OVC Expansion

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: OVC Expansion

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:01 pm Understandable but unfortunately the numbers simply don't support your basis of not changing leagues based on "pride". If this were the case the kids from these families you mention would be coming out and the numbers wouldn't be dropping as far as they are nor would the talent. They literally had 15 kids on JH this year and for a DV school that's awful. Your referencing cut and running but they'd be running off to a TVC where they "might" be more competitive at least have a better shot at it, they're not cutting and running back to a league like SOC1 where the beat everyone down. They're going to take losses in the TVC they're going to take losses in the OVC where they are at right now from a competitive standpoint they at least know going in they'd have a shot in most games in the TVC. Right now with what SOC2 is putting out there and the teams coming up they're the cellar dweller it's a harsh reality but that's just facts. They're not in a rut or coming up on a upward swing they're down there for the next 5-6 years at least.
Football they are going to lose against whoever for a while….they had 15 boys and advanced to the regionals in D2 in XC for first time in who knows when. Coach Anna Allen (Ramey) has a great thing going with some of their better kids and athletes. Guessing Oak Hill biddee football isn’t super strong with low numbers in grades 7-12. I don’t know, maybe those families have moved over the years and not as much to choose from as in the past. I still don’t see them moving leagues for really any reason.

As I think about it….most of the athletes and popular sporting families from back in my day and the next decade, they are successful people with good families that don’t reside in Oak Hill.

I’ll root for OH wherever they are. I do t see the dire need to change sports conferences when they already have a league. Sports are so much more important to us southern Ohio folks than most everywhere else in Ohio. Maybe the Oak Hill kids and families aren’t hell bent on sports successes like many of us. Maybe they are hell bent on getting jobs early or learning a trade to put gas in their trucks.

I’m only for going to a league if it’s way better scenario (factoring everything) or mainly if you simply do not have a league.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

OH is not going to the TVC anytime soon, so people can put that to bed. Also, OVC is not an option or they wouldve already responded to the official invite OVC put out, so put that to Bed. SOC is where they will stay. Only change will be if they come up with options to make 3 or 4 divisions by adding teams, but that is not happening anytime soon either.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:41 pm OH is not going to the TVC anytime soon, so people can put that to bed. Also, OVC is not an option or they wouldve already responded to the official invite OVC put out, so put that to Bed. SOC is where they will stay. Only change will be if they come up with options to make 3 or 4 divisions by adding teams, but that is not happening anytime soon either.
“Like”

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

baseball16 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:41 pm OH is not going to the TVC anytime soon, so people can put that to bed. Also, OVC is not an option or they wouldve already responded to the official invite OVC put out, so put that to Bed. SOC is where they will stay. Only change will be if they come up with options to make 3 or 4 divisions by adding teams, but that is not happening anytime soon either.
Yeah that's pretty obvious it's not happening, which really wasn't the discussion in terms of the OH it was more of a where would they be better off at discussion. No one actually thought they were leaving SOC, just like no one actually thinks the SOC is going to try and add teams and split up divisions. It's just another hypothetical discussion considering it's the month of June and we're having a nice talk that doesn't involve certain other teams. So it's ok to speculate and discuss it's what the forum is for.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Hypothetical. Meigs, Wellston, RV, OH, GA, VC, maybe Piketon?

Obviously incomplete, but should be a solid starting place.

Piketon would definitely be the outlier in distance, but even from the furthest potential league member in Meigs, it's an hour and 15 minutes. Roughly an hour from McArthur. Less than an hour from Gallipolis and Bidwell. 45 minutes or so from Oak Hill and Wellston.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:44 am Hypothetical. Meigs, Wellston, RV, OH, GA, VC, maybe Piketon?

Piketon would definitely be the outlier in distance, but even from the furthest potential league member in Meigs, it's an hour and 15 minutes. Roughly an hour from McArthur. Less than an hour from Gallipolis and Bidwell. 45 minutes or so from Oak Hill and Wellston.

Alexander would probably be a better option than Piketon travel wise.

Then again, why not just invite OH and Gallia to the TVC?

Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Gallia
Meigs
Nelsonville york (football only)
Oak Hill
River Valley
wellston

Hocking

Belpre
Eastern
Fed Hock
Nelsonville york (all other sports)
Southern
Trimble
Waterford
(Bring back) Miller

OVC would be looking for a Gallia replacement and could possibly try and steal someone from the SOC. Or flip RV back to the OVC?

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Still believe Ironton will be leaving the OVC sooner than later.
Not saying it is a smart choice but it is the logical one.
GA is happy in the OVC at the moment and really the only team that gives Ironton a fight is fairland and Portsmouth every now and then.
Even Gallia can't do that and that is no swipe at them.
Ironton wants to win the big prize and the OVC just don't prepare them for that.
Question is will they allow Ironton to stay in the OVC in all sports or not.
Right now it's a split between the other teams and I fear they will eventually say no thank you to the other sports.
Ironton will have to travel for games in Football but I think they will be ok as a independent in other sports.
You have many local area teams they can schedule from Carter county in KY to several Ohio teams.
Ironton football isn't down as they was when they joined the OVC and don't look to be losing any steam going forward.
The OVC tried to expand more to accommodate Ironton than to grow in all reality and the SOC don't want nothing to do with Ironton Wheelersburg yes but that is about it Waverly may but doubtful.
And the question is how long will Ironton and burg continue to play.
Everyone thought the Ironton and Ashland game would never be stopped but it has as far as Portsmouth that game is probably the safest game to continue long term.
And I'm not taking a swipe at Burg I do not know what the higher ups think of Ironton but as Ironton improves with getting players and winning bigger games local teams will simply wonder if the game is worth it to them to keep playing.
Success is a rather bitter pill Ironton isn't the first to taste it nor will they be the last.
I do wish all the local teams success regardless of where they go and who they play SE Ohio needs to support one and all from the OVC to the SOC to the TVC and so forth.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

fielddaddy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:59 pm Still believe Ironton will be leaving the OVC sooner than later.
GA is happy in the OVC at the moment and really the only team that gives Ironton a fight is fairland and Portsmouth every now and then.
Ironton wants to win the big prize and the OVC just don't prepare them for that.
Right now it's a split between the other teams and I fear they will eventually say no thank you to the other sports.
Ironton will have to travel for games in Football but I think they will be ok as a independent in other sports.
You have many local area teams they can schedule from Carter county in KY to several Ohio teams.
Ironton football isn't down as they was when they joined the OVC and don't look to be losing any steam going forward.
The OVC tried to expand more to accommodate Ironton than to grow in all reality and the SOC don't want nothing to do with Ironton Wheelersburg yes but that is about it Waverly may but doubtful.
Everyone thought the Ironton and Ashland game would never be stopped but it has as far as Portsmouth that game is probably the safest game to continue long term.
And I'm not taking a swipe at Burg I do not know what the higher ups think of Ironton but as Ironton improves with getting players and winning bigger games local teams will simply wonder if the game is worth it to them to keep playing.
Success is a rather bitter pill Ironton isn't the first to taste it nor will they be the last.
I do wish all the local teams success regardless of where they go and who they play SE Ohio needs to support one and all from the OVC to the SOC to the TVC and so forth.
Absolutely agree with your last statement. 👏👏

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:57 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:59 pm Still believe Ironton will be leaving the OVC sooner than later.
Absolutely agree with your last statement. 👏👏
Same 👌

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:32 pm
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:44 am Hypothetical. Meigs, Wellston, RV, OH, GA, VC, maybe Piketon?

Alexander would probably be a better option than Piketon travel wise.

Then again, why not just invite OH and Gallia to the TVC?

Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Gallia
Meigs
Nelsonville york (football only)
Oak Hill
River Valley
wellston

Hocking

Belpre
Eastern
Fed Hock
Nelsonville york (all other sports)
Southern
Trimble
Waterford
(Bring back) Miller

OVC would be looking for a Gallia replacement and could possibly try and steal someone from the SOC. Or flip RV back to the OVC?
Agree agree agree. Conference trade of RV and GA? I'm sure RV doesn't much care for playing GA. Lot of bad blood there.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

RV had very little success in the OVC outside of XC and VB. The same can be said for GA, they are successful in boys soccer, VB and maybe baseball but for being the biggest school in the ovc i could see them looking for easier opponents. Now if ironton left, they would have a chance at football every couple of years.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I thiik gallia academy has been fairly successful with football and basketball in the conference. if you look what dumpster fire those programs were in when they joined the OVC

OVC Champ
Waterboy

Post by OVC Champ »

Ironton barely beat Fairland and scraped by Portsmouth. It’s not like they dominated everyone. They didn’t win the conference in baseball or basketball either so not like the are dominating the OVC. This past year anyways.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

OVC Champ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:00 pm
Ironton barely beat Fairland and scraped by Portsmouth. It’s not like they dominated everyone. They didn’t win the conference in baseball or basketball either so not like the are dominating the OVC. This past year anyways.
They dont dominate anything except football. Id like to see a list of ovc titles they have won since they joined. Its a few, but not many.

JosephLeeB9
Waterboy

Post by JosephLeeB9 »

need to go Independent in football. They want it and OVC needs to let em do it

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

OVC Champ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:00 pm
Ironton played without their QB one last year against a very decent Fairland team.
And lost the QB one against Portsmouth in the playoffs which was a big blow to them in the playoffs and hurt them against a very much improved Wheelersburg.
I never said they was great in the other sports in the OVC but they are going to improve every year in football and the OVC will not be able to consistently offer the competition needed to win a state title.
I have nothing against the OVC but Ironton needs better teams to be stacked up against and that is simply a fact.
Kirkland showed it twice and this year the schedule is a little better but still needs to be stronger.
Rock Hill Chesapeake South Point and Gallia at this point isn't going to do it and Portsmouth is a very old rivalry and Fairland is a fine football team but can they compete year in and year out I don't know.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

I think The OVC needs to be Expanded to at least 12 teams

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
SEOPS_Censors
Waterboy

Post by SEOPS_Censors »

If Ironton moves up to d4 next season, I can't imagine staying in the OVC.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

OVC could pick up a few schools from the SOC and the SOC could go to one division.

TVC needs so go with eight teams and the rest start a new conference.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:15 pm OVC could pick up a few schools from the SOC and the SOC could go to one division.

TVC needs so go with eight teams and the rest start a new conference.
The TVC is just fine thank you.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”