freshman Team

Post by MetalheadGamer87 »

Soccer is king in the fall @ MHS.

Anyone know the Tigers 2023 schedule?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

MetalheadGamer87 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:58 pm Soccer is king in the fall @ MHS.

Fort Frye @ Marietta Week 1

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

MetalheadGamer87 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:58 pm Soccer is king in the fall @ MHS.

From Arbiter:

8/18 H Fort Frye
8/25 A West Muskingum
9/1 H Athens
9/8 A Claymont
9/15 H Ripley
9/22 A Williamstown
9/29 Open (Brooke?)
10/6 H Meigs
10/13 A Point Pleasant
10/20 H Warren

West Rowan Falcons
Freshman Team

Post by West Rowan Falcons »

You mean to tell me no Marietta opener vs. River, and no River at all on Marietta schedule? That game only made sense. Short drive too.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Always thought Logan and Marietta should play all sports

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

West Rowan Falcons wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:45 pm You mean to tell me no Marietta opener vs. River, and no River at all on Marietta schedule? That game only made sense. Short drive too.
The River game got replaced with Fort Frye, which will be a league game starting next season. Not a huge fan of having smaller schools on the schedule, but I did like the River matchup.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:24 pm Always thought Logan and Marietta should play all sports
I agree noreply. Would love to see Logan back on the schedule somewhere down the road, not just as a scrimmage.

Lucky Charms
Freshman Team

Post by Lucky Charms »

Isnt travel a problem. I dont know of a direct route between the two schools.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Lucky Charms wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:41 pm Isnt travel a problem. I dont know of a direct route between the two schools.
It takes me about 70 minutes to get to Marietta from Logan. Once I get on 33 its almost four-lane the whole trip. And I'm a slow driver. Taking 33 to Athens then heading to Marietta is the only town/city you will go through and that is the main highway. You have a couple lights near Belpre and that is about it. Very easy trip.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Logan should definitely be on Marietta’s schedule. So should Gallia and Jackson along with Warren and Athens who are already on the schedule. Best move Marietta ever made was leaving the COL. I was on the last team to compete in the COL. Enrollment wise we were on the extremely low end of being AAA. Worst mistake Marietta ever made was leaving the SEOAL. There is a sign over the doors entering into the gym that lists Marietta as the All Sports Champion in the SEOAL in 93-94, 96-97, 97-98, 98-99, 01-02, 02-03, 05-06, 8-9, 9-10, 10-11. Then the principal and AD made the terrible decision of going to the ECOL against Dover and New Philadelphia. We are just now starting to recover from that mistake.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Marietta wanted in the ecol for a few years before they got in . The travel was horrible for some games in the seoal. Their program in football was pretty bad in the ecol. Basketball, they had some nice teams, boys n girls.

Return to “Football”