It’s a Great Day

XandOs
Varsity

Re: It’s a Great Day

Post by XandOs »

Kirtland won 54 straight games. Kirtland had kids that if they played at Ironton they would have went D1. Pickerington Central had more D1 kids than anyone last year and was done the same week as Ironton.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

D1 is mostly about size and measurables mixed with the right contacts. D1 doesn’t seem to perfectly translate into high school football stud. Not uncommon for the 6’0 QB or the 6’0 4.8 LB to dominate on the field of high school football but nary a prayer of playing on the field for a D1 team.

If you are a sculpted 6’6 and have good contacts and have ran enough 40 yard dashes in your underwear…..you can pretty much pick your school. If you are 6’2….it’s not happening.

To me D1 used to mean….you could bring basically bring anyone of any knowledge level of football and they could sit at the game with you and pick out the D1 player on the field because they completely stood out in dominant fashion on the field. Now it often just means the kid looks great in his uniform and his Dad has the nicest Jeep in town.

This is NOT a slam on D1 kids. Our southern Ohio area has some kids doing well with a free education and competing in the big time D1 schools….but man I’ve seen a lot of kids with elite size at their position and watch them play and think….there ain’t no way that kid is going to touch the field at (fill in the blank power 5 school) BUT if that kid takes advantage of the full ride and gets through with a free education and great experiences, awesome for him.

I think it would be an interesting thread of where are all the D1’s now, did they finish their schooling?

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

XandOs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 am [media]
OVCFan1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:13 am Maybe it isn’t the Pendleton’s at all, maybe it’s having the Keyes kid on the team whose dad is the lead for a recruiting service....
[/media]

Maybe…. Or maybe it’s all Pendelton and staff. I would bet people would be very surprised on how many coaches in college football know who Pendleton is. It seemed to work out for Carrico and Carter kid even Before Keyes family got here.
Carrico was on the OSU radar prior Pendleton coming to Ironton…your infatuation with the Pendleton name makes you appear to be a family member of some sort…

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:41 am Kirtland won 54 straight games. Kirtland had kids that if they played at Ironton they would have went D1. Pickerington Central had more D1 kids than anyone last year and was done the same week as Ironton.
Kirtland kids would have been D1 recruits if at Ironton? You do realize that everyone knows about Kirtland football? That the schools resides in one of the hottest areas for high school football in the state; lots of recruiters pay attention to that area. Kirtland kids are not getting missed or overlooked.

Losing to a great team like Kirtland is understandable; getting blown out with the talent Ironton has is not.

Losing to a really good Burg team in the playoffs is understandable; losing to a 7-3 young Burg team with the talent Ironton had is not.

There is no excuse for Ironton with the talent they have put on the field to get blown out by Kirtland and lose to a below average Burg team. The coach has responsibility for these results.

As for UA beating Pickerington Central…. Yes PC had more talent, but this was a very good, undefeated UA team with a large senior class. Not anywhere near the same as Burg-Ironton last year.

That said, Ironton will have a huge talent advantage over any team they play this coming season. If Pendleton doesn’t win the state with this team, he may never win one.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

XandOs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:41 am Kirtland won 54 straight games. Kirtland had kids that if they played at Ironton they would have went D1. Pickerington Central had more D1 kids than anyone last year and was done the same week as Ironton.
States like Ohio truthfully don't have a ton of difference between divisions. A d1 ohio team would get SMOKED by any decent south florida program.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Ironman92 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:38 pm D1 is mostly about size and measurables mixed with the right contacts. D1 doesn’t seem to perfectly translate into high school football stud. Not uncommon for the 6’0 QB or the 6’0 4.8 LB to dominate on the field of high school football but nary a prayer of playing on the field for a D1 team.

If you are a sculpted 6’6 and have good contacts and have ran enough 40 yard dashes in your underwear…..you can pretty much pick your school. If you are 6’2….it’s not happening.

To me D1 used to mean….you could bring basically bring anyone of any knowledge level of football and they could sit at the game with you and pick out the D1 player on the field because they completely stood out in dominant fashion on the field. Now it often just means the kid looks great in his uniform and his Dad has the nicest Jeep in town.

This is NOT a slam on D1 kids. Our southern Ohio area has some kids doing well with a free education and competing in the big time D1 schools….but man I’ve seen a lot of kids with elite size at their position and watch them play and think….there ain’t no way that kid is going to touch the field at (fill in the blank power 5 school) BUT if that kid takes advantage of the full ride and gets through with a free education and great experiences, awesome for him.

I think it would be an interesting thread of where are all the D1’s now, did they finish their schooling?
I mean theres just a difference. Carrico was one of the highest rated recruits in Ohio but hes average now in that LB room in Columbus and of all the early enrollee freshmen in his class that came into Ohio State he was one that didnt have the talent to plug in and play like Emeka Ebuka, Treyvon Henderson, Denzel Burke and Marvin Harrison Jr because he was underdeveloped do to him playing against d5 competition. He never had to have better technique and skill in high school cause he could rely on just being physically domimant. Had he maybe spent his senior season at say an IMG and played against higher caliber talent he may have had a faster start. Still tho, I expect he will do just fine. Good work ethic.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Castro,you’re dead wrong on this one.Its harder to start as a true freshman when you’re a lineman or linebacker.There is a lot more contact at these positions than say the skill positions.That is why you see more wr’s start earlier in their careers.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:38 pm D1 is mostly about size and measurables mixed with the right contacts. D1 doesn’t seem to perfectly translate into high school football stud. Not uncommon for the 6’0 QB or the 6’0 4.8 LB to dominate on the field of high school football but nary a prayer of playing on the field for a D1 team.

Good post and I totally agree there's guys out there right now with certain offers and I've seen them play, I've seen the highlights and I'm like yeah he's a good player but he's not _______ (fill in the higher up college) material. It's not a knock on them where ever they end up I'm all for them gaining a free education I just hope those guys go in with that mindset from the get go.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:42 pm

I mean theres just a difference. Carrico was one of the highest rated recruits in Ohio but hes average now in that LB room in Columbus and of all the early enrollee freshmen in his class that came into Ohio State he was one that didnt have the talent to plug in and play like Emeka Ebuka, Treyvon Henderson, Denzel Burke and Marvin Harrison Jr because he was underdeveloped do to him playing against d5 competition. He never had to have better technique and skill in high school cause he could rely on just being physically domimant. Had he maybe spent his senior season at say an IMG and played against higher caliber talent he may have had a faster start. Still tho, I expect he will do just fine. Good work ethic.
Carrico might be the last player I was talking about in my post.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Ironman92 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:28 pm

And?

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Rooting for Tigers is like watching an NFL game-you cheer for the team but few know the players w/o a program.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:19 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:28 pm

And?
I was just clarifying my post (which had parts that might seem insulting, had nothing to do with Carrico)

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:35 pm
States like Ohio truthfully don't have a ton of difference between divisions. A d1 ohio team would get SMOKED by any decent south florida program.
Are you certain about that claim?

Herbstreit Challenge back in the early 2000’s had some of the best teams in the country come to Ohio to play the best in the area. Ohio teams definitely held their own: Elder ended Independence SC 109 game winning streak, Alabama Hoover took some losses, etc.

As for the vaunted Florida teams, Lakeland made the trip one year while ranked #3 nationally. Took them until over time to squeak out a 3 point win over St. Xavier.

So first off, there’s a massive difference in divisions in Ohio. For example: Ironton will never win a game playing a Cincy GCL schedule.

Second, Ohio teams do play top teams in Florida. Have been some awesome games. Sure, Florida has more talent, but Ohio football is no slouch.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

OVCFan1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:59 pm
XandOs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 am [media]
OVCFan1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:13 am Maybe it isn’t the Pendleton’s at all, maybe it’s having the Keyes kid on the team whose dad is the lead for a recruiting service....
[/media]

Maybe…. Or maybe it’s all Pendelton and staff. I would bet people would be very surprised on how many coaches in college football know who Pendleton is. It seemed to work out for Carrico and Carter kid even Before Keyes family got here.
Carrico was on the OSU radar prior Pendleton coming to Ironton…your infatuation with the Pendleton name makes you appear to be a family member of some sort…
I can definitely see that. Maybe it’s his brother?

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Gator B Long wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 am Rooting for Tigers is like watching an NFL game-you cheer for the team but few know the players w/o a program.
True, when does it stop?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

GalliaTribe wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:49 pm
Gator B Long wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 am Rooting for Tigers is like watching an NFL game-you cheer for the team but few know the players w/o a program.
True, when does it stop?
I know who the players are before the first game, I get a program to look at the other team.

Go Fighting Tigers……..

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

RBH23 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:55 am
Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:35 pm
Are you certain about that claim?

Herbstreit Challenge back in the early 2000’s had some of the best teams in the country come to Ohio to play the best in the area. Ohio teams definitely held their own: Elder ended Independence SC 109 game winning streak, Alabama Hoover took some losses, etc.

As for the vaunted Florida teams, Lakeland made the trip one year while ranked #3 nationally. Took them until over time to squeak out a 3 point win over St. Xavier.

So first off, there’s a massive difference in divisions in Ohio. For example: Ironton will never win a game playing a Cincy GCL schedule.

Second, Ohio teams do play top teams in Florida. Have been some awesome games. Sure, Florida has more talent, but Ohio football is no slouch.
Yup. Per kid the talent pool is just not only deeper but it is more athletic. Makes the average better & a lotta the kids fit the modern game better. 💯

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

I’m coming for you bitch.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

I think you've been sipping the tea a little too much.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Since we are tooting our horns…

I’m sure it’s a great day to be a Tiger. Congrats on that!!
But it’s a great day to be a Valley Indian. We are still playing baseball…. 😃
And scrimmaging the only team left in Lawrence county tonight.
So it must be a great day to be a Dragon too…

That is all.

Return to “Football”