OVC & SOC Merge Talk

transplant
SE

Re: SOVC

Post by transplant »

Exactly, don't click on it if you don't want to read it. Pretty simple.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

In the off-season I’d love to see a in depth article in Portsmouth daily times on a realignment proposal like this. I’d love behind closed doors what most teams actually think about something like this or if they’re all truly content. My guess is a large portion of them would love to see change. Making something more competitive could also start to bring players back out. Look at Oak Hill while in SOC1 play they were holding 40-45 players, SOCII play they’ve dropped to the 20 range unacceptable for a DV school. Northwest numbers have never been better since the drop to SOC1 division. The smaller schools something like this doesn’t effect anyways.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

SOCobserver wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:36 pm I'm tired os this stupid thread. I have no idea why it comes up every year. No one ever says why it should happen. Just they wish it would happen. Well, wish in one hand and crap in the other.
Tell me you're unhappy in life without actually telling me you're unhappy in life.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Football fan
Riding the Bench

Re: SOC I and II Football 2023

Post by Football fan »

What’s the status of Western Pike their football program. That is the reason why Northwest was originally going back to the SOC II. Back in 97 they tried to combine the OVC and the SOC but the OVC SchoolsDidn’t want to travel all the way to Waverley and West Portsmouth or even to Pike County and play. The reason why Portsmouth and Ironton was never accepted into the SOC was because all the schools voted no but Wheelersburg and Medford and only reason why Milford voted yes was because at the time Minford was the smaller school and was going to drop down and be a SOC I school. Wheelersburg voted yes because they already played those schools in all other sports. South Webster tried football a few years ago but didn’t have any school support

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Football fan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:54 pm What’s the status of Western Pike their football program. That is the reason why Northwest was originally going back to the SOC II. Back in 97 they tried to combine the OVC and the SOC but the OVC SchoolsDidn’t want to travel all the way to Waverley and West Portsmouth or even to Pike County and play. The reason why Portsmouth and Ironton was never accepted into the SOC was because all the schools voted no but Wheelersburg and Medford and only reason why Milford voted yes was because at the time Minford was the smaller school and was going to drop down and be a SOC I school. Wheelersburg voted yes because they already played those schools in all other sports. South Webster tried football a few years ago but didn’t have any school support
I think the western pike football deal flopped, they’ve been unable to establish anything. Northwest was supposed to move back up once established had nothing to do with Western Pike. You might be right on the OVC teams but now with the bypass that cuts travel times down and they’re already traveling to Portsmouth now so West Portsmouth wouldn’t be an issue. You are correct on Portsmouth but that was a long time ago on the original turn down and Portsmouth had one of the top programs in the area so the other teams didn’t want to let that in plus I think there was behind the door chatter and animosity from Portsmouth that most SOC teams didn’t like. All of that was long ago it’s time to adapt.

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

Things are watered down enough. Leave it only.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

NewApproved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:18 pm Things are watered down enough. Leave it only.
What in the world are you talking about??

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:16 pm
NewApproved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:18 pm Things are watered down enough. Leave it only.
I know you know everything, but football has seven divisions. Losing programs make the playoffs. Green is ranked in the state. It is watered down.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

NewApproved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:23 pm
I know you know everything, but football has seven divisions. Losing programs make the playoffs. Green is ranked in the state. It is watered down.
First off thanks for the compliment, 2nd that's what I was trying to see you're talking about the playoffs and someone else was talking about league expansion. Which are 2 different things, you talking about Green being ranked in the state has nothing to do with a watered down playoff system.

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

Green being ranked has nothing to do with the playoff system? Laughable. League expansion is not reasonable. Let the best team from our our area represent.

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:32 pm

First off thanks for the compliment, 2nd that's what I was trying to see you're talking about the playoffs and someone else was talking about league expansion. Which are 2 different things, you talking about Green being ranked in the state has nothing to do with a watered down playoff system.
Green being ranked has nothing to do with the playoff system? Laughable. You are a pompous ass.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

NewApproved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:37 pm

Green being ranked has nothing to do with the playoff system? Laughable. You are a pompous ass.
Nope has nothing to do with it at all, why would it?? Are you talking about computer points or actual state rankings man, they're undefeated and can only score what points are in front of them. In terms of state rankings that's up to others and has nothing to do with the playoff system. I'm pompous?? Dude I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from but you're wayyyyyy over here and reality is wayyyyy over there.

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:45 pm

Nope has nothing to do with it at all, why would it?? Are you talking about computer points or actual state rankings man, they're undefeated and can only score what points are in front of them. In terms of state rankings that's up to others and has nothing to do with the playoff system. I'm pompous?? Dude I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from but you're wayyyyyy over here and reality is wayyyyy over there.
Spreading out conference play props up programs that are not going to advance in the playoffs. I see no point in thinning out the competition. School size for conference play in the two divisions makes sense. Anything else is manipulation for certain teams to make playoffs.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

NewApproved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:51 pm

Spreading out conference play props up programs that are not going to advance in the playoffs. I see no point in thinning out the competition. School size for conference play in the two divisions makes sense. Anything else is manipulation for certain teams to make playoffs.
Now see I get that argument from a playoff stand point, but I think ppl were more referring to trying to establish leagues with more competition from top to bottom. The playoffs are a totally different story and I agree at 16 teams if basically so watered down most can make it in, I think the idea of a more balanced league was just peoples idea of seeing more competitive games from start to finish. Not that you can replicate the MAC but that's something others would like to mimic.

NewApproved
Riding the Bench

Post by NewApproved »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:55 pm
NewApproved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:51 pm

Now see I get that argument from a playoff stand point, but I think ppl were more referring to trying to establish leagues with more competition from top to bottom. The playoffs are a totally different story and I agree at 16 teams if basically so watered down most can make it in, I think the idea of a more balanced league was just peoples idea of seeing more competitive games from start to finish. Not that you can replicate the MAC but that's something others would like to mimic.
League play means nothing these days.. which is sad.. school size is the only way to go. Playoffs need to tighten to get the best competition on the field.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

The OVC is just about perfect, why would they change it? Since 2015 when Ironton joined the OVC, Gallia, portsmouth, fairland and coal grove have all beaten ironton. So i dont see the problem with the OVC as is. The biggest issue is Portsmouth is not competitive in any sport but they are a pretty good fit i feel. Ironton's only team Sport OVC championships are in Football and Softball i believe. Hardly dominant when you look outside of football. All schools have "their" sport.

Football- ironton
Boys soccer- Gallia Academy
Girls Soccer- Rock Hill
Volleyball- Gallia Academy
Wrestling- Gallia Academy
Boys Basketball- Fairland
Girls Basketball- Fairland
Baseball- Gallia?
Softball- Rock Hill?
Track- I am not sure about this
Last edited by goUK on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Ironton won Baseball last year

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

XandOs wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:24 am Ironton won Baseball last year
Thanks for the clarification.

7 years in the ovc Ironton has won 7 football championships, 2 softball and 1 baseball. I believe this is correct? We all know this thread is based on wheelersburg, jackson and Ironton so no im not bashing Ironton, just speaking on the OVC.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

goUK wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:27 pm
XandOs wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:24 am Ironton won Baseball last year
Thanks for the clarification.

7 years in the ovc Ironton has won 7 football championships, 2 softball and 1 baseball. I believe this is correct? We all know this thread is based on wheelersburg, jackson and Ironton so no im not bashing Ironton, just speaking on the OVC.
This is correct. But as you know and everyone else knows. Football is the sport in our area and everything is based off it. That’s why they want Ironton out of the league.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Since the OVC is so perfect, I think I am looking at this in a completely wrong way..... I think the SOC should send out 4 invites into their league.

1. Portsmouth
2. Ironton
3. Piketon
4 . Jackson

After they accept, lol, then refigure the league on a more Competitive balance!
goUK wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 am The OVC is just about perfect, why would they change it? Since 2015 when Ironton joined the OVC, Gallia, portsmouth, fairland and coal grove have all beaten ironton. So i dont see the problem with the OVC as is. The biggest issue is Portsmouth is not competitive in any sport but they are a pretty good fit i feel. Ironton's only team Sport OVC championships are in Football and Softball i believe. Hardly dominant when you look outside of football. All schools have "their" sport.

Football- ironton
Boys soccer- Gallia Academy
Girls Soccer- Rock Hill
Volleyball- Gallia Academy
Wrestling- Gallia Academy
Boys Basketball- Fairland
Girls Basketball- Fairland
Baseball- Gallia?
Softball- Rock Hill?
Track- I am not sure about this

Return to “Football”