Carrico lost in the sauce in Columbus?

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Carrico lost in the sauce in Columbus?

Post by bbjunky81 »

Man, some of ya'll really struggling to understand what a redshirt year means. :lol:

Redshirt is essentially a free year on the team that doesn't count towards eligibility. Reid was redshirted last year which means Reid is a Redshirt FRESHMAN. Redshirt sophomore would mean he was in his 3rd season.

Second year player in his redshirt freshman season. He still has 3 years of eligibility left AFTER this season.

Regardless of how this season goes he still has 3 more seasons to get on the field all-the-while receiving a great education and being on the sidelines for a top 5 OSU national title contending team.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Coming off of that point, the only OSU players who are redshirt freshman that saw the field are:

Offense: 71 possible snaps

Jayden Ballard: 20 snaps (benefited from 2 WR upper classmen being injured and ruled out before the game)
Zen Michalski: one snap on Special Teams

Defense: 50 possible snaps

JK Johnson (Special teams only as CB)
Jantzen Dunn (Special teams only)
Mike Hall (30 as DT)

That's it for the redshirt freshman and there's SEVERAL highly recruited redshirt freshman on this roster.

Fact of the matter is it's hard to see the field at OSU as an underclassmen unless you are a supreme talent on the offensive side (Henderson, Egbuka, Harrison etc.) The rest typically have to earn their way and look for playing time in years 3-5. That's just how insanely talented and deep Ohio State is.

Give Reid time. He's a phenomenal kid playing football for a great university. I can guarantee he's working as hard as anyone on that roster. His time will come.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:47 pm Man, some of ya'll really struggling to understand what a redshirt year means. :lol:

Redshirt is essentially a free year on the team that doesn't count towards eligibility. Reid was redshirted last year which means Reid is a Redshirt FRESHMAN. Redshirt sophomore would mean he was in his 3rd season.

Second year player in his redshirt freshman season. He still has 3 years of eligibility left AFTER this season.

Regardless of how this season goes he still has 3 more seasons to get on the field all-the-while receiving a great education and being on the sidelines for a top 5 OSU national title contending team.
There are several on here that do not understand, so thank you for Input.

I honestly think the posters struggling with it didn’t realize he’d be battling such talented players from around the country for playing time &/or a starting position @ this point.

He was such a mainstay in many IronTon Fans & Haters visuals for 3-years, withdrawals are setting in.

Regardless, he is in a good spot & will be fine. If the absence of Washington is creating an obstacle in game plan & prep, he knows what’s best for him & he has an incredible family unit to help him weigh out his options if need be.

Good Luck Reid!!!

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:16 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:47 pm Man, some of ya'll really struggling to understand what a redshirt year means. :lol:

There are several on here that do not understand, so thank you for Input.

I honestly think the posters struggling with it didn’t realize he’d be battling such talented players from around the country for playing time &/or a starting position @ this point.

He was such a mainstay in many IronTon Fans & Haters visuals for 3-years, withdrawals are setting in.

Regardless, he is in a good spot & will be fine. If the absence of Washington is creating an obstacle in game plan & prep, he knows what’s best for him & he has an incredible family unit to help him weigh out his options if need be.

Good Luck Reid!!!
All true. What is also worth noting is 5 star LB CJ Hicks ( who Knowles and Day are very high on) is in that room as well, and another freshman LB class ( knowles first) will soon be also.
( and lets also note Teradja Mitchell is still listed ahead on depth chart, is an upper classman and didnt see minutes vs ND)
Knowles.has actually mentioned he expects Hicks to play a role this season possibly as time progresses. Incoming class includes Glenvilles Arvell Reese who committed after being heavily recruited.

I didn't focus a whole lot on Reids redshirt because Ohio State recruits at such a high level, I tend to notice the urgency to really establish a role for yourself at any position is exceedingly strenuous at a more immediate pace of expectation.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:09 pm Coming off of that point, the only OSU players who are redshirt freshman that saw the field are:

Offense: 71 possible snaps

Jayden Ballard: 20 snaps (benefited from 2 WR upper classmen being injured and ruled out before the game)
Zen Michalski: one snap on Special Teams

Defense: 50 possible snaps

JK Johnson (Special teams only as CB)
Jantzen Dunn (Special teams only)
Mike Hall (30 as DT)

That's it for the redshirt freshman and there's SEVERAL highly recruited redshirt freshman on this roster.

Fact of the matter is it's hard to see the field at OSU as an underclassmen unless you are a supreme talent on the offensive side (Henderson, Egbuka, Harrison etc.) The rest typically have to earn their way and look for playing time in years 3-5. That's just how insanely talented and deep Ohio State is.

Give Reid time. He's a phenomenal kid playing football for a great university. I can guarantee he's working as hard as anyone on that roster. His time will come.
I have read a lot about staff and players being extremely high on Ballard. They also see him playing an increased role as season goes on. Many players call him the fastest player on the team.

Mike.Hall jr I believe was our def pog this week. He's a stud.

GhostOfHomer
Freshman Team

Post by GhostOfHomer »

He will play a lot the next two weeks.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Oh well, you get that free education big guy that’s what it’s about. At this point playing time is just a bonus he’ll do more with that education

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Not just the education aspect, but they call it a “Buckeye for Life” for a reason. Ohio State football? Endless networking opportunities for your ‘life after ball.’

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:45 pm Oh well, you get that free education big guy that’s what it’s about. At this point playing time is just a bonus he’ll do more with that education
Education and networking obvi go without saying so I didn't really focus on outliers as op was specifically about footabll, erg: this being a football forum.

Unless were gonna mention "but hey, that edu" in every game thread. Probably a reason as to why we don't. I sorta concentrated on op. I get the local sentiment and maybe the inclination to divert a bit from op however. I noticed as thread goes on responses are becoming a touch more influenced by sentiment. I was impressed and even noted the objectivity early on in thread, but I also expected it to begin to breakdown and divert away from op.
Last edited by THEEE_GAME on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

GhostOfHomer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:42 pm He will play a lot the next two weeks.
Hoping so also. Probably best opportunity early. I expect Terajda Mitchell and CJ Hicks may also see some minutes. So we will see I guess.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

84Dragon wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:27 pm Welcome to Marshall University from the transfer portal .....
I don't see that happening.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:40 pm
greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:45 pm Oh well, you get that free education big guy that’s what it’s about. At this point playing time is just a bonus he’ll do more with that education
Education and networking obvi go without saying so I didn't really focus on outliers as op was specifically about footabll, erg: this being a football forum.

Unless were gonna mention "but hey, that edu" in every game thread. Probably a reason as to why we don't. I sorta concentrated on op. I get the local sentiment and maybe the inclination to divert a bit from op however. I noticed as thread goes on responses are becoming a touch more influenced by sentiment. I was impressed and even noted the objectivity early on in thread, but I also expected it to begin to breakdown and divert away from op.
Oh, I’m not one of those posters though the ability for any young player to earn a free scholarship is what I focus on that’s the main basis behind it all. There’s 5 star athletes all over the country that don’t get playing time or don’t measure up to that status. Which is why I hate just looking at how a young man is doing based solely on playing time. Especially when you go to a large program bigger, faster and sometimes better players are brought in year in and year out. Young man from Georgia several years back was the #1 LB coming out of Georgia kid couldn’t get on the field at OSU, simply couldn’t grasp the defense.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

And another year that the ncaa gave for covid? Or was that a 1 year thing

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:12 pm
THEEE_GAME wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:40 pm

Oh, I’m not one of those posters though the ability for any young player to earn a free scholarship is what I focus on that’s the main basis behind it all. There’s 5 star athletes all over the country that don’t get playing time or don’t measure up to that status. Which is why I hate just looking at how a young man is doing based solely on playing time. Especially when you go to a large program bigger, faster and sometimes better players are brought in year in and year out. Young man from Georgia several years back was the #1 LB coming out of Georgia kid couldn’t get on the field at OSU, simply couldn’t grasp the defense.
Absolutely great point sir. You gotta have an acumen to match that talent. One thing I know for certain is Reid is a very bright young man.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:41 am
82nd wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:56 am free education in all reality isn't free
Kinda cringed at that being said over and over from a blue collar region on labor day of all things. These universities and coaches literally make MILLIONS off the backs of these 17, 18, and 19 yr old kids. It's odd how working class areas often have no working class solidarity, but I digress.
meaning these kids put in more than enough time and i agree wholeheartedly with the latter part of last statement.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:41 am
Kinda cringed at that being said over and over from a blue collar region on labor day of all things. These universities and coaches literally make MILLIONS off the backs of these 17, 18, and 19 yr old kids. It's odd how working class areas often have no working class solidarity, but I digress.
[puts fist in the air] ✊

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Well Ohio State doesn't know how to field a good defense if the butt kicking Michigan gave them last year is any indication. I'm sure Michigan would use young Reid properly. Take the journey up US-23 N, youngin

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

“Take the journey up US-23 B, youngin”

That’s some Rabbit sh** if I ever heard such. To play for this guy? Even more Rabbit energy.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eleven ... ason%3famp

...here's the cold hard facts... great player, great career, an from all accounts, great kid... but he got washed last year.. by whoever they put in... an I've been sayin this for a while, but I think this should be a cautionary tale for some other young guys.. an coaches.. and parents. Bigtime d1 ain't no joke... get these kids somewhere they can compete..somewhere they can play.. fit is everything. Definitely don't mean any disrespect.. rooting for all these local kids.. jus sayin...bigger ain't always better..

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

He will walk away with a big-time education. Who knows, he may end up on Ironton's staff. The education isnt solely in the classroom.

Return to “Football”