Logan Football 2022

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: Logan Football 2022

Post by 1987chieftains »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:35 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am [media][/media]
Dundas wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:21 am

You’re probably right. I think they tried 3 times in the past 10 years or so and never came close to the votes. I don’t see it happening anytime soon. Out of the old SEOAL schools, I could really only see Gallia and Warren as having any shot at all. Logan is just too large for the current setup IMO but I would love to see VC and Logan meet up. It’s been over 50 years since the two have played.
Correct , Jackson will not forget being rejected. They’ll be asked to join in the next 5 years as part of a big division but they won’t forget. Jackson is very happy in the FAC.

VC I don’t think is ready for Logan .
I think if a 3rd division was going to happen, it would’ve happened when the SEOAL dissolved. I’m glad Jackson has a home now and is quite happy. I’d like to see the FAC expand and be around for years to come. Jackson in the current TVC just doesn’t work for either party IMO. Had Jackson joined 5 years ago, they would be undefeated in Conference play to this day. I just don’t see how thats great for anyone.

In regards to VC and Logan, my thought would be play the jamboree game for a few years and see how things go. Use it as a trial run that brings in cash for each school.
might be a good match up. logan is a shell of what it was 12 yrs ago.

AT THE RESERVATION
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:00 am
Wellston Ironman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm

Also heard Jackson and Oak Hill have been contacted.

Zero chance Jackson would ever join the TVC.
You’re probably right. I think they tried 3 times in the past 10 years or so and never came close to the votes. I don’t see it happening anytime soon. Out of the old SEOAL schools, I could really only see Gallia and Warren as having any shot at all. Logan is just too large for the current setup IMO but I would love to see VC and Logan meet up. It’s been over 50 years since the two have played.

Logan vs Vinton County would be a better match up than what the "enrollment number wizards" would lead you to believe. Like 1987 said; Logan is far removed from the Amyx teams and kids just arent playing football any more. There has been a run of kids that have played thru junior high or as freshman and then stop. I dont know why or any reasoning but it happens alot. This past season alone; i think at one point basketball player Tegan Myers played QB through Junior high, Mahaffey may have been a WR, the Frasure kid would of been a great split end. Those are some of the better athletes and they didnt play football for many years. I dont know if and when the Chiefs would ever return to days gone by but they have done a nice job with the teams theyve had to maintain some sort of sustainability for th eprogram but they arent feared like they used to be by any stretch.
I think Logan and VC match up very well on paper and would be a solid game annually.

Live Like A Champion!
*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

Logangrad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:05 am

Logan vs Vinton County would be a better match up than what the "enrollment number wizards" would lead you to believe. Like 1987 said; Logan is far removed from the Amyx teams and kids just arent playing football any more. There has been a run of kids that have played thru junior high or as freshman and then stop. I dont know why or any reasoning but it happens alot. This past season alone; i think at one point basketball player Tegan Myers played QB through Junior high, Mahaffey may have been a WR, the Frasure kid would of been a great split end. Those are some of the better athletes and they didnt play football for many years. I dont know if and when the Chiefs would ever return to days gone by but they have done a nice job with the teams theyve had to maintain some sort of sustainability for th eprogram but they arent feared like they used to be by any stretch.
I think Logan and VC match up very well on paper and would be a solid game annually.
We need to revisit the Logan v. Meigs matchup now that we have real quality coaches running both programs. This could be a big rivalry. I think we should start it back up and have fun with it.

I know, I was D1 fellas
Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

Logangrad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:05 am

That is the question! Why are the best athletes stopping at 8th grade or freshmen? Why when those grades had success and the lower levels, it didn’t translate. When that gets answered than Logan will be fine. Needs to get answered before joining the OCC. Logan could become the Warren of the 2000’s in the occ.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Logan isn’t the only program that is sctratching their heads why at a young age numbers are so good with the results of the good numbers being even better.

Having 30 6th grade kids then constantly have a senior class of 10/11/12 seniors being recognized on senior night.

To me you can’t just put it on one reason but instead there’s several contributing factors why those numbers drop so drastically.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

countywide35 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:51 am Logan isn’t the only program that is sctratching their heads why at a young age numbers are so good with the results of the good numbers being even better.

Having 30 6th grade kids then constantly have a senior class of 10/11/12 seniors being recognized on senior night.

To me you can’t just put it on one reason but instead there’s several contributing factors why those numbers drop so drastically.
You are correct CW35. There are many reasons for dwindling participation numbers in high school football.

One that is rarely mentioned is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room: parental fear of injury, particularly CTE from head trauma.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Sunoco
Riding the Bench

Post by Sunoco »

Omega wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:28 am
countywide35 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:51 am Logan isn’t the only program that is sctratching their heads why at a young age numbers are so good with the results of the good numbers being even better.

You are correct CW35. There are many reasons for dwindling participation numbers in high school football.

One that is rarely mentioned is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room: parental fear of injury, particularly CTE from head trauma.
A lot of times those numbers drop because youth coaches think it's all about winning and only playing a few of the better kids. If the emphasise was on developing kids and keeping as many around as possible the HS numbers will be higher. Just because a kid may not be very good at 12 doesn't mean that they cannot develop into a good football player by the time they are juniors and seniors. I understand there are other factors but a lot of kids quit because they don't get an opportunity to play. Youth through junior high should be about developing not about winning. No one will ever remember what your youth record was only what you did in HS.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

Like to hear your your opinions on why so many players are lost between junior high and high school. I can give you a few.

-Junior high teams of 30-35 kids and playing the same 12 until the last 2 minutes in a 48-0 win.

-the required lifting and other work that goes into varsity football

-players picking a favorite sport and dropping football

-naturally finding other interests in life beside football

Those are some factors , let’s hear yours.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Sunoco wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am

A lot of times those numbers drop because youth coaches think it's all about winning and only playing a few of the better kids. If the emphasise was on developing kids and keeping as many around as possible the HS numbers will be higher. Just because a kid may not be very good at 12 doesn't mean that they cannot develop into a good football player by the time they are juniors and seniors. I understand there are other factors but a lot of kids quit because they don't get an opportunity to play. Youth through junior high should be about developing not about winning. No one will ever remember what your youth record was only what you did in HS.
Bingo

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

beg003 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:30 pm
Sunoco wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am

Bingo
good post

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Albundy33
Riding the Bench

Post by Albundy33 »

I feel that vc right now would beat Logan vc is on the up swing Logan still not got it together

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Albundy33 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 pm I feel that vc right now would beat Logan vc is on the up swing Logan still not got it together
Maybe, but let’s look at things long term. In the last 30 years, VC probably would be 5-25 against the Chiefs. (At best) I would love to see a VC and Logan series start, but the Vikings would definitely need to earn it every year against Logan.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I could be wrong but i think logan will be better this year if they have the talent. Just got a feeling it is about time the culture has taken over and the hard work will begin to pay off

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

svac83 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:51 pm I could be wrong but i think logan will be better this year if they have the talent. Just got a feeling it is about time the culture has taken over and the hard work will begin to pay off
If Logan gets good enough I would like to see them playing Trimble. That would be a good game to see where the teams are and good playoff points. The stadiums would be packed out.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

Post by justlovefootball »

I'm sure people have heard this before, but there is some great talent coming from the youth and middle school classes. As was stated, no way to know if they will stay for high school, but these are some of the most impressive classes of football players that have come through Logan in a very long time. If anyone saw last year's 5/6th grade tomahawk football team you know exactly what I mean. Spread the field and try to cover all the weapons, a very aggressive defense and kids that play without fear. The quarterback makes it tough for any defense. Add that to last year's 7th grade class with some talented players as well as a pretty strong incoming 5th grade class and there could be some good years just down the road.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

justlovefootball wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm I'm sure people have heard this before, but there is some great talent coming from the youth and middle school classes. As was stated, no way to know if they will stay for high school, but these are some of the most impressive classes of football players that have come through Logan in a very long time. If anyone saw last year's 5/6th grade tomahawk football team you know exactly what I mean. Spread the field and try to cover all the weapons, a very aggressive defense and kids that play without fear. The quarterback makes it tough for any defense. Add that to last year's 7th grade class with some talented players as well as a pretty strong incoming 5th grade class and there could be some good years just down the road.

Best post I read about Logan Football on here.

Hope this stays the course.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

There is something that changes the attitude in Jr High . That is the pivotal years where the best athletes decide not to play football and concentrate on other sports . That’s been the case the last 6 or 7 years . If you want to build a successful program that enthusiasm that was in the youth program needs to continue . The big question is how and who has the ability to make sure that happens . Whatever the answer it needs to happen soon because the OCC will be challenging . Go Chiefs !!!!

justlovefootball
Riding the Bench

Post by justlovefootball »

I really wish the high school coach(es) would become somewhat involved in the program down through middle school and youth. Let the kids see what they are working for, get them excited to get there, see what kind of athletes are coming to plan for. Just waiting for the kids to arrive that you know nothing about and saying this is what we are going to do regardless of the athletes you have is not the way to go. Try to get the kids to want to stick with it and play in high school.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

justlovefootball wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:53 am I really wish the high school coach(es) would become somewhat involved in the program down through middle school and youth. Let the kids see what they are working for, get them excited to get there, see what kind of athletes are coming to plan for. Just waiting for the kids to arrive that you know nothing about and saying this is what we are going to do regardless of the athletes you have is not the way to go. Try to get the kids to want to stick with it and play in high school.

Jackson’s Andy Hall and Irontons Trev PendltN. Are involved quite a bit. Both youth programs have close to 150 kids playing youth football and both programs will scrimmage each other because of it Aug 13.

The scrimmages will be held between 8 teams.

4-3/4th grade teams

4-5/6th grade teams

Will be split among the two sites. One set of teams will play in Jackson. One set of teams will play in Ironton.

Irontons youth program was just accepted into the SOFL (Southern Ohio Football League) and Jackson is in the LOHC (Little Ohio Heritage Conference). Both leagues are with the teams they play later on down the road in high school.

Only Makes sense for the programs to get together prior to start of their regular season league play and ensure each other is playing at that high level Jackson/Ironton demands.

Even though Jackson/Ironton youth programs are in different conferences they too will collide under the lights of Friday Night down the road.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:15 am
svac83 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:51 pm I could be wrong but i think logan will be better this year if they have the talent. Just got a feeling it is about time the culture has taken over and the hard work will begin to pay off
If Logan gets good enough I would like to see them playing Trimble. That would be a good game to see where the teams are and good playoff points. The stadiums would be packed out.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Football”