Round 3 Archbishop McNicholas (5-2) at Waverly (7-0)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Round 3 Archbishop McNicholas (5-2) at Waverly (7-0)

Post by smurray »

What’s the thoughts on this one?
McNicholas coming in with a 27-0 win over Unioto while Waverly took care of business with a 62-14 win over Norwood.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Round 3 Archbishop McNicholas (5-2) at Waverly (7-0)

Post by danicalifornia »

McNick is really fast and physical defensively. Fairly one dimensional on offense. Unioto couldn’t get off the field on 3rd and long, which I think Waverly will be able to.

I think Waverly moves on, not nearly as easily as this week, but by a couple of scores.

Lane52311
Waterboy

Post by Lane52311 »

Waverly by 2 scores

BE UNCOMMON... GO TIGERS!! 🐅
football87
Freshman Team

Post by football87 »

If Waverly is dialed in they will be moving on

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

football87 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:20 am If Waverly is dialed in they will be moving on
This group has been dialed in all year. They have taken no opponent lightly, have done their homework, film study, great practices, HAVE STAYED HEALTHY UNLIKE YEARS PAST, and come out ready to go...
From watching film of Norwood (a couple games) I was surprised of the complete smack down last night. I knew my Tigers could win by 3 of 4 scores but last night was no game from the start.

Next Saturday will be a completely different game and the Tigers will need a complete game.

How does McNicholas compare to Granville and Wheelesburg?

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

McNick plays all D3 schools in the regular season. However, they didn't beat anyone with a winning record until Unioto. Unioto didn't beat anyone with a winning record either. Those sub .500 teams McNick did beat also played a lot of D3 and D2 schools.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am
football87 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:20 am If Waverly is dialed in they will be moving on
This group has been dialed in all year. They have taken no opponent lightly, have done their homework, film study, great practices, HAVE STAYED HEALTHY UNLIKE YEARS PAST, and come out ready to go...
From watching film of Norwood (a couple games) I was surprised of the complete smack down last night. I knew my Tigers could win by 3 of 4 scores but last night was no game from the start.

Next Saturday will be a completely different game and the Tigers will need a complete game.

I’m really not sure. I’ll tell you who they reminded me of a LOT was Adena. They play a very similar style but are faster and a little more athletic across the board. They swarm to the football unlike anything I’ve seen this year. We have 3 pretty good receivers and they couldn’t get any space at all. Little struggled with pressure and no running room all night. First downs felt like touchdowns for us. They have a sophomore running back who is a tank and these guys hit really hard. There were two plays where they hit our ball carrier so hard the officials didn’t know what to do so they just threw a flag. This is a grinder type offense. They never scored quick on us and our defense isn’t great. They went on 3 or maybe 4 drives that lasted close to 7 minutes. 1st and 10 to 2nd and 9 to 3rd and 4 to 4th and 1 and then a first down. This happened all the way down the field on a couple drives. Just wears you out. It was like watching yourself bleed to death from a paper cut.

That being said they don’t have much of a passing game so stop the run and matchup with their athletes on the outside and you guys should be fine. I think offensively you are too talented for them, you just gotta get stops and not let them chew that clock. If coach Crabtree needs me on the sidelines Saturday for any help just have him get me a pass and a headset and I’ll be there

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:47 am

I’m really not sure. I’ll tell you who they reminded me of a LOT was Adena. They play a very similar style but are faster and a little more athletic across the board. They swarm to the football unlike anything I’ve seen this year. We have 3 pretty good receivers and they couldn’t get any space at all. Little struggled with pressure and no running room all night. First downs felt like touchdowns for us. They have a sophomore running back who is a tank and these guys hit really hard. There were two plays where they hit our ball carrier so hard the officials didn’t know what to do so they just threw a flag. This is a grinder type offense. They never scored quick on us and our defense isn’t great. They went on 3 or maybe 4 drives that lasted close to 7 minutes. 1st and 10 to 2nd and 9 to 3rd and 4 to 4th and 1 and then a first down. This happened all the way down the field on a couple drives. Just wears you out. It was like watching yourself bleed to death from a paper cut.

That being said they don’t have much of a passing game so stop the run and matchup with their athletes on the outside and you guys should be fine. I think offensively you are too talented for them, you just gotta get stops and not let them chew that clock. If coach Crabtree needs me on the sidelines Saturday for any help just have him get me a pass and a headset and I’ll be there
Thanks for the info. I knew their starting QB was out for the rest of the season so wasn’t sure about the backup. So pretty much one bruising back carries the load?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 am
mlittle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks for the info. I knew their starting QB was out for the rest of the season so wasn’t sure about the backup. So pretty much one bruising back carries the load?
Yes. They have another shifty back and the backup qb was a starting receiver for them and he can run it too. They will throw if they have to but mainly use him to run a lot of QB draws and some option stuff. He’s quick but not very big.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Never, ever underestimate how fundamentally sound, physically tough, and overly prepared the staff and kids will be from a Catholic school.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Nothing easy about playing teams that begin with “Saint” “Bishop” etc....games with Granville tha burg battled waverly. Made them grow early. And strong. They take care of the first catholic school. But the Catholics will get better. Much better. I think the only thing stopping waverly to the regional game is waverly.

I remember now these group of kids from waverly and they always seemed to be playing the Jackson kids in 3/4 , 5/6 basketball championship games. Pretty sure these are the same kids on the football team now. At the time. I was looking at the kids from Jackson. And thought wow. These kids could really be something. Then watched the battles with waverly. And then thought. Go figure. Best group of athletes I thought I Jackson. 30miles west on 32 in waverly was a group too. That’s about as solid as a group of kids you gonna find. In more than just one sport. Or was a few years ago. I’m assuming they are still all together???
Last edited by countywide35 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:05 am Never, ever underestimate how fundamentally sound, physically tough, and overly prepared the staff and kids will be from a Catholic school.

Geeze. I didn’t read this till after I posted above.

Great statement !

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
football87
Freshman Team

Post by football87 »

Yep, no doubt they've stayed locked in.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Are there any videos of McNicholas against Unioto or Badin?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

smurray wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 pm Are there any videos of McNicholas against Unioto or Badin?
Only thing I can find is their game on 9/11 against Carroll. Looks like they play smash mouth football.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksV80aMTHks

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Waverly 36
Mcnick 14

veer
JV Team

Post by veer »

Waverly 35 - McNick 20

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

31 waverly 17 mcnick

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Waverly 41
McNick 27

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly has had trouble with run defense in years past but this team is just different. Hope they can shut it down this weekend and let the offense go to work like a well oiled machine.
Waverly 31
Catholics 16

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process

Return to “Football”