Since OHSAA playoffs inception in 1972:

Appearances: Ironton 35 Burg 31
Games: Ironton 82 Burg 68
Win/Loss: Ironton 49-33 Burg 39-29
Win pct: Ironton 59.8% Burg 57.4%
Regional Champ: Ironton 12 Burg 8
State RunnerUp: Ironton 7 Burg 0
State Champ: Ironton 2 Burg 2

*Personal note only- IMO, Ironton has played by FAR the better overall competition in these games and yes, I'm old and have been around since before the playoff system was ever invented *
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: IRONTON/BURG : SEO's POST SEASON STANDARD BEARER'S

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironton had great teams back in the day
Last edited by Raider6309 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:53 pm Since OHSAA playoffs inception in 1973:

*Personal note only- IMO, Ironton has played by FAR the better overall competition in these games and yes, I'm old and have been around since before the playoff system was ever invented *
Both of these programs are the standard in southeastern ohio for sure. I would say thats true about Ironton with the competition thing also because they were D3 at one point so i would say those playoff runs had more better teams

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:53 pm Since OHSAA playoffs inception in 1973:

Both of these programs are the standard in southeastern ohio for sure. I would say thats true about Ironton with the competition thing also because they were D3 at one point so i would say those playoff runs had more better teams
From 1972-79 it was " A - AA- AAA " and only 1 team per region was chosen. (Not 4, 8 or 12 which it will be next year and definitely no "everyone gets a playoff patch" opt in like this year). Ironton was "AA" at that time. I've seen Ironton play from the Hal Spears, Rick Boykin era thru today's Carrico, Carter era and the tradition, albeit but a few years in between has been the best in SEO .

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:53 pm Since OHSAA playoffs inception in 1972:

Keep in mind that Burg was a much smaller school than ironton until the late 90s, early 2000s. If you want to compare them as far as head to head, you would probably have to start there. Irontons run from late 70s until early 90s was a great run. Probably should have at least one more state championship in that time

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:20 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:53 pm Since OHSAA playoffs inception in 1972:

Keep in mind that Burg was a much smaller school than ironton until the late 90s, early 2000s. If you want to compare them as far as head to head, you would probably have to start there. Irontons run from late 70s until early 90s was a great run. Probably should have at least one more state championship in that time
Ironton and burg didnt start playing until 90s right? Like first game every year

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Because ironron owns the all time series by what 5 games and if they started playing in the 90s 2000s when they were same size that means burg has a losing record to ironton in the era where ironton is not what they use to be.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Two top notch programs with the history and prestige to back it up.

Looking forward to many more historic battles between these two programs in the future!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Great read

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

played in early 80's 1-2 times

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

fbnut wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:32 am played in early 80's 1-2 times
Did they split those 2 matchups? I thinks it crazy they didnt play more until 90s

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 am Because ironron owns the all time series by what 5 games and if they started playing in the 90s 2000s when they were same size that means burg has a losing record to ironton in the era where ironton is not what they use to be.
Ironton was still a bigger school in the 90s. The thought process back then for burg scheduling Ironton was to get better competition for playoff. Ironton was d3 and burg was d4 back then. Series started in 94. Burg scheduled Portsmouth for the same reason. That started in 92 I believe. It wasn’t until the early 2000s when the enrollment began to drop in ironton and Portsmouth. Think about it. Both those schools had multiple elementary schools in their city now only contain one. Since the early nineties burg has developed quite a bit and the population has increased.

Since the enrollment has evened out, Burg has the higher winning percentage between the schools. Portsmouth eventually dropped burg.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:15 am
MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 am Because ironron owns the all time series by what 5 games and if they started playing in the 90s 2000s when they were same size that means burg has a losing record to ironton in the era where ironton is not what they use to be.
Ironton was still a bigger school in the 90s. The thought process back then for burg scheduling Ironton was to get better competition for playoff. Ironton was d3 and burg was d4 back then. Series started in 94. Burg scheduled Portsmouth for the same reason. That started in 92 I believe. It wasn’t until the early 2000s when the enrollment began to drop in ironton and Portsmouth. Think about it. Both those schools had multiple elementary schools in their city now only contain one. Since the early nineties burg has developed quite a bit and the population has increased.

Since the enrollment has evened out, Burg has the higher winning percentage between the schools. Portsmouth eventually dropped burg.
Burg played portsmouth 3-4 times in mid to late 70’s
Played them in 87-88 as well
They split in 80s and I think burg might have beat them 3 out of 4 in 70’s

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

The way you speak ironton was D2 and burg was D5 the whole time not that much difference between 1 divsion that could be the difference in just a few kids.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:22 am

The way you speak ironton was D2 and burg was D5 the whole time not that much difference between 1 divsion that could be the difference in just a few kids.
Not really. There were only 5 divisions back then. Burg was probably churning out graduating classes between 100 and 115 mark in the nineties. I’m sure ironton And Portsmouth were at least 25 more per class back then, that would be the least. Burg is probably around the 125 to 135 mark now. I’m just guessing but I know it’s more than what it was back then. Burg didn’t want any part of ironton in the 70s and 80s and for good reason. Someone mentioned burg playing Portsmouth in the 80s. Those were probably just to get games on the schedule but I’m sure that burg didn’t want to play them either.

I’m a little bored. I did some research, and glancing at the graduating classes compared in 1981 ironton graduated around 160 that year where burg graduated around 105. In 1986. Ironton graduated around 140 whereas burg graduated around 115. So if that’s the case, it probably started the reverse trends somewhere in the late 80s up until this point. Again I’m a little bored. I find this stuff interesting

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

I had just moved from SEO to C-bus in Aug. of 89' to manage a retail store on 7th and high street just down from the OSU campus. Needless to say, I had an asst. manager run the store as I took a "long lunch" to watch both Ironton and Wheelersburg win State titles at the Shoe that year. It was a good day.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Many big close games and but these are just a few: Ironton handed C.A.P.E. their only loss of the year in regular season 86' when they won state, scored more points against DeSales than anyone in 85' and lost 19-24 in a regional game when DeSales won state in 85, lost to SVSM 12-14 @ state in 88 in a great game that was winnable and the game in 99' against Perkins was the heartbreaker of all heartbreaks. Yep, they've played many great games that fell just short of a win.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Many big close games and but these are just a few: Ironton handed C.A.P.E. their only loss of the year in regular season 86' when they won state, scored more points against DeSales than anyone in 85' and lost 19-24 in a regional game when DeSales won state in 85, lost to SVSM 12-14 @ state in 88 in a great game that was winnable and the game in 99' against Perkins was the heartbreaker of all heartbreaks. Yep, they've played many great games that fell just short of a win.
I Saw the cape game in 86 the ironton alumni officials won that one

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

fbnut wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:27 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:44 pm

I Saw the cape game in 86 the ironton alumni officials won that one
I was there also with my late father who had never been to the Tank before or after. The "Earle of Bruce" flew in on a helo. Great game to watch, Vinnie Clark and Carlos Snow were the leaders of that CAPE team. The officiating, well Ironton did win !!!!! :D

caliron
Waterboy

Post by caliron »

One could add add another appearance for Ironton or at least an asterix. Most people forget that the state made (and admitted to) a calculation error in 72/73 which was both the first year of the playoffs and Lutz' first year. As I recall, this let Uniontown Lake into the playoffs when it should have been Ironton. I was on those first 2 Lutz IHS teams.

Return to “Football”