Re: Gridiron Classic @ Vinton County

Post by EasternDspy »

Is this just a scrimmage

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:31 pm Is this just a scrimmage
Yes. Full contact scrimmage that we look to make an annual event.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Dundas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 am A42D76B9-2F5D-41C8-999D-E15EB939E74A.jpeg
How will the format work ?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 pm
Dundas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:53 am A42D76B9-2F5D-41C8-999D-E15EB939E74A.jpeg
How will the format work ?
I’m not 100% sure on the format but each team will get playing time against one another. I assume 10 play offensive sets and some down and distance.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

That's a lot of hype for a scrimmage lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:07 pm That's a lot of hype for a scrimmage lol
I get the coach is trying to grow the program. But for football 4 teams seems odd. Usually teams do 20-40 plays with starters and then sub out.

So they’ll basically have 3 scrimmages in one day. Even if they go 10 and 10 with each team , seems like alot of time spent moving teams around.

I get it with basketball , 7 on 7 , etc.

Hope it works out, 4 really good teams.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:21 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:07 pm That's a lot of hype for a scrimmage lol
I get the coach is trying to grow the program. But for football 4 teams seems odd. Usually teams do 20-40 plays with starters and then sub out.

So they’ll basically have 3 scrimmages in one day. Even if they go 10 and 10 with each team , seems like alot of time spent moving teams around.

Varsity typically gets around 30 plays in a scrimmage then the jv get 10 to 15. 4 teams is to many in my opinion but I hope it works out well for them.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:38 pm

Varsity typically gets around 30 plays in a scrimmage then the jv get 10 to 15. 4 teams is to many in my opinion but I hope it works out well for them.
I'm sure the scrimmage will be fine. This format has been around for a while , its a way to see many different styles of play and different teams in a scrimmage. Different parts of the state like over in the east and up north and southwest have done it. I've been to a few . Washington CH a few years ago we went with Jamestown, Mechanicsburg, WCH, and I cannot remember the 4th. If your a football fan you'll like it . Helps your team I believe .

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

As long as it’s well-planned and the weather holds up, this concept has all the makings of a fantastic event. Could draw a decent crowd (yeah, yeah, I know it’s a scrimmy but that football fever is contagious) and it’d be good for the concessions.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

I kind of like the idea. You are still gonna run the 30-40 plays, but you get to see different sets and bodies. Even though it's a scrimmage, this is a pretty good group of teams.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC has played in a lot of multi team scrimmages over the years. This isn’t anything new. We just haven’t hosted many. I am excited to see all the different teams and to get an idea of each teams strengths. Playing South, West and Chillicothe will definitely help VC more than some of our previous seasons scrimmage opponents. Even if it does take 5 hours.

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Playing 3 different teams means you can see your defense against 3 different offenses and your offense against 3 different defenses. Good idea if that’s what Coach Carper had in mind when he set this up.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

Dundas wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 am VC has played in a lot of multi team scrimmages over the years. This isn’t anything new. We just haven’t hosted many. I am excited to see all the different teams and to get an idea of each teams strengths. Playing South, West and Chillicothe will definitely help VC more than some of our previous seasons scrimmage opponents. Even if it does take 5 hours.
I hope it does'nt last 5hrs. breaking rules in the first scrimmage of the year :lol: 3 hour max on scrimmages. They will use both ends of the field. Varsity on one end and JV on the other. usually your jv and varsity wont be playing at the sametime either.

Union Local Kid
Riding the Bench

Post by Union Local Kid »

So what was the verdict with this shindig?

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

How did Chillicothe look?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Didn't get a chance to make it up, what was the verdict?

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 pm Didn't get a chance to make it up, what was the verdict?
I can’t tell you the results from West vs south or Chillicothe as I was focused on VC but I can tell you all 4 teams looked to be on the same level. Each had strengths and it was cool to see different playing styles all at once. Also, West brought just as many fans as VC did. Great turnout from them.

During VC and Wests 10 play scrimmage, both scored on 40 yard runs on the first play. Neither team was able to do much after that on offense. Wests RB is the real deal and the QB looked pretty good despite the rough weather conditions. I can see West as a real threat to win the SOC. Chillicothe got the better of South (from what I saw) but not much better. Again, the talent seemed to be pretty even across the board today but I’m sure none of the squads really ran their bread and butter. I look for all 4 teams to have a successful season. It was nice to see live action.

I’m looking forward to the VC and West matchup next year in week 3. Should be a great series and a good gate for each team as both fan bases travel well. Good luck to the Senators this year!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Dundas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:32 am
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 pm Didn't get a chance to make it up, what was the verdict?
I can’t tell you the results from West vs south or Chillicothe as I was focused on VC but I can tell you all 4 teams looked to be on the same level. Each had strengths and it was cool to see different playing styles all at once. Also, West brought just as many fans as VC did. Great turnout from them.

During VC and Wests 10 play scrimmage, both scored on 40 yard runs on the first play. Neither team was able to do much after that on offense. Wests RB is the real deal and the QB looked pretty good despite the rough weather conditions. I can see West as a real threat to win the SOC. Chillicothe got the better of South (from what I saw) but not much better. Again, the talent seemed to be pretty even across the board today but I’m sure none of the squads really ran their bread and butter. I look for all 4 teams to have a successful season. It was nice to see live action.

I’m looking forward to the VC and West matchup next year in week 3. Should be a great series and a good gate for each team as both fan bases travel well. Good luck to the Senators this year!
Yes West will travel well. Didn’t know West/VC was on for next year. That’s a good series. West will return a good team next year

Yes it was a good scrimmage. Teams are working on things and different teams approach these different ways. I know one of West’s best linemen was out so that effected what they did. But they know they can line up and run power with Sissel so they didn’t run him much. And after the first series with Chillicothe they probably could have done that against Columbus South or Vinton County and I don’t think either would’ve ever stopped it. Chillicothe came out stacking the box and West was trying some stuff up front. Week 1 you have to do that to stop the run especially in this conditions. First scrimmage it kinda leaves you scratching your head wondering if they legitimately play that kind of defense but maybe they do. Did not notice the Tight End for Chillicothe.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

Westfan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:35 am
Dundas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:32 am
What kind of defense do you expect to see when you come out with a TE and two backs? Any thing less than a 4-3 and the DC needs fired! Chilly runs a 4-3 that will roll to a 4-4,5-2 against power teams and spread out into a 4-2 against spread teams. The TE for chilly was at LB stuffing the run. ;)

in my opinion the scrimmage was 1) Chilly 2) VC 3)PW 4) Col S. The muddy conditions benefited the defense. And Chillys defense stood out in all the scrimmages i saw. The mud really slowed down the offenses so i dont think we got to see everyones best.

Yes West will travel well. Didn’t know West/VC was on for next year. That’s a good series. West will return a good team next year

Yes it was a good scrimmage. Teams are working on things and different teams approach these different ways. I know one of West’s best linemen was out so that effected what they did. But they know they can line up and run power with Sissel so they didn’t run him much. And after the first series with Chillicothe they probably could have done that against Columbus South or Vinton County and I don’t think either would’ve ever stopped it. Chillicothe came out stacking the box and West was trying some stuff up front. Week 1 you have to do that to stop the run especially in this conditions. First scrimmage it kinda leaves you scratching your head wondering if they legitimately play that kind of defense but maybe they do. Did not notice the Tight End for Chillicothe.

Return to “Football”