League play only schedule

greygoose
SEOPS

League play only schedule

Post by greygoose »

Thought I would start this since there's going to be a lot of talk on how each league is going to do their schedule. Instead of filling up the shortened season part. I by no means know each and every league but there will need to be adjustments made that is for certain. What leagues will be able to pull this off and who is going to have to find an opponent if there's not one on the schedule that will be short a game also.

Let's start with the SVC, with a 8 team conference they all play 7 league games, how might the adjust they're scheduling?? Drop the first 4 weeks of the season and only play 6 league games then do you have a true conference champion??

SOC 1---Has 6 teams so you're looking at an entire league in need of an additional game unless they choose to play each other a 2nd time, which to me I'd rather find a different opponent.

SOC 2--Is in the same boat as SOC 1 in terms of # of teams within their league. I think this is where you'll see a team like Wheelersburg and Jackson keep their game on the schedule as both fall 1 game short of the 6 mark. Looks like Waverly has Washington CH who would fill that void. Looks like Lucasville Valley could keep Northwest on the schedule assuming it's the same as last year and they'd be set. Looks like West will also be in search of a game themselves, as they will be unable to play Raceland and everyone else has 6 conference games

FAC--Another conference where every team is going to need to find an extra game. Looks like Jackson would be good with Burg and that game played week 1. Chillicothe assuming max preps is correct could keep Logan on the schedule and they'd be set. Washington CH can keep Waverly on the schedule and be set.

OCC--Is going to find it's in the same position as SVC in terms of typically playing 7 league games. So which team gets dropped off, that week 4 opponent or 10 and if so will you have a true champion should teams not play if there's a tie a top the conference.

Feel free to add on as I know there's plenty of leagues and there will be a ton of questions and information being put out as well as jockeying of schedules.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: League play only schedule

Post by formerfcfan »

To clarify the OCC: since they’re already split into five groupings of six: weeks 6-10 under the previous 10-game schedule are all OCC conference games, with weeks 4 and 5 crossovers across the OCC.

So to an extent, by slotting forward weeks 5-10 into the new 1-6 they still have an “out of conference” game with the crossover game originally scheduled for week 5 now in the reformed week 1.

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

Gonna be interesting to see how the schedules get set up as well. For example, West and Burg are usually a week 10 game but could be like the Big Ten with OSU and TTUN the game got moved to the middle of the season. It would definitely be weird for rivals across the state to be playing in the middle of September. Feel bad for the ADs having to figure this out...

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:07 pm Gonna be interesting to see how the schedules get set up as well. For example, West and Burg are usually a week 10 game but could be like the Big Ten with OSU and TTUN the game got moved to the middle of the season. It would definitely be weird for rivals across the state to be playing in the middle of September. Feel bad for the ADs having to figure this out...
This is a freakin mess to say the least

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:07 pm Gonna be interesting to see how the schedules get set up as well. For example, West and Burg are usually a week 10 game but could be like the Big Ten with OSU and TTUN the game got moved to the middle of the season. It would definitely be weird for rivals across the state to be playing in the middle of September. Feel bad for the ADs having to figure this out...
I don't think you'll see any real flexing of schedules like this. It just throws to much into flux by doing that because you add a lot of unnecessary moving parts. Should teams have a non-conference opponent that matches up like a Burg and Jackson it's simply easier to make that the week 1 game and league games stay the same weeks only played weeks 2-6 in the case of leagues that only have 5 league games. Question for me is going to be the larger league like the SVC where they play 7 conference games and last 2-3 years I think the SVC has come down to those week 10 games. However they can only play 6 something has to give.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:39 pm
Question for me is going to be the larger league like the SVC where they play 7 conference games and last 2-3 years I think the SVC has come down to those week 10 games. However they can only play 6 something has to give.
A round-robin of eight teams produces 28 games over seven weeks, as there are four games a week and seven weeks. Subtract one week and there’s 24 games to schedule.

Within a round-robin of eight teams, there are four teams that play 4 home and 3 away and the other four play 3 home and 4 away. To contract to 24 games (six weeks), the simple solution is eliminate the fourth home game for the four teams as it eliminated the fourth away game for the other four teams. That balances to 3 home and 3 away for all eight teams.

Consider the following...

Team 1 plays Team 2, 4 and 6 all at home; Team 3, 5 and 7 away. Team 1 does not play Team 8.

Team 2 plays Team 3, 5, and Team 8 all at home; Team 1, 4, and 6 away. Team 2 does not play Team 7.

Team 3 plays Team 1, 4 and 5 all at home; Team 2, 7 and 8 away. Team 3 does not play Team 6.

Team 4 plays Team 2, 6 and 7 all at home; Team 1, 3 and 8 away. Team 4 does not play Team 5.

Team 5 plays Team 1, 6 and 7 at home; Team 2, 3, 8 away.
Team 5 does not play Team 4.

Team 6 plays Team 2, 7, and 8 at home; Team 1, 4 and 5 away. Team 6 does not play Team 3.

Team 7 plays Team 1, 3 and 8 at home; Team 4, 5, and 6 away.
Team 7 does not play Team 2.

Team 8 plays Team 3, 4, and 5 at home; Team 2, 6 and 7 away.
Team 8 does not play Team 1.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Adena - 1
Huntington - 2
Paint Valley - 3
Piketon - 4
Southeastern - 5
Unioto - 6
Westfall - 7
Zane Trace - 8

Adena plays Huntington, Piketon and Southeastern all at home; Paint Valley, Piketon and Westfall away. Adena does not play Zane Trace.

Huntington plays Paint Valley, Southeastern and Zane Trace all at home; Adena, Piketon and Unioto away. Huntington does not play Westfall.

Paint Valley plays Adena, Piketon and Southeastern all at home; Huntington, Westfall and Zane Trace away. Paint Valley does not play Unioto.

Piketon plays Huntington, Unioto and Westfall all at home; Adena, Paint Valley and Zane Trace away. Piketon does not play Southeastern.

Southeastern plays Adena, Unioto and Westfall at home; Huntington, Paint Valley and Zane Trace away.
Southeastern does not play Piketon.

Unioto plays Huntington, Westfall and Zane Trace at home; Adena, Piketon and Southeastern away. Unioto does not play Paint Valley.

Westfall plays Adena, Paint Valley and Zane Trace at home; Piketon, Southeastern and Unioto away.
Westfall does not play Huntington.

Zane Trace plays Paint Valley, Piketon and Southeastern at home; Huntington, Unioto and Westfall away.
Zane Trace does not play Adena.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:07 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:39 pm
Question for me is going to be the larger league like the SVC where they play 7 conference games and last 2-3 years I think the SVC has come down to those week 10 games. However they can only play 6 something has to give.
A round-robin of eight teams produces 28 games over seven weeks, as there are four games a week and seven weeks. Subtract one week and there’s 24 games to schedule.

Within a round-robin of eight teams, there are four teams that play 4 home and 3 away and the other four play 3 home and 4 away. To contract to 24 games (six weeks), the simple solution is eliminate the fourth home game for the four teams as it eliminated the fourth away game for the other four teams. That balances to 3 home and 3 away for all eight teams.

Consider the following...

Team 1 plays Team 2, 4 and 6 all at home; Team 3, 5 and 7 away. Team 1 does not play Team 8.

Team 2 plays Team 3, 5, and Team 8 all at home; Team 1, 4, and 6 away. Team 2 does not play Team 7.

Team 3 plays Team 1, 4 and 5 all at home; Team 2, 7 and 8 away. Team 3 does not play Team 6.

Team 4 plays Team 2, 6 and 7 all at home; Team 1, 3 and 8 away. Team 4 does not play Team 5.

Team 5 plays Team 1, 6 and 7 at home; Team 2, 3, 8 away.
Team 5 does not play Team 4.

Team 6 plays Team 2, 7, and 8 at home; Team 1, 4 and 5 away. Team 6 does not play Team 3.

Team 7 plays Team 1, 3 and 8 at home; Team 4, 5, and 6 away.
Team 7 does not play Team 2.

Team 8 plays Team 3, 4, and 5 at home; Team 2, 6 and 7 away.
Team 8 does not play Team 1.
I get what you're saying, however this isn't how an AD is going to look at it. They're going to get on a conference call and say ok what week do we want to drop? All of that after talking with their head coach who's going to say doesn't matter just get me 6 games. We'll all be playing the same amount of games but will all be missing out on playing 1 particular team. The idea of balance with 3 home and 3 away games will be irrelevant as that can be done by simply switching who's the home team. Given that spectators will be limited no one is going to miss out on some large gate total. Concession stands more than likely won't be opened anyways.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Possibly forgo conference games to determine league champion. Schools play their already week 1 - week 6 opponents and then enter playoffs. Then schools eliminated from said playoffs could continue playing season out till the deadline date set by the OHSAA.
Example: Minford
Wk 1: at Rock Hill
Wk: 2 Chesapeake
Wk 3: Greenup County, Ky
Wk 4: at Willmingtion
Wk 5: East Clinton
Wk 6: at Wheelersburg
Then Playoffs. Once eliminated they could schedule remaining West/Oak Hill/Waverly/Valley or other opponents dropped from playoffs. It would be too hard for school districts to move conference games into weeks 1-6. Just don't worry about conference champion rightship and play for playoffs .,.. Just a thought

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:50 pm Thought I would start this since there's going to be a lot of talk on how each league is going to do their schedule. Instead of filling up the shortened season part. I by no means know each and every league but there will need to be adjustments made that is for certain. What leagues will be able to pull this off and who is going to have to find an opponent if there's not one on the schedule that will be short a game also.

Let's start with the SVC, with a 8 team conference they all play 7 league games, how might the adjust they're scheduling?? Drop the first 4 weeks of the season and only play 6 league games then do you have a true conference champion??

SOC 1---Has 6 teams so you're looking at an entire league in need of an additional game unless they choose to play each other a 2nd time, which to me I'd rather find a different opponent.

SOC 2--Is in the same boat as SOC 1 in terms of # of teams within their league. I think this is where you'll see a team like Wheelersburg and Jackson keep their game on the schedule as both fall 1 game short of the 6 mark. Looks like Waverly has Washington CH who would fill that void. Looks like Lucasville Valley could keep Northwest on the schedule assuming it's the same as last year and they'd be set. Looks like West will also be in search of a game themselves, as they will be unable to play Raceland and everyone else has 6 conference games

FAC--Another conference where every team is going to need to find an extra game. Looks like Jackson would be good with Burg and that game played week 1. Chillicothe assuming max preps is correct could keep Logan on the schedule and they'd be set. Washington CH can keep Waverly on the schedule and be set.

OCC--Is going to find it's in the same position as SVC in terms of typically playing 7 league games. So which team gets dropped off, that week 4 opponent or 10 and if so will you have a true champion should teams not play if there's a tie a top the conference.

Feel free to add on as I know there's plenty of leagues and there will be a ton of questions and information being put out as well as jockeying of schedules.
In the SVC I would say they play their first 6 scheduled league games before playoff game. With the new format they will still be able to play their last league game after the playoff loss. The only issue I see is if a team makes a really deep playoff run. Even then as long as the game is played before the deadline they should still be able to get the last league game in

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

If ADs were on same page, I would just reverse all the schedules. Burg opens up with west.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Combine the OVC with SOC for this year, have a big Division and small Division.

Wheelersburg, Waverly, West, Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallia Academy, Minford.

Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Fairland, Coal Grove, Oak Hill, South Point, Valley.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

I wonder if they’ll suspend league play for this year and play like the first 6 games of teams schedules? It would take a lot of headaches away from trying to reschedule 5 or 6 league games for 6 or 7 teams.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Even if any games gets played, maybe one. Or two or three games out of six will be cancelled for virus. League games come first, you take care of your member schools first and then think about others. But I see where maybe it’s a me me situation of teams overlooking there own league members over what they think is a stronger non league. In my eyes all your league teams should be played first, take care of each other but six games this season is really a outside shot as it stands

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am Even if any games gets played, maybe one. Or two or three games out of six will be cancelled for virus. League games come first, you take care of your member schools first and then think about others. But I see where maybe it’s a me me situation of teams overlooking there own league members over what they think is a stronger non league. In my eyes all your league teams should be played first, take care of each other but six games this season is really a outside shot as it stands
:roll: :roll:

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:45 am Combine the OVC with SOC for this year, have a big Division and small Division.

How can you decide who’s in what division though? Off of record or size of the school?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I didn’t realize the 6 game idea still needed governor approved. All this can change in a second. Full season or short season or no season. A decision needs to officially be made because this is a headache to say the least. I read daily times story this morning.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Beergogglebluez
SE

Basketballfan40 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:45 am Combine the OVC with SOC for this year, have a big Division and small Division.

How can you decide who’s in what division though? Off of record or size of the school?
Ovc has enough schools and pretty fair competition. If anything like that would even be a thought put south point in the weak SOC

Beergogglebluez
SE

Division 1 Mac just called off sports. Possible huge hit to Ohio since a lot of those colleges are in the state. You are going to cancel college and not high school. I’m a bit worried now

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Heard the OCC (Ohio Capital Conference) will play weeks 5-10 on current schedule. This will allow all OCC to complete League Division games except the one that has 8 teams in the division- others have 6.

Return to “Football”