What’s other SE Ohio Teams besides Ironton have going on?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

What’s other SE Ohio Teams besides Ironton have going on?

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Since everyone loves to get on Ironton, what’s other Southeast Ohio teams have going on this off season besides Ironton? What’s your expectations for your team for next season?

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Re: What’s other SE Ohio Teams besides Ironton have going on?

Post by OVCFan1 »

Nothing, the only team in the SEO area that matters is Ironton.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Nothing it’s all ironton. Other teams have heard about all the D1 prospects and have mailed it in and will skip summer workouts and just report mid AUGUST. All the real football players have transferred to ironton anyway.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Is Ironton still a public school or is it private like an academy school? Just curious.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I guess it’s just not to be, nobody wants to talk about their own schools as the thread suggests.

Keep on topic please!!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I'll talk about some things Valley has going on. They have a few athletes, Bryce Stuart and Justin Moore, going to state in track. Both are going in field events, Bryce in high jump and Justin in Shot put. Justin has also been busy with college visits and workouts for various D1 schools. He has participated in multiple camps so far and doing well in those. Other athletes are getting looks/signing to play at the next level as well. The baseball team plays today in the regional semi final. They also just opened the new indoor facility. I think the new staff with the football team will do a good job of getting these kids some exposure and they will work hard to put a competitive team on the field this fall. The soccer team will be good again, I think. The softball team had a respectable season under first year coach Kayla Taulbee. Looking forward to more success in the years to come, but they played hard and improved a lot over the year. I'm sure Cameron Phillips from the gold team will be winning some tournaments this summer and look for him to have a successful fall. I think that's about all I can think of going on around Valley right now. Def some good things going on.
Last edited by transplant on Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:46 am I guess it’s just not to be, nobody wants to talk about their own schools as the thread suggests.

Keep on topic please!!
THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!!!! WE NEED TO DO AS IRONTON SAYS!! I GUESS I WILL START.

Cadmus should be loaded this year - with Hezekiah Yoder (sophomore) taking the helm this season at QB and his cousin Malachi (WR) at WR we look to have a great passing game! the line consisting of Bill Roper C - 212lbs, Bobby Jenkins T-217lbs, Agustus Schimmer -T 6'7" 285 and nimble as a cat, Logan Yoder - no relation to the other Yoders, different sect at G-217lbs and Amos Hershberger G -185lbs of pure mean, should provide ample blocking for the talented FB - Andy Burkholder and returning all-state tail back John DeMarco who has D1 offers coming from Indiana, Purdue, Clemson and Toledo so far with heightened interest from Marshall and Georgia, we Should be a handful to deal with. This team is looking for some Ends to complete this talented group of young men who will obviously go both ways as they only have 17 players that we know of so far this upcoming season, however, there is talk of getting a transfer in from Hannan Trace (Bobby-Jack Wheeler) which would cause terrible friction between these two communities...

Our kicking game may be our weak link this season to going deep in the playoffs...

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

GalliaTribe wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:39 am Is Ironton still a public school or is it private like an academy school? Just curious.
Ironton academy of physical education.
IAPE 😂

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth Trojans are looking to make the playoffs for the 4th year in a row, but have to fill some key losses, including QB Drew Roe, WR Daryionne Bryant, and WR Donovan Carr. On defense, Amari Johnson and Jayvon Zorborg will be missed. DT Leo Poxes returns, though, and he gave Ironton all they could handle in the playoffs.

The Trojans' offense should still be productive, with QB Tyler Duncan succeeding Roe, and RB Beau Hammond coming back as well. WR's Jayden Duncan and Reade Pendleton should give Tyler Duncan good targets to throw to. All around athlete Devin Lattimore has shown the ability to be a gamebreaker in the open field. The O-line returns only a couple, so it's critical to fill those spots.

Portsmouth gave Ironton a stiff test at the Tank in the playoffs, only losing 17-6, playing basically without Drew Roe. It was 10-6 in the 4th quarter before the Fighting Tigers put the game away with a late TD. Tyler Duncan threw the TD pass for the Trojans' only score.

Participation numbers were up slightly last season, and hopefully we'll see at least a slight increase in 2022. PHS went 8-4 last season, losing to Waverly and Fairland by only 1 point. A winning season in possible if the defense can repeat the good performance they had in 2021.

In the OVC, it's obviously Ironton as the team to beat. The biggest challenge for IHS may come in week 1 at Ed Miller Stadium. Not much noise coming out of Wheelersburg, but I can bet that playoff win over Ironton last season has given them a lot of confidence when they host the Fighting Tigers.

GO TROJANS!!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Portsmouth might give some OVC teams all they want with the over all speed and quickness !!!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Does Portsmouth have any incoming freshman that will be ready to contribute next year?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Looking for a good season in West Portsmouth. Numbers were near 50 on Monday, which is great compared to the past couple years. Should be a very experienced Senior lead team.

Sissel will be the power back. He's had some visits to some good size schools like Pitt but don't hear much about that unless you are another orange and black school. LOTS of other backs that should see some carries this year as well. 4 players went to regional in track which is very rare for our school. Definitely will have some speed. Irwin should be poised for a great year. Our ability to run and throw the ball against Burg last year in the playoffs just about gave us the upset win. Hopefully can find a go to receiver.

Defense should be solid. As with most years, covering the pass is our biggest issues. Screens and widening the offense out is where we typically struggle, not stooping the run.

A young ,rejuvenated coaching staff has brought a new spark I think. They do great at promoting the kids on social media. Other schools are doing it, so we have to play along as well. The kids like seeing it, and have had several schools come and watch workouts.

It will be almost 2 years since we've seen a game played at The Rock. Field looks beautiful ,the fans and obviously the kids are ready to see a game there. Expectations are high, but the schedule they have should be in their favor. With no hiccups along the way, it should be a week 10 battle for the SOC .
Last edited by SiderBlood on Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

transplant: I am not all that familiar with the incoming freshmen class, but a few names to watch include Dontavion Parker, Caleb Johnson, Marquez Locklear, and Landon Malone. They probably won't see varsity action in the first year unless absolutely needed, but these kids are all around good athletes, including basketball and track. Parker this past track season set the PJHS record for the high jump.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

transplant wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:58 am I'll talk about some things Valley has going on. They have a few athletes, Bryce Stuart and Justin Moore, going to state in track. Both are going in field events, Bryce in high jump and Justin in Shot put. Justin has also been busy with college visits and workouts for various D1 schools. He has participated in multiple camps so far and doing well in those. Other athletes are getting looks/signing to play at the next level as well. The baseball team plays today in the regional semi final. They also just opened the new indoor facility. I think the new staff with the football team will do a good job of getting these kids some exposure and they will work hard to put a competitive team on the field this fall. The soccer team will be good again, I think. The softball team had a respectable season under first year coach Kayla Taulbee. Looking forward to more success in the years to come, but they played hard and improved a lot over the year. I'm sure Cameron Phillips from the gold team will be winning some tournaments this summer and look for him to have a successful fall. I think that's about all I can think of going on around Valley right now. Def some good things going on.
Awesome, sounds like some great stuff happening at Valley. Good luck to those still playing at the State level. How’s the indoor facility look and what all is in it?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:47 pm Looking for a good season in West Portsmouth. Numbers were near 50 on Monday, which is great compared to the past couple years. Should be a very experienced Senior lead team.

Sissel will be the power back. He's had some visits to some good size schools like Pitt but don't hear much about that unless you are another orange and black school. LOTS of other backs that should see some carries this year as well. 4 players went to regional in track which is very rare for our school. Definitely will have some speed. Irwin should be poised for a great year. Our ability to run and throw the ball against Burg last year in the playoffs just about gave us the upset win. Hopefully can find a go to receiver.

Defense should be solid. As with most years, covering the pass is our biggest issues. Screens and widening the offense out is where we typically struggle, not stooping the run.

A young ,rejuvenated coaching staff has brought a new spark I think. They do great at promoting the kids on social media. Other schools are doing it, so we have to play along as well. The kids like seeing it, and have had several schools come and watch workouts.

It will be almost 2 years since we've seen a game played at The Rock. Field looks beautiful ,the fans and obviously the kids are ready to see a game there. Expectations are high, but the schedule they have should be in their favor. With no hiccups along the way, it should be a week 10 battle for the SOC .
Some great stuff, heard some great things about Sissel, awesome they are back at the Rock playing, everyone has got to be excited about that. Good luck!!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

trojandave wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:33 am transplant: I am not all that familiar with the incoming freshmen class, but a few names to watch include Dontavion Parker, Caleb Johnson, Marquez Locklear, and Landon Malone. They probably won't see varsity action in the first year unless absolutely needed, but these kids are all around good athletes, including basketball and track. Parker this past track season set the PJHS record for the high jump.
I’m guessing Parker and Malone are related to the Parkers and Malones that have came through Portsmouth? Some good ball players in both of those families.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:28 pm
transplant wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:58 am I'll talk about some things Valley has going on. They have a few athletes, Bryce Stuart and Justin Moore, going to state in track. Both are going in field events, Bryce in high jump and Justin in Shot put. Justin has also been busy with college visits and workouts for various D1 schools. He has participated in multiple camps so far and doing well in those. Other athletes are getting looks/signing to play at the next level as well. The baseball team plays today in the regional semi final. They also just opened the new indoor facility. I think the new staff with the football team will do a good job of getting these kids some exposure and they will work hard to put a competitive team on the field this fall. The soccer team will be good again, I think. The softball team had a respectable season under first year coach Kayla Taulbee. Looking forward to more success in the years to come, but they played hard and improved a lot over the year. I'm sure Cameron Phillips from the gold team will be winning some tournaments this summer and look for him to have a successful fall. I think that's about all I can think of going on around Valley right now. Def some good things going on.
Awesome, sounds like some great stuff happening at Valley. Good luck to those still playing at the State level. How’s the indoor facility look and what all is in it?
I posted some pictures and stuff in a thread on here....its a beautiful facility.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BuckeyeBlood: Dontavion and Landon are part of the Parker/Malone family trees. As you said, a lot of very good athletes have come from those 2 families.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:28 pm The Portsmouth Trojans are looking to make the playoffs for the 4th year in a row, but have to fill some key losses, including QB Drew Roe, WR Daryionne Bryant, and WR Donovan Carr. On defense, Amari Johnson and Jayvon Zorborg will be missed. DT Leo Poxes returns, though, and he gave Ironton all they could handle in the playoffs.

The Trojans' offense should still be productive, with QB Tyler Duncan succeeding Roe, and RB Beau Hammond coming back as well. WR's Jayden Duncan and Reade Pendleton should give Tyler Duncan good targets to throw to. All around athlete Devin Lattimore has shown the ability to be a gamebreaker in the open field. The O-line returns only a couple, so it's critical to fill those spots.

Portsmouth gave Ironton a stiff test at the Tank in the playoffs, only losing 17-6, playing basically without Drew Roe. It was 10-6 in the 4th quarter before the Fighting Tigers put the game away with a late TD. Tyler Duncan threw the TD pass for the Trojans' only score.

Participation numbers were up slightly last season, and hopefully we'll see at least a slight increase in 2022. PHS went 8-4 last season, losing to Waverly and Fairland by only 1 point. A winning season in possible if the defense can repeat the good performance they had in 2021.

In the OVC, it's obviously Ironton as the team to beat. The biggest challenge for IHS may come in week 1 at Ed Miller Stadium. Not much noise coming out of Wheelersburg, but I can bet that playoff win over Ironton last season has given them a lot of confidence when they host the Fighting Tigers.

GO TROJANS!!

Good stuff Save I look for another competitive season ahead for the Trojans football team ,I think Duncan will do a good job at qb and he has some talented receivers to help him I think the running game will be good this year also .

I knoticed the Gerold Cadogan football camp had a ton of kids out from all ages its great to see.more and more kids coming out for football at portsmouth and especially in the summer .

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

coop wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:27 am
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:28 pm
I posted some pictures and stuff in a thread on here....its a beautiful facility.
Thanks, I’ll check them out.

Return to “Football”