Jim Thorpe at Tanks Memorial Stadium

henrysteele
JV Team

Jim Thorpe at Tanks Memorial Stadium

Post by henrysteele »

Ironton's iconic football stadium has seen a lot of big moments, but the biggest day might have been when Jim Thorpe played on the field in front of the covered bleachers.

This is my story on Jim Thorpe and his game at Tanks Memorial Stadium. The story is over 22,000 words, and in pdf. Story has a strong Portsmouth-Ironton narrative, and there are a lot of details on Jim's life which was full of sharp ups and downs.

https://irontongridironlegends.wordpres ... o-ironton/

Thorpe is one of the biggest names in the history of sports. Incredible to think he once played here in Ironton.

https://irontongridironlegends.files.wo ... ronton.pdf

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Jim Thorpe at Tanks Memorial Stadium

Post by Omega »

Intriguing read!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Wouldn’t he have also played at Spartan Stadium in Portsmouth? The Spartans had to have played Canton sometime when he was on the team.

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

Universal Stadium, now Spartan Municipal Stadium, was completed after Thorpe's one season in Portsmouth. Thorpe played at Labold Field in Portsmouth, which was located in roughly the same area as Spartan Municipal.

Tanks Memorial Stadium just happened to be an almost brand new stadium when Thorpe visited Ironton.

Spartan Municipal Stadium can count the names of Grange and Nagurski among its many visiting HOF performers.

Return to “Football”