OHSAA To 'Tighten Purse Strings'...Local Schools Districts To Be Impacted

Post by radiodavel »

OHSAA To 'Tighten Purse Strings'...Local Schools Districts To Be Impacted
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2020 ... e-impacted

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: OHSAA To 'Tighten Purse Strings'...Local Schools Districts To Be Impacted

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Some things I need to research before I will make a comment on this issue. 1. Is the Ohsaa a non profit organization, and are they allowed to maintain a positive balance, like schools do for a rainy day fund? 2. Will the Ohsaa be making cuts to staff and other potential money saving decisions. 3. What are their long term goals for these costs, depending on the situation the country and state are under now.

The only comment I will make is, why didnt they just raise the dues for each member schools instead of the multiple step plan?

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 am Some things I need to research before I will make a comment on this issue. 1. Is the Ohsaa a non profit organization, and are they allowed to maintain a positive balance, like schools do for a rainy day fund? 2. Will the Ohsaa be making cuts to staff and other potential money saving decisions. 3. What are their long term goals for these costs, depending on the situation the country and state are under now.

The only comment I will make is, why didnt they just raise the dues for each member schools instead of the multiple step plan?
A little insight on your questions. Yes OHSAA is considered a non profit organization. Each Board meeting they have a basic balance sheet from each District and the State. The OHSAA has cut staff but to what extend I do not know- all Commissioners did take a pay cut. I have not seen any long term plans- I would guess they are trying to get back on their feet first. The OHSAA does not charge a membership fee- but have put a fee charge on some of the fall sports tournaments- golf, cross country, tennis.
My understanding was they did get a stimulus loan from government prior to replacing commissioner. Also I have heard there is plot of land next to or close to the OHSAA offices that they have considered selling.
Fall sports tournaments are not going to profitable as long as there are restrictions on attendance. Also I think schools are going to be reluctant to host when the football playoffs go to neutral sites. Places that do host will probably charge $5-10 to park to try to get some revenue- games now for the most part are not opening concessions and if they is in place for the playoffs this is a hit to the hosting school. Schools will lose money to host.
These are my observations with football being the sport with the most chance to make a profit. Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Golf usually lose money and I see no way they will make it on 2020- thus the reason the OHSAA is charging a tourney fee for some sports.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 am Some things I need to research before I will make a comment on this issue. 1. Is the Ohsaa a non profit organization, and are they allowed to maintain a positive balance, like schools do for a rainy day fund? 2. Will the Ohsaa be making cuts to staff and other potential money saving decisions. 3. What are their long term goals for these costs, depending on the situation the country and state are under now.

They have already made cuts to staff. Some have been permanently laid off and others have been furloughed.
They are allowed to have a positive balenced.
Long term goals? I think they are just trying to make it through the pandemic. I don't thin no they have any long term goals with these decisions.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

The regional and state dual team wrestling tournaments will be suspended for the 2020-21 school year(although the 83rdseason of the individual wrestling tournaments will continue).
Not sure I understand Why on this one? It's not like they are having a TAG TEAM match and all wrestlers are going at once. Isn't wrestling an individual (Team Sport)?

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:58 am The regional and state dual team wrestling tournaments will be suspended for the 2020-21 school year(although the 83rd season of the individual wrestling tournaments will continue).
Not sure I understand Why on this one? It's not like they are having a TAG TEAM match and all wrestlers are going at once. Isn't wrestling an individual (Team Sport)?

The team state duals in wrestling was created to help put a focus on the team aspect of the sport. The coaches association ran it for the longest then the state took over. Ever since the state took over it has lost the state a lot of money . No wrestling coach is surprised by this move. The individual state tournament can be won with 4 wrestlers as a team. The Team state tournament focus on team vs team and was broken down into regionals like football.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:58 am The regional and state dual team wrestling tournaments will be suspended for the 2020-21 school year(although the 83rdseason of the individual wrestling tournaments will continue).
Dual Wrestling tournament is not as popular and was a money loser last year, and with limited fans would be a much larger money loser next year.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:36 am

They have already made cuts to staff. Some have been permanently laid off and others have been furloughed.
Long term goals? I think they are just trying to make it through the pandemic. I don't thin no they have any long term goals with these decisions.
25% to the Executive Director, all sport administration took a 15% and assistants took 20% pay cuts, retirement funding has been jettisoned into a personal plan and not paid by the association.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

bsee12345 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 am

A little insight on your questions. Yes OHSAA is considered a non profit organization. Each Board meeting they have a basic balance sheet from each District and the State. The OHSAA has cut staff but to what extend I do not know- all Commissioners did take a pay cut. I have not seen any long term plans- I would guess they are trying to get back on their feet first. The OHSAA does not charge a membership fee- but have put a fee charge on some of the fall sports tournaments- golf, cross country, tennis.
My understanding was they did get a stimulus loan from government prior to replacing commissioner. Also I have heard there is plot of land next to or close to the OHSAA offices that they have considered selling.
Fall sports tournaments are not going to profitable as long as there are restrictions on attendance. Also I think schools are going to be reluctant to host when the football playoffs go to neutral sites. Places that do host will probably charge $5-10 to park to try to get some revenue- games now for the most part are not opening concessions and if they is in place for the playoffs this is a hit to the hosting school. Schools will lose money to host.
These are my observations with football being the sport with the most chance to make a profit. Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Golf usually lose money and I see no way they will make it on 2020- thus the reason the OHSAA is charging a tourney fee for some sports.
Pretty good analysis, also, add that there has been no revenue since last November. The fact that they are debt free and still solvent after 9 months of expenses with zero positive revenue is pretty amazing. They have also taken many positive steps to come out leaner and more efficient

SEO Sports
Freshman Team

Post by SEO Sports »

How many of us could make it thus long with no to little income? That's the world we live in. OHSAA is trying to stay afloat.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Hey O&B! Hope you are doing well, buddy! I've read a number of articles about this and to me it boils down to one thing. This is a move of survival for the OHSAA. Let's face it, they are on the cusp of losing the "proverbial golden goose", and if they do, they are done. They will get replaced by someone else with better efficiency and lower overhead. That may happen. Will be interesting to see it play itself out and where the dust finally settles. Bottom line from my point-of-view is that as long as it ends up being better for the kids when we get through this all, then I am in support of whatever direction they go. No one should lose sight that without the kids, there are no games or an OHSAA.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Steely Dan wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 pm

Hey O&B! Hope you are doing well, buddy! I've read a number of articles about this and to me it boils down to one thing. This is a move of survival for the OHSAA. Let's face it, they are on the cusp of losing the "proverbial golden goose", and if they do, they are done. They will get replaced by someone else with better efficiency and lower overhead. That may happen. Will be interesting to see it play itself out and where the dust finally settles. Bottom line from my point-of-view is that as long as it ends up being better for the kids when we get through this all, then I am in support of whatever direction they go. No one should lose sight that without the kids, there are no games or an OHSAA.
I agree. Whatever happens I hope that things will turn out better for the kids.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

oh$aa should have “tightened the purse strings” a long time ago and if they had they wouldn’t be in the situation they are in now

Return to “Football”