Waverly 14 - 49 Wheelersburg 2022

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: WK8 Waverly - Wheelersburg

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:43 pm
Bfan99 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:25 am Burg wins comfortably, Does Burg have grey uniforms now? I seen some HOCO pictures of the players wearing all grey uniforms
The new ones worn last Friday had an off-black/grayish tent to them. Not sure why the color change.
No change. They are alternate unis. Burg was selected by Nike to wear the Jordan brand.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Burg 35-14

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Was able to see the JC - Waverly Game and Waverly moved the ball well. Had trouble stopping JC but had opportunities to stop them, caused a fumble, had them in 3rd and long a few times. Threw a pick six. That was a much closer game than the score indicated. Then I watch the Valley game and Waverly puts up that many points, but valley's game plan for that game was the biggest head scratcher for me. No way Valley should of lost that game like that. They moved the ball fine, but then decided they were going to go air raid.

So I honestly don't know what to think about them. I don't think JC was that much better than Waverly and I don't think Valley is that much worse. Burg should be able to run on the Tigers, Waverly RPO isn't as good as the past three years. Pretty much just using their scheme. QB can run but doesnt run it that much. If burg controls the run, with their three down lineman, Waverly will have a hard time moving the ball. But if they can get hurd going against burgs interior D, that will open up more in Waverly's offense.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:35 am Was able to see the JC - Waverly Game and Waverly moved the ball well. Had trouble stopping JC but had opportunities to stop them, caused a fumble, had them in 3rd and long a few times. Threw a pick six. That was a much closer game than the score indicated. Then I watch the Valley game and Waverly puts up that many points, but valley's game plan for that game was the biggest head scratcher for me. No way Valley should of lost that game like that. They moved the ball fine, but then decided they were going to go air raid.

So I honestly don't know what to think about them. I don't think JC was that much better than Waverly and I don't think Valley is that much worse. Burg should be able to run on the Tigers, Waverly RPO isn't as good as the past three years. Pretty much just using their scheme. QB can run but doesnt run it that much. If burg controls the run, with their three down lineman, Waverly will have a hard time moving the ball. But if they can get hurd going against burgs interior D, that will open up more in Waverly's offense.
That’s probably a pretty good run down, JC we were inside the 15-20, 4 times and only scored once. Valley we scored 2 defensive tds on back to back drives to make it look worse. Yes valley decided to throw it 52 times I think I seen they totally abandoned the run it wasn’t working and then they got behind. Early turnovers and turnovers on down giving us great field position added to that early on. I’m sure everyone has us anywhere from 2-4 td underdogs in this one. Valley was the first complete game we played where we didn’t hurt ourselves early on. If we can do that again keep the mistakes at a minimum and give ourselves a fighting chance in the 4th hopefully we can pull off the upset. Burg is a really good team but that’s pretty much been our entire schedule this season so hopefully we can benefit from that Friday.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Does Waverly do a live stream?

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Tigers being at home should help to some degree. The Burg at this stage of the season is usually more often than not playing their best football of the year. It seems as if the Tigers still have a lot of questions, especially about who should be playing at different positions. At times it can be very difficult to be able to run the ball against the Burg. If the Tigers have somewhat of a balance between throwing and running the ball, they may have some success against the Pirates. Let's hope for a good ballgame, plus an injury free game for both teams.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

I don't feel we are shuffling kids around on D trying to find them a spot. We are shuffling due to injuries, and kids getting wore down going both ways. The kids that are not getting playing time that I feel should be getting some must be doing something wrong that we don't see. I saw a post on here about shooting our self in the foot and last week first complete game. I believe that is only our D not being able to stop anything anywhere. I think since the Chillicothe game our O has been going strong with only 1 pick since Chillicothe and the young qb was getting hit at JC when he threw it and game was long over by then. I don't believe we have had but 2 fumbles since. The play calling in West was conservative at first but I get it. For everyone who thinks we should play a flawless game just remember they are kids. They are going to fumble and throw a int at times and miss a tackle. It is a game and lets remember its not just the kids who choke every year we should of blown them out 2 years ago and we should of won the game last year with Hurd running the ball. That was on coaches
Waverly needs to get healthy To many key players dinged up

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:04 am I don't feel we are shuffling kids around on D trying to find them a spot. We are shuffling due to injuries, and kids getting wore down going both ways. The kids that are not getting playing time that I feel should be getting some must be doing something wrong that we don't see. I saw a post on here about shooting our self in the foot and last week first complete game. I believe that is only our D not being able to stop anything anywhere. I think since the Chillicothe game our O has been going strong with only 1 pick since Chillicothe and the young qb was getting hit at JC when he threw it and game was long over by then. I don't believe we have had but 2 fumbles since. The play calling in West was conservative at first but I get it. For everyone who thinks we should play a flawless game just remember they are kids. They are going to fumble and throw a int at times and miss a tackle. It is a game and lets remember its not just the kids who choke every year we should of blown them out 2 years ago and we should of won the game last year with Hurd running the ball. That was on coaches
Playing a complete game is a team hitting on all aspects simply playing well in one area isn't enough to win against teams we've had on our schedule. Offense against JC offense was moving the ball wasn't hitting because you can't get inside the 20 4 times and only score 1 time. The defense against Valley faced 52 passes and gave up 7 points caused what 4 turnovers and offense was on a fire that's a complete game. Against West offense played well after it finally got going but again, we're down 21-0 before that started happening again not a complete game. You can't have one without the other and say we played a complete game. Now I do agree the shuffling around on D is more of trying to deal with injuries and has nothing to do with still searching for the right combination. Lucasville Valley was the 1st complete game, and we have to build off of that.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Waverly was far from complete game last week. Valley WR could not catch and there qb's overthrew a lot of passes.
However I'll take it we needed that.
I think this week Waverly can win this game but we have got to realize that they will prob play a 3-5 or 4-3 and they play there d backs 5 yards off and just sit and bait our qb's over the past years. They are a very hard team to throw against but we can always run against them. I hope we have learned something over the years and watch where we throw the ball. When we throw it needs to be where only our WR can catch it and high percentage passes. If not they will make us pay. There pass rushers are great and big so wont have all day. Run Hurd a lot, both of them. They are always a great coached team, sometimes with less talent but they know how to win.
My prediction if we get some of our key players healthy by Friday Waverly can win this game if we can find what works quickly on them. I don't worry about our offense putting up points but I do think we will turn the ball over a few times this game. They are big and Physical team and afraid they will get to the qb often. However I do believe if our d line does there job and the linebackers we know they are going to run the ball 90% of the time just need our d ends to contain for once. They line up to far in and fire off inward instead of outward to contain. Then our linebackers need to read the plays for once. Everyone wants to blame our d backs and they shouldn't be giving up deep balls but they are making way to many tackles on running plays. I'd also like to see 6 and 2 play bump coverage on WR because I believe they can tie them up on line and turn and run with anyone and its just easier to cover someone that way instead of letting them run at you at full speed and then trying to guess where there going. Which isn't easy task.
Waverly has to play a better game not because they have more talent but because they teach there kids at young age how to do it right they don't hire teachers at JH level with no clue on how to teach kids just because they are teacher. I believe Jake and Crabtree will have them ready and we win this one but will be dog fight, however, we are used to tough games

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

I hope Waverly wins but I do not see it happening. Our D is not good enough up front to stop anyone. We will get beat deep because we rely to heavily on DB"S making tackles.
Valley game looked better but they did indeed drop some passes.
Good luck to the Tigers I hope you prove me wrong.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:25 am
Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:04 am I don't feel we are shuffling kids around on D trying to find them a spot. We are shuffling due to injuries, and kids getting wore down going both ways. The kids that are not getting playing time that I feel should be getting some must be doing something wrong that we don't see. I saw a post on here about shooting our self in the foot and last week first complete game. I believe that is only our D not being able to stop anything anywhere. I think since the Chillicothe game our O has been going strong with only 1 pick since Chillicothe and the young qb was getting hit at JC when he threw it and game was long over by then. I don't believe we have had but 2 fumbles since. The play calling in West was conservative at first but I get it. For everyone who thinks we should play a flawless game just remember they are kids. They are going to fumble and throw a int at times and miss a tackle. It is a game and lets remember its not just the kids who choke every year we should of blown them out 2 years ago and we should of won the game last year with Hurd running the ball. That was on coaches
Playing a complete game is a team hitting on all aspects simply playing well in one area isn't enough to win against teams we've had on our schedule. Offense against JC offense was moving the ball wasn't hitting because you can't get inside the 20 4 times and only score 1 time. The defense against Valley faced 52 passes and gave up 7 points caused what 4 turnovers and offense was on a fire that's a complete game. Against West offense played well after it finally got going but again, we're down 21-0 before that started happening again not a complete game. You can't have one without the other and say we played a complete game. Now I do agree the shuffling around on D is more of trying to deal with injuries and has nothing to do with still searching for the right combination. Lucasville Valley was the 1st complete game, and we have to build off of that.
It is not the kids on the fields fault the coaches called a conservative game to start the west game. It is our fault we can not stop the pass on big plays. You would think they would work hard on this in practice and teach them more basics. How to hit low and How to keep WR in front of you and how to read the ball etc. Got to quit going against JV kids and more 1 on 1 starter vs starter. Maybe they have started getting back to that now. The JC game when in red zone was some of the dumbest play calling in the red zone I have ever seen. We have got to do better and believe we have got better. Jake is a young coach and is still learning too. I believe he is getting better each week as well. Tanner even though it was garbage INT's it was still INT try him in place of 13 or put 10 at corner and Tanner at safety.
Waverly is a good team and will be in this game I believe if we quit thinking there is something special about burg. Just line up and play football the only difference between us and them is they think they can win every game. They don't think anyone is on another level. Got to respect them for that.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Biggest concern is our passing game, 2019 when shanks first started we had great skill players but weren’t very effective passing it if I recall. Similar to last year with Wade we weren’t passing the ball that effectively, that’ll be my concern for the offense. Hurd had his breakout game last year in this game so hopefully we can another big showing from him

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

baller wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 am Waverly was far from complete game last week. Valley WR could not catch and there qb's overthrew a lot of passes.
However I'll take it we needed that.
I think this week Waverly can win this game but we have got to realize that they will prob play a 3-5 or 4-3 and they play there d backs 5 yards off and just sit and bait our qb's over the past years. They are a very hard team to throw against but we can always run against them. I hope we have learned something over the years and watch where we throw the ball. When we throw it needs to be where only our WR can catch it and high percentage passes. If not they will make us pay. There pass rushers are great and big so wont have all day. Run Hurd a lot, both of them. They are always a great coached team, sometimes with less talent but they know how to win.
My prediction if we get some of our key players healthy by Friday Waverly can win this game if we can find what works quickly on them. I don't worry about our offense putting up points but I do think we will turn the ball over a few times this game. They are big and Physical team and afraid they will get to the qb often. However I do believe if our d line does there job and the linebackers we know they are going to run the ball 90% of the time just need our d ends to contain for once. They line up to far in and fire off inward instead of outward to contain. Then our linebackers need to read the plays for once. Everyone wants to blame our d backs and they shouldn't be giving up deep balls but they are making way to many tackles on running plays. I'd also like to see 6 and 2 play bump coverage on WR because I believe they can tie them up on line and turn and run with anyone and its just easier to cover someone that way instead of letting them run at you at full speed and then trying to guess where there going. Which isn't easy task.
Waverly has to play a better game not because they have more talent but because they teach there kids at young age how to do it right they don't hire teachers at JH level with no clue on how to teach kids just because they are teacher. I believe Jake and Crabtree will have them ready and we win this one but will be dog fight, however, we are used to tough games
Yeah, you are right about Valleys passing game, if they could have connected more often it would have been a closer game.

Waverly more importantly has to play a better game because they just don’t have the experience Burg has, believe they only play a couple underclassman, majority juniors and seniors. And I know that they do teach the kids the same stuff at the JH level that they do at the HS level, as far as fundamentals and schemes. Run the majority of the same drills. And not all, but some of the coaches attend the HS things when not doing JH so they would know how things are being ran. A lot of JH programs do not implement the same schemes as the HS because they’d rather win then get their kids prepared for HS. And I don’t see many people lining up at the door to volunteer their own time either. Burg is successful at any sport they compete in, so I don’t think JH coaches are to blame for that. Burg has success because of their past, and at a young age they are shown and see what it takes to win and know the expectations that are set when they put on a Pirate uniform. A huge part of that is also the parents, they are committed to their kids and buy in just as much. They are a lot of kids, not just at Waverly but other schools as well, who have parents that do not care and think it’s a hassle to get them to practice or show up for their games.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It seems to me over the years, Waverly has been a aggressive style of defense, a lot of first down run blitzing, does waverly still run that type of scheme?

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

just saw this week's episode of Gridiron Glory and the story on the young man at Waverly who had the head injury, will they be taking donations for him at the game?

https://youtu.be/qBhmVGqtnBQ

kobe24rip8
Waterboy

Post by kobe24rip8 »

Waverly 28 Burg 24. Number 6 has his x factor on rn, hes goated on the sticks
Last edited by kobe24rip8 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:46 pm just saw this week's episode of Gridiron Glory and the story on the young man at Waverly who had the head injury, will they be taking donations for him at the game?

I'm not for sure if they'd take donations at the game or not this is actually only our 2nd home game since this happened. My guess is if you talked to someone in the concession stand, they would gladly take donations, the last winner of the split the pot donated it to the family in our game against Chillicothe.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:46 pm just saw this week's episode of Gridiron Glory and the story on the young man at Waverly who had the head injury, will they be taking donations for him at the game?

I'm not for sure if they'd take donations at the game or not this is actually only our 2nd home game since this happened. My guess is if you talked to someone in the concession stand, they would gladly take donations, the last winner of the split the pot donated it to the family in our game against Chillicothe.
thanks for the info, that is awesome about the split the pot winner!
head injuries are the biggest threat to the game, my guess is the sport will look completely different in the next decade.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am
It is not the kids on the fields fault the coaches called a conservative game to start the west game. It is our fault we can not stop the pass on big plays. You would think they would work hard on this in practice and teach them more basics. How to hit low and How to keep WR in front of you and how to read the ball etc. Got to quit going against JV kids and more 1 on 1 starter vs starter. Maybe they have started getting back to that now. The JC game when in red zone was some of the dumbest play calling in the red zone I have ever seen. We have got to do better and believe we have got better. Jake is a young coach and is still learning too. I believe he is getting better each week as well. Tanner even though it was garbage INT's it was still INT try him in place of 13 or put 10 at corner and Tanner at safety.
Waverly is a good team and will be in this game I believe if we quit thinking there is something special about burg. Just line up and play football the only difference between us and them is they think they can win every game. They don't think anyone is on another level. Got to respect them for that.
The Wrs getting deep is a result if you watch of guys getting caught looking in the backfield or a mix up in coverage, Waverly runs a different style of defense in the backend that takes time to learn. I know some kids who start not going to give numbers do work on defense against the 1-1s but you are correct not everyone does that. Oh, I love the fight these guys have, you think about each game we've gotten behind and they drag themselves back into the game. The schedule we've played has more than prepared us for conference play and beyond.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:20 pm
Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am

The Wrs getting deep is a result if you watch of guys getting caught looking in the backfield or a mix up in coverage, Waverly runs a different style of defense in the backend that takes time to learn. I know some kids who start not going to give numbers do work on defense against the 1-1s but you are correct not everyone does that. Oh, I love the fight these guys have, you think about each game we've gotten behind and they drag themselves back into the game. The schedule we've played has more than prepared us for conference play and beyond.
Waverly won't have to worry about the passing game this week :oops:

Return to “Football”