enigmaax
All State

Re: Belpre football

Post by enigmaax »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:48 am
Dundas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:40 pm
jsteth wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:43 pm

what years did fh have great teams? curious who you are talking about
Federal Hocking made the playoffs in 2006 with a 9-1 record under coach Jeff Downs. They won the Hocking with a 5-0 record. That’s all I can think of. Jeff still resides in Athens county to my knowledge.

He also took Vinton County to the playoffs in 2004 with an 8-2 record.
I believe The Salesman, Springer, was the man in charge in 06 and took them to 9-1 and Hocking champs. I think he was here two years and had a co-champ and outright champ but I could be off a little in the years. He didn't require anyone to come to conditioning or weight lifting or practices and the practices were short. No practices during fair week, which is right in the middle of two a days. He got record numbers of kids out with that approach and at that time we were loaded with athletes in the school, and he got them to play football which most coaches can't. They were in terrible shape, but good enough and deep enough to keep talent on the field and go 9-1. Then Downs came in after that and used pretty much the same approach and reaped the benefits of what Springer had started which led to a playoff appearance.
According to fourseasonsfootball.com (amazing resource if one hasn’t seen it), Springer went 7-3 in his one year (2005). Downs took them to the playoffs in 2006, going 9-2 in his only season there (looks like he was 17-14 at VC with a playoff berth in his first stint, then 13-17 in his last go round from 2015-18 - not sure if he coached anywhere in between).

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:18 pm
The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:48 am
Dundas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:40 pm

Federal Hocking made the playoffs in 2006 with a 9-1 record under coach Jeff Downs. They won the Hocking with a 5-0 record. That’s all I can think of. Jeff still resides in Athens county to my knowledge.

He also took Vinton County to the playoffs in 2004 with an 8-2 record.
I believe The Salesman, Springer, was the man in charge in 06 and took them to 9-1 and Hocking champs. I think he was here two years and had a co-champ and outright champ but I could be off a little in the years. He didn't require anyone to come to conditioning or weight lifting or practices and the practices were short. No practices during fair week, which is right in the middle of two a days. He got record numbers of kids out with that approach and at that time we were loaded with athletes in the school, and he got them to play football which most coaches can't. They were in terrible shape, but good enough and deep enough to keep talent on the field and go 9-1. Then Downs came in after that and used pretty much the same approach and reaped the benefits of what Springer had started which led to a playoff appearance.
According to fourseasonsfootball.com (amazing resource if one hasn’t seen it), Springer went 7-3 in his one year (2005). Downs took them to the playoffs in 2006, going 9-2 in his only season there (looks like he was 17-14 at VC with a playoff berth in his first stint, then 13-17 in his last go round from 2015-18 - not sure if he coached anywhere in between).
I just now looked them up on that site. Good site. But 7-3 wasn't that big of a deal. Heck Dave Richards was better than that. He took them 8-2 and had one of the best teams in school history. One of his losses was to 8-2 Fort Frye and the other was to a 9-1 Miller team that won the Hocking and went to the playoffs. Doubt he would come back because he helps his son at NY but it would be worth a call to see if he'd be interested.

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

Jeff C was the brain behind winning teams at FedHock.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Tiger73 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:54 pm Jeff C was the brain behind winning teams at FedHock.
Who is Jeff C? I'll have to ask Dave R if he knows who he is.

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

As a alum - not living in Belpre anymore- it appears that numbers are and have been a problem. There seem to be some athletes over these last few years. Track, CC compete at district and some state level competitions. Basketball has been competitive. Football seems to be a mess. Second year coach was able to get 14 kids I heard for Warren game. Doesn’t sound like much excitement be generated. How much off season interaction with high school kids and jr high kids to recruit more athletes?
If what I heard is true, that he is not around then that is a problem. Coaches job is year round not just Friday nights.Friday nights should be the easiest as your kids get to show what they have learned and how much they improve.
Time for AD, principal, super etc to look in the mirror and ask themselves the question, “are we doing all we can for these kids”

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

Bright analysis…and very accurate. Problem is the Board leader brought in a name guy to coach some but actually headline the levy for the new school system. Someone thought the Hfc could charm the public. The Supt is dominated by a less than bright but aggressive board member.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Tiger73 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:57 pm Bright analysis…and very accurate. Problem is the Board leader brought in a name guy to coach some but actually headline the levy for the new school system. Someone thought the Hfc could charm the public. The Supt is dominated by a less than bright but aggressive board member.
Why was Belpre searching for a coach to begin with?

It seems like even with Devol, a legendary coach, they were already struggling with numbers. I could be off, but I was thinking when Warren played them in 2019 there were only 20 kids; whereas as recently as 2015 they had around 30 kids on the team.

Belpre’s community support has been atrocious for many years. It feels like every coach they hire gets criticized either before they coach a game or the minute some fantasy expectation isn’t met (or in “the way they do things). And that impression comes from public posts here (which I know is generally a handful of people), talking to friends and family in the community, including some people who have coached there, as well as seeing the attendance/engagement over a number of years (not just athletics; population/enrollment has dwindled and there’s nothing on the entire town that’s been exciting for years). How long have the board members, superintendent, administration been involved? And when was the last time Belpre supported anyone working in the district?

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Can JB3's team get some points this week?
Will it be offense, defense or special teams?
I hope they can punch one in.

Buckeye2021
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye2021 »

carbon_dated wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:09 pm Can JB3's team get some points this week?
Will it be offense, defense or special teams?
I hope they can punch one in.
Hats off to the boys to keep coming back on fridays , this is probably the only chance they have to be competitive this year

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Don’t count on it

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

All of you are exactly correct and state things well.
School admin knows you are correct but they have already committed to Bell. A Bell housing deal and $….all aimed at levy approval. What a shame. I live in town ands can say that everyone has their number. Our levy needs to be passed but the BIG M GREENIE BELL SQUAD is condescending and makes all voters look manipulated. Pass the levy, run Bell and Big M off.

jimmiehoffa
Waterboy

Post by jimmiehoffa »

Tiger73 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:55 am All of you are exactly correct and state things well.
School admin knows you are correct but they have already committed to Bell. A Bell housing deal and $….all aimed at levy approval. What a shame. I live in town ands can say that everyone has their number. Our levy needs to be passed but the BIG M GREENIE BELL SQUAD is condescending and makes all voters look manipulated. Pass the levy, run Bell and Big M off.
What do you mean by housing deal and money sir?

jimmiehoffa
Waterboy

Post by jimmiehoffa »

Let's hope that the ship can be righted sooner than later.

The kids deserve the best in the classroom, on the field and with facilities.

Go Eagles!

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

Heck, maybe Bell coached for free and paid his own condo rent.
It’s all for the kids anyway!

Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

I got to see Belpre tonight. They played hard and got their first points tonight.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

South Gallia 59 Belpre 3

Our boys play very hard. I'm happy for them that they finally scored.

Scoring more points against the remaining teams on our schedule will be very difficult.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Kurgan74 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:50 pm I got to see Belpre tonight. They played hard and got their first points tonight.
No one has questioned the Belpre kids’ effort or heart. They give it everything they have. Unfortunatley they don’t have a real coach and have not been taught how fundamentals so they are at a severe disadvantage every game.

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

Did you get Big M’s ok to say that?

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

The larger problem is that those of us living in town are being dominated by the crap member of the Board. Everyone should be up in arms but we are” professionally reluctant” to act. So Big M continues to run everything including kid’s lives.

Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

Correction…..including ruining kids lives

Return to “Football”