Waverly Tiger Football 2022

Omega
SEOPS H

Waverly Tiger Football 2022

Post by Omega »

50 days until the season starts and there has been scant discussion on the prospects for Waverly's 2022 gridiron campaign. Maybe folks in the know can flesh out the details on whether or not the Tigers can achieve another winning season, be competitive in the SOC2, and qualify for the playoffs:

WAVERLY SCHEDULE
8/19/2022 A Washington CH Miami Trace
8/26/2022 A Johnstown-Monroe
9/2/2022 H Chillicothe Unioto
9/9/2022 H Chillicothe
9/16/2022 A Johnson Central Ky
9/23/2022 H Portsmouth West
9/30/2022 A Lucasville Valley
10/7/2022 H Wheelersburg
10/14/2022 A Minford
10/21/2022 H Oak Hill, OH

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly Tiger Football 2022

Post by smurray »

Starting the season 3-2 with that schedule would be great.
The league is looking like Wheelersburg & West are the top 2 contenders with Valley, Minford and Waverly fighting for 3-5. Valley may have an edge for that 3rd spot heading into the season.
I think the Tigers have great potential and obviously won’t be slinging the ball 30+ times per game.
With the entire offensive line returning and several great running backs, Waverly should be very successful on the ground. Waverly will have some very nice receivers so hopefully the Tigers can work in enough passing to the pressure off the running game and not allow people to stack the box.
The loss of Robertson hurt but the Tigers will have several options at linebacker and DE’s should be very good.
I haven’t heard who will be stepping in the defensive backfield.

I’m hearing 6-4 will be a good year…..

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

This season is going to come down to the development of the QB, can the young sophomore lead the way and do just enough to keep teams honest. With everything that Wavely returns up front and the RBs that return they should be in each and every game. Not sure who is going to start at the WR positions, but I think you're going to see anywhere between 5-6 guys rotating around early on to see who can do what. One thing they do have is they have a couple of young speedsters out there should teams decide to play up close. Defensively losing Robertson hurts because he was always around the ball, with Crabtree moving to LB this year they're going to have to have 2 new DE's stepping up this season. In the secondary H. Kelley is probably the only locked in starter, depending on what they decide to do with P. Harris the secondary could be another position filled with youth across the board. Waverly is coming into this season being a very veteran based team in the trenches and in the front 7 of the defense and they'll probably be adding a lot of youth and speed to that equation so hopefully the 2 will mesh and the youngsters can step up.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Didn’t some of those big time stars that pushed Waverly sports of late. Both football and basketball. Gone to graduation?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

countywide35 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 pm Didn’t some of those big time stars that pushed Waverly sports of late. Both football and basketball. Gone to graduation?
A few did!

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

smurray wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm Starting the season 3-2 with that schedule would be great.
The league is looking like Wheelersburg & West are the top 2 contenders with Valley, Minford and Waverly fighting for 3-5. Valley may have an edge for that 3rd spot heading into the season.
I think the Tigers have great potential and obviously won’t be slinging the ball 30+ times per game.
With the entire offensive line returning and several great running backs, Waverly should be very successful on the ground. Waverly will have some very nice receivers so hopefully the Tigers can work in enough passing to the pressure off the running game and not allow people to stack the box.
The loss of Robertson hurt but the Tigers will have several options at linebacker and DE’s should be very good.

Waverly will be very good .

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:36 pm
smurray wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm Starting the season 3-2 with that schedule would be great.

Waverly will be very good .
I believe the Tigers have the potential to be very good…
As always, they will be in great shape!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Coach Crabtree has built an outstanding program in Tigertown

It will definitely be a different look, but that offensive line and RB’s like Hurd are going to be very difficult to stop.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

It’s going to be interesting for sure because there’s also been talk that you might not see much of a offensive philosophy switch. Push comes to shove they’re going to hand their hats on that o-line and the running game but if the QB can prove to handle things there might not be this huge shift most think is going to happen.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:06 pm It’s going to be interesting for sure because there’s also been talk that you might not see much of a offensive philosophy switch. Push comes to shove they’re going to hand their hats on that o-line and the running game but if the QB can prove to handle things there might not be this huge shift most think is going to happen.
Unless they are changing course with the QB situation, he’ll just be a sophomore with no real meaningful game time experience. I hear he has grown an inch or two and a few pounds but he can’t be expected to go out there and sling it 30 times a game. Tigers have too good of an offensive line and stable of running backs to do that.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

smurray wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:52 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:06 pm It’s going to be interesting for sure because there’s also been talk that you might not see much of a offensive philosophy switch. Push comes to shove they’re going to hand their hats on that o-line and the running game but if the QB can prove to handle things there might not be this huge shift most think is going to happen.
Unless they are changing course with the QB situation, he’ll just be a sophomore with no real meaningful game time experience. I hear he has grown an inch or two and a few pounds but he can’t be expected to go out there and sling it 30 times a game. Tigers have too good of an offensive line and stable of running backs to do that.
I still think they sling it more than ppl realize, Waverly probably really haven’t been a 30 times a game team though. I can easily see him throwing it in that 15-20 range, just a little less down the field stuff than ppl are used to. I get the feeling that a lot of ppl in the area are writing off the WRs with Penn and Will gone. They’re still going to trot out 2-3 guys in that 6-2/3 range.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:20 am
I still think they sling it more than ppl realize, Waverly probably really haven’t been a 30 times a game team though. I can easily see him throwing it in that 15-20 range, just a little less down the field stuff than ppl are used to. I get the feeling that a lot of ppl in the area are writing off the WRs with Penn and Will gone. They’re still going to trot out 2-3 guys in that 6-2/3 range.
Yes, Waverly will field some very nice receivers as well as a stable of running backs.
It’s hard to “replace” the WR’s they lost to graduation but the orange and black will have a few to throw it to.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

smurray wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:30 pm

Yes, Waverly will field some very nice receivers as well as a stable of running backs.
It’s hard to “replace” the WR’s they lost to graduation but the orange and black will have a few to throw it to.
Agree , don’t act like waverly is some underdog.

No ones buying that

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ed Gennero wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:18 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:30 pm

Agree , don’t act like waverly is some underdog.

No ones buying that
I’m just saying what most people are predicting.
When it comes to the league must are picking Wheelersburg, West, Valley and Minford over Waverly,

Tigernation2021
Varsity

The answers to a lot of questions out there for the tigers will start to unfold here very soon.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021
Varsity

smurray wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 pm
Sweet, camp starts up Monday morning so it's time to start painting the picture for 2022. Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I heard the guy say Hudson at the helm and not Mason. Crabtree is 100% right when talking about the youngsters they have on the team and how they'll have to step up.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Waverly's got a tough schedule, they're really going to have to lean on that line and the running game. I look for Waverly to be in that 5-6 win range possibly 6-7 depending on how quickly the new guys figure things out.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:23 pm Waverly's got a tough schedule, they're really going to have to lean on that line and the running game. I look for Waverly to be in that 5-6 win range possibly 6-7 depending on how quickly the new guys figure things out.
Every Ohio team on their schedule looks to be improved from 2021 and the contest at Johnson Central could be a back breaker. I believe you and Smurray are spot on seeing six wins as an excellent season for the Tigers.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:27 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 pm
Sweet, camp starts up Monday morning so it's time to start painting the picture for 2022. Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I heard the guy say Hudson at the helm and not Mason. Crabtree is 100% right when talking about the youngsters they have on the team and how they'll have to step up.
He said it wrong. Hudson is playing WR and Mason is playing QB

Return to “Football”