Portsmouth West 49 - 42 Waverly 2022

SiderBlood
All Conference

Re: WK 6 : Waverly (2-3) @ Portsmouth West (4-1)

Post by SiderBlood »

Biggest thing for West is to keep their head on straight and stay focused. Kids will be kids and you know they listen to the talk in the bleachers. Have to take it one game at a time and not look ahead. You already hear talks about week 10 when Burg comes to town. A team like Waverly or Minford could play spoiler if they don't finish the task at hand. In my opinion, I think that's partly what happened against Fairland. They listened to the hype and didn't play to the potential. They are vibing and having fun at the moment. If Waverly can't get the pass going at all, it will be hard to score on the hard hitting Siders D. Gonna say 33-13. If they can open it up a little it could be a alot closer.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

West

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

West, 20+

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

Going with West winning comfortably.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I just heard today that both Hurd boys dad is actually a football coach for West HS..? Tell me this isn’t so. LoL if so Waverly should have one heck of a scouting report…

WWE HALL OF FAME
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MrPerfect wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:11 pm I just heard today that both Hurd boys dad is actually a football coach for West HS..? Tell me this isn’t so. LoL if so Waverly should have one heck of a scouting report…
Interesting, even if each one of their dads were coaching there why would it be a heck of a scouting report?? Please tell me you're not going to sit here and really think a coach from West would give some sort of scouting report to waverly :lol: :lol:

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

You mean you wouldn’t help your son’s team, even if you were for some ungodly reason coaching against them? I would hope you wouldn’t even be coaching against them in the first place…

WWE HALL OF FAME
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MrPerfect wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:19 pm You mean you wouldn’t help your son’s team, even if you were for some ungodly reason coaching against them? I would hope you wouldn’t even be coaching against them in the first place…
Nope, you never know what things life is going to throw at us, so you can't control that. It wouldn't be fair to my players who's done all this work to say I'd help my sons team, crazy. You keep it business

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I just can’t see someone doing this to their kids…? I mean coaching against them…? That’s what would be crazy! I could never imagine…
Could you imagine how that would make your kids feel..?

WWE HALL OF FAME
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

MrPerfect wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:11 pm I just heard today that both Hurd boys dad is actually a football coach for West HS..? Tell me this isn’t so. LoL if so Waverly should have one heck of a scouting report…
That's not true. Ones dad is a JH coach. Nothing to do with the high school staff as far as I know. It's not my place to Comment on family situations so I'll just leave it at that. The other ones mom moved to Waverly and once again it's not my business with that situation either so I'll leave it at that. His dad is not a coach. Was for several years involved in pee wee levels and very well known, but not for several years.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

SiderBlood wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:03 pm
That's not true. Ones dad is a JH coach. Nothing to do with the high school staff as far as I know. It's not my place to Comment on family situations so I'll just leave it at that. The other ones mom moved to Waverly and once again it's not my business with that situation either so I'll leave it at that. His dad is not a coach. Was for several years involved in pee wee levels and very well known, but not for several years.
So it’s two separate dad’s? Ok i’m confused now, I was told that their dad is on the sidelines on Friday nights for West…Oh well I guess it is what it is. It’s still sad if he coaches against his his, regardless of situation. Your kids should be number 1. Period

If all things remain fair, then West wins by 3+ TD’s

WWE HALL OF FAME
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

MrPerfect wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:54 pm
So it’s two separate dad’s? Ok i’m confused now, I was told that their dad is on the sidelines on Friday nights for West…Oh well I guess it is what it is. It’s still sad if he coaches against his his, regardless of situation. Your kids should be number 1. Period

Without getting into people's business too much one of the Hurd boys doesn't use his biological dads name. His mom is a Hurd. That dad coaches JH. The other one hasn't coached in many years and that was in pee wee. Kind of confusing to the outside but their is 2 dads, completely unrelated.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SiderBlood wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:22 pm

Without getting into people's business too much one of the Hurd boys doesn't use his biological dads name. His mom is a Hurd. That dad coaches JH. The other one hasn't coached in many years and that was in pee wee. Kind of confusing to the outside but their is 2 dads, completely unrelated.
Jase and Quinton are cousins, not brothers!!!

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

smurray wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Thanks. It seems like a really sad situation, whichever one decides to coach and not watch their own child play. Seems really selfish.
I really feel for that young man.

WWE HALL OF FAME
Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

Both boys are originally West kids ?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

smurray wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Easiest way to put it, thank you

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Ed Gennero wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:58 am Both boys are originally West kids ?
Yes they were. One moved with his mom to Waverly, I can't give you a reason on the other

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Waverlyintheday wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:49 am
allaboutsports wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:31 am Well, for Waverly yet another tough team we get to take on. We’re in the middle of a brutal run of teams right now and hopefully the old saying what doesn’t break you will make you stronger. Our QB is getting better as the season goes on, just like to see him throw the deep ball just a bit sooner and trust them to outrun guys. On defense can we please put Legend and Wyatt at DE I’m tired of watching everyone get to the outside. We have no containment, 17 can’t get off a block and doesn’t have enough butt to set an edge. Wyatt and Legend to DE, let Q and Logan play LBs those are 2 of your bigger hitters on the team and have the speed to get sideline to sideline especially Logan who’s a heat seeking missile just to much a liability at safety. This defense would have the possibility to be so much better going into league play.
Offensively we can run the ball but why on earth do we keep running between the guards every run?? Guard pulls their LB fills behind him and makes the play. Hudson is doing an excellent job at WR and making plays they’ve got to get a WR opposite to take the top off the defense.

West is an excellent team and looking at stats seem to be very balanced. It will be another tough game for Waverly as we’ll need to contain Sissell to have any shot in this one. Hopefully being a bit more familiar with a team like this will help us. If no adjustments are made within the front 7 on defense could be another long night.
I would like to see him throw it out there little farther too, however Kelley is only one who goes up and gets the ball and his line with 2 hurt is struggling. Qb was solid this week and getting better and better, need to keep developing him because may struggle in run game next year.
#17 does not do anything positive. I would like to see a 5-2 with logan and Q at linebacker and Wyatt and Legend at d ends. #5 at safety and 2 and 6 at corners. As for containment I was told our coaches will not allow our d ends to move out at all. Legend has tried to move out to be on outside shoulder so he can contain and they keep telling him to move back in and he gets tied up. Was told Q was told his job was to take out the fullback last week was his only job at LB. I can not imagine them being told to do either.
I agree with you but think Wyatt and Pollard are both great as well and will go get the ball. The other spot someone needs to step up, so far I would say Tanner or Jamison needs more of a shot or Carson or #3
D needs to go to 5-2 I agree with you there, unless its a throwing team which we really have not faced yet.
Love to see the other spot step up more, I will say against JC those guys did get open but the ball was late getting to them. Mason is young and he'll learn on those deeper throws you have to throw guys open by simply getting it out early and letting them get by ppl. Kody caught a TD but he also had his guy beat on the 4th down play for a TD, on that one though I think QB had a guy barreling down right as he threw the ball. Cade would've had a TD late in the game again just didn't throw it far enough would've been an easy TD. I really like how these young guys have progressed, especially Kelly at QB he's still making the simple mistakes but he's also making some really nice throws at times. This team over the next couple years could put up HUGE numbers with Kelly at QB and the guys they have on the outside. Tanner and Jamison I think you're seeing getting in more on offense, loved that #3 Mason Sparks is stepping up and starting to fill a role as well, they've got guys like Logan and Carson who can take the top off the defense even if you just give them 2-3 shots per game those are your burners who can get over the top. Logan is strong in a jump ball situation as well, that's why you seen him getting in there against JC they wanted the jump ball just hadn't worked on it.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

allaboutsports wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:31 am Well, for Waverly yet another tough team we get to take on. We’re in the middle of a brutal run of teams right now and hopefully the old saying what doesn’t break you will make you stronger. Our QB is getting better as the season goes on, just like to see him throw the deep ball just a bit sooner and trust them to outrun guys. On defense can we please put Legend and Wyatt at DE I’m tired of watching everyone get to the outside. We have no containment, 17 can’t get off a block and doesn’t have enough butt to set an edge. Wyatt and Legend to DE, let Q and Logan play LBs those are 2 of your bigger hitters on the team and have the speed to get sideline to sideline especially Logan who’s a heat seeking missile just to much a liability at safety. This defense would have the possibility to be so much better going into league play.
Offensively we can run the ball but why on earth do we keep running between the guards every run?? Guard pulls their LB fills behind him and makes the play. Hudson is doing an excellent job at WR and making plays they’ve got to get a WR opposite to take the top off the defense.

West is an excellent team and looking at stats seem to be very balanced. It will be another tough game for Waverly as we’ll need to contain Sissell to have any shot in this one. Hopefully being a bit more familiar with a team like this will help us. If no adjustments are made within the front 7 on defense could be another long night.
I would like to see him throw it out there little farther too, however Kelley is only one who goes up and gets the ball and his line with 2 hurt is struggling. Qb was solid this week and getting better and better, need to keep developing him because may struggle in run game next year.
#17 does not do anything positive. I would like to see a 5-2 with logan and Q at linebacker and Wyatt and Legend at d ends. #5 at safety and 2 and 6 at corners. As for containment I was told our coaches will not allow our d ends to move out at all. Legend has tried to move out to be on outside shoulder so he can contain and they keep telling him to move back in and he gets tied up. Was told Q was told his job was to take out the fullback last week was his only job at LB. I can not imagine them being told to do either.
Yeah I heard that as well, and honestly a lot of times with those offenses like JC ran you do assign certain players certain positions. I don't know that you'll see us run any 5-2, but dang need to let those DE's set the edge and contain, let the DT and LBs finish it off simply too much stuff outside. Unioto, chillicothe, and JC the big plays were from the tackle out and that's because we're losing contain which makes our LBs just spectators as it's tough getting through all that traffic and leaves our corners and safeties dealing with WRs and pulling lineman it's simply too much to ask of players to shed a WR and then avoid a OL and try and make a tackle. They're trying to do it but it's 10-15 yards down the field, and I can't put fault on guys that are put in that position. Once we start containing better this defense will take a huge step forward.

SiderSam
Waterboy

Post by SiderSam »

Actually there is some truth to this. I am 100% certain that the one Dad quit coaching JH and then was added to the staff for the HS.
To what he actually does I’m really not sure? I do know he doesn’t go to practices through the week, But is out with the team on Friday’s. As for helping his kid, I understand it’s an odd situation, But I would highly doubt that Coach G would ever let something like that happen.
Last edited by SiderSam on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

🟠⬛️WESTSIDE🟠⬛️

Return to “Football”